Solar controller and Battery help please (1 Viewer)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Ok here goes. Battery going flat after all day charge on ehu and solar panel charging at 16.56v instead of the normal 14.5v
Battery shows full at 13.5v after sundown and after unplugging hook up but only last maybe 3 hours and battery showing 10.5v new battery purchased 5 months ago ????? My theory is that the controller has gone tits up and cooked battery I am in south of France at Mo Nr Avignon
Help please and theories thank Garry flatpackchicken

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
10.5V is the signature voltage of a battery with one duff cell.
A fully charged 12V battery will be around 12.7V or 2.1V per cell. Loose one cell and you have a five cell battery; 5 x 2.1v = 10.5V.

Gordon

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, battery fubah I am afraid..
The charging circuit is more or less running free hence the silly high voltages your getting :Sad:

I suppose the controller could be shot but it does not sound like it to be honest..
Take battery back from whence it came and kick off Gary !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
This is a long shot, but worth a try.

If the charger connected to the EHU shuts down when the battery is fully charged, then the 16.56V the solar panel is chucking out will have effectivly turned it off. So you are only getting the solar panel output - which may or may not be doing enough.

I would disconnect the solar panel (following proper instructions, or I'm told you can fubar the regulator, assuming it isn't already) & try a day on EHU only. If it then holds it's charge, it's the solar panel regulator that's at fault - or just general lack of sunshine.

But either way, 16+V won't have done the battery any good, particularly if it's AGM. If it's the sort you top up, it could be gasping for a drink about now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like battery to me too.

solar panel open voltage should be around 17v so also check the connections between controller and battery but rapidly discharging battery after hookup charge does point to a duff battery.

battery cells can fail at any time without warning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Update new battery fitted today and solar holding charge now at 14.5v and ehu holding at 13.49v. Took furs out of solar panel between controller and battery and no ehu and no engine on and showing 13.13v exactly the same as the engine battery. Old battery (4 months old) completely dry in all 6 cells looks like no acid water in battery from new or battery boiled dry although stills looks slightly wet on bottom of each cell. So there you have it everyone 1 cooked battery and 1 new battery installed at £160 110A hope this solves the problem and thanks for every ones help much appreciated Regards Garry flatpackchicken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back