Solar charging (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi

I have recently purchased a used MH with solar panels installed ( not sure of spec of theses as yet ) Unfortunately all details of this aspect were overlooked at handover and a quick call to get some assistance didn't help greatly. " The regulator will have been set up to charge the batteries " ( there are 3 leisure batteries ).

Any way, I located the regulator but I have no idea how these things work. I have taken some photos ( attached ) and wonder if one of you kind souls could explain, in layman's terms, how this setup works.

Thanks
Ghr082mtTaK2bdwWyZOQFQ.jpg
buOefFDcTISMpuOqHObYvg.jpg
wg3%ekIbTGCSE1hKS+C3bA.jpg
L90pv2twRBW4Fgyo1YYcAw.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The solar regulator has two inputs from the panel, positive (red) and negative (black). There are three output wires to the batteries. Because the negatives of the starter and leisure batteries are connected together, there is only one negative wire, which does for both. The negative is blue, the positive for the leisure battery (Wohnraum batterie) is black, the positive for the starter battery is red.

The blue and black leisure battery outputs are fed into the Elektroblock by the connector just by the mains plug marked 'Solar Regler'.

For some reason, on some Elektroblock models including this one I assume (can't see the model number in the photo), there is no proper input for the solar regulator starter battery output. There are various ways to get round this, and your setup is quite a neat solution. It's a bit complicated.

The 5-pin connector in front of the EBL has been unplugged, and a 5-pin plug and socket with short wires put in to extend it. Four of the wires are just connected straight through. The fifth (red) has been modified. Instead of going straight through, it first goes from the EBL plug to the solar regulator starter battery connection, then comes back from there to the extender plug.

That pin of the plug is a dual-purpose wire. When on mains hookup, a set of relays automatically connect the mains charger to the starter battery. When not on mains hookup, another set of relays automatically connect the starter battery and fridge, but only while the engine is running and the alternator is providing power. So this pin has been used as a convenient way to access the starter battery.

In addition to this, you have an extra mains charger, because the charger internal to the EBL is not beefy enough to charge 3 leisure batteries. The three output wires go to the 'Zus. Lader' 3-pin connector on the EBL, and the fuse for this is the one marked 'Zusatz Laderegler'

OK, total failureo_O, can anyone translate this into layman's language:(?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
/\ That... Perfectly explained I think. Needs no further posts that may confuse

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
At least you can see your fuses I can’t find mine????

OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
The solar regulator has two inputs from the panel, positive (red) and negative (black). There are three output wires to the batteries. Because the negatives of the starter and leisure batteries are connected together, there is only one negative wire, which does for both. The negative is blue, the positive for the leisure battery (Wohnraum batterie) is black, the positive for the starter battery is red.

The blue and black leisure battery outputs are fed into the Elektroblock by the connector just by the mains plug marked 'Solar Regler'.

For some reason, on some Elektroblock models including this one I assume (can't see the model number in the photo), there is no proper input for the solar regulator starter battery output. There are various ways to get round this, and your setup is quite a neat solution. It's a bit complicated.

The 5-pin connector in front of the EBL has been unplugged, and a 5-pin plug and socket with short wires put in to extend it. Four of the wires are just connected straight through. The fifth (red) has been modified. Instead of going straight through, it first goes from the EBL plug to the solar regulator starter battery connection, then comes back from there to the extender plug.

That pin of the plug is a dual-purpose wire. When on mains hookup, a set of relays automatically connect the mains charger to the starter battery. When not on mains hookup, another set of relays automatically connect the starter battery and fridge, but only while the engine is running and the alternator is providing power. So this pin has been used as a convenient way to access the starter battery.

In addition to this, you have an extra mains charger, because the charger internal to the EBL is not beefy enough to charge 3 leisure batteries. The three output wires go to the 'Zus. Lader' 3-pin connector on the EBL, and the fuse for this is the one marked 'Zusatz Laderegler'

OK, total failureo_O, can anyone translate this into layman's language:(?

Fantastic...you have explained it brilliantly.... thank you so much

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The LR1218 is the solar regulator-on right in photo charges both leisure and engine battery and I think the bit on the left is an additional charge for charging bigger battery banks.
i had an LR1218 regulator which work ok but changed it for a Votronic duo250 mppt regulator which works a lot better

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
there nothing you need to know its all automatic and theres nothing to adjust realy if its working leave it alone

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
until it isn't working.. then he's in the dark... literally :D
Better to have half an idea so if the time comes you have half a chance of fixing it.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Your 2nd picture is of the back of your Elektroblock which is, basically, a box of tricks used to distribute the vans power to the different electrical systems. . There's are made by a firm called Schaudt, and the model number is behind the black cable on the left and is "EBL something or another". You can download the manual from their website at https://www.schaudt.gmbh/de/service-support/downloads.php. The site is in German, but just select Elektroblock EBL from the top drop down and then you get choices which are with or without charging, then two choices of with or without seperate display panel. Or just try each option til you find your model.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m not sure which type they are. Does it make much difference?

its just that your charger is set to charge gels, any other type of batteries may not get the right charging regime and may damage batteries or charger or both...

OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
its just that your charger is set to charge gels, any other type of batteries may not get the right charging regime and may damage batteries or charger or both...

Thanks for that, I’ll check tomorrow

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Probably easy to work out, but in case you're not sure: the switch labelled 'Batterie Wahl' (= Battery Selection) allows you to select Blei Gel (= Lead Gel) and Blei Saure (= Lead Acid)

OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Probably easy to work out, but in case you're not sure: the switch labelled 'Batterie Wahl' (= Battery Selection) allows you to select Blei Gel (= Lead Gel) and Blei Saure (= Lead Acid)

This is the battery...not obvious which type it is

Attachments

• 154D0BD6-5813-4969-8FE1-445E9D1E5959.jpeg
    154D0BD6-5813-4969-8FE1-445E9D1E5959.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 24
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
AGM, you have them on the right setting, (GEL) they don't get good reviews as a leisure batteries but i had mine for seven years ....
These are proper AGM batteries, which should be recharged with the extended absorption phase like Gel batteries. They are 'starved electrolyte with recombinant charging phase', unlike some 'AGM Technology' starter batteries used as leisure batteries, which do not do well on AGM/Gel setting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back