Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Sticker Battery's

Ignoring the fact that there is no such thing as a Marine Battery, I would suggest all these battery's are the same Chinese made rip off.

You have no way of knowing the specification of these battery's as you wont be able to find the manufacturer.

I was once told it costs about 40p per item to apply your sticker/name to any product.

Attachments

• deka_large.jpg
    deka_large.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 0072111277507_A.jpg
    0072111277507_A.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 28
  • dc8690cd4e2b4d1a2eb4bb7af0ff715b.jpg
    dc8690cd4e2b4d1a2eb4bb7af0ff715b.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • M27-DC.jpg
    M27-DC.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Sticker Battery's

Ignoring the fact that there is no such thing as a Marine Battery, I would suggest all these battery's are the same Chinese made rip off.

You have no way of knowing the specification of these battery's as you wont be able to find the manufacturer.

I was once told it costs about 40p per item to apply your sticker/name to any product.

These are my batteries. They sound good going by the manufacturer website.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
I've done some more checks. This was the weather and the reading I was getting although batteries show fully charged so won't draw much it proves the panel can handle bad weather.

I had the can disconnected so it was only the leisure battery getting the charge.

I will do this test again when it's dark to see what draw there is.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 38

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
These are my batteries. They sound good going by the manufacturer website.
Turkish company never hear of them, your batteries do not look like their leisure ones so looks like you have starter batteries.
Don't think you will have much luck with warranty as they will probably do a CAA test which they most likely pass.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ok, assume the batteries are charged up, more or less as 13.2v is a shade low if nothing is turned on, then turn a TV or two on and monitor the voltage. Don't bother to wait until it gets fully dark because the panel isn't doing much now.

I suggest check every 30 minutes and if it gets down to 12 turn everything off. Given what you've said earlier I suspect you may not need to wait long.

In fact it might be worth checking every 15 minutes at first to check how quickly the voltage falls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Ok, assume the batteries are charged up, more or less as 13.2v is a shade low if nothing is turned on, then turn a TV or two on and monitor the voltage. Don't bother to wait until it gets fully dark because the panel isn't doing much now.

I suggest check every 30 minutes and if it gets down to 12 turn everything off. Given what you've said earlier I suspect you may not need to wait long.

In fact it might be worth checking every 15 minutes at first to check how quickly the voltage falls.
Will do and will let you know. Thanks. Will have to be tomorrow though as its teaming it down now. Lol.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In answer to an earlier question: the only limits on the amount of solar panels are roof area and the size of your wallet. You cannot have too much solar.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Also in the resources section is a list of leisure batteries that have been independently tested and verified by the NCC. You can also visit their website for the latest updates to their list.
At last we can have some factual data from an independent test house on just how good (or crap) leisure batteries really are and not have to rely on false claims by some manufacturers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Also in the resources section is a list of leisure batteries that have been independently tested and verified by the NCC. You can also visit their website for the latest updates to their list.
At last we can have some factual data from an independent test house on just how good (or crap) leisure batteries really are and not have to rely on false claims by some manufacturers.
Nothing independent about the NCC it is funded by manufactures, dealers and suppliers.

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015

Well I've been out and just got back. I found that my on board display gives a false lower reading. (Not a bad thing I suppose as I'll see a low voltage earlier than I have one).

I put my meter over the battery charge lead so shows both batteries and it's at 13V. Same as what my solar display shows so will treat that as my accurate reading.

Everything has been off only solar drain which I've just tried to measure and my metre shows nothing. Meant to be 4mA according to manufacturer so wouldn't expect much so that's good news. I should have changed my meter setting but didn't but I'm happy there isn't a significant drain from the solar at night.

I've just turned all main lights on and TV and battery level now after 15 minutes shows 12.1 with things on and 12.8 with them all off again.

Left it another 30 minutes with the same lights and TV back on and can see level displayed as 12V. With lights off and TV on it goes back to 12.6V.

Watched a bit more TV with lights on and added locker lights and bathroom lights, entrance way lights and external light as well as all reading lights (6 of) and kitchen light to add more load. More than I'd ever have on at once. Battery level now shows 11.4V under load and 12.8V with everything off.

That equates to 0.2V drop over 1hr 5 minutes.

Do you still think batteries are shafted as you've all said and I have now tested hopefully correctly thanks to some good advice. Or do I need to retest for a longer period.

I wanted to prove it so I have some ammunition when I take them back to try and replace them under warrantee if needed. If so and I can't replace them I'll buy some others from somewhere else I think. Caravan shop not car spares shop.

Let me know your thoughts again.

Many Thanks. It's much appreciated. First rough camping this year for 4 days off grid at end of May so want to make sure I'm leisured up good. It was just that I lost power last August rough camping for 4 days again. Radio and lights all died but lights worked after some time off again. This was during evening when dark so there was no solar recovery until the next day when I got some charge back in them. Don't know why it happened. Hence doing all these checks.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well I've been out and just got back. I found that my on board display gives a false lower reading. (Not a bad thing I suppose as I'll see a low voltage earlier than I have one).

I put my meter over the battery charge lead so shows both batteries and it's at 13V. Same as what my solar display shows so will treat that as my accurate reading.

Everything has been off only solar drain which I've just tried to measure and my metre shows nothing. Meant to be 4mA according to manufacturer so wouldn't expect much so that's good news. I should have changed my meter setting but didn't but I'm happy there isn't a significant drain from the solar at night.

I've just turned all main lights on and TV and battery level now after 15 minutes shows 12.1 with things on and 12.8 with them all off again.

Left it another 30 minutes with the same lights and TV back on and can see level displayed as 12V. With lights off and TV on it goes back to 12.6V.

Watched a bit more TV with lights on and added locker lights and bathroom lights, entrance way lights and external light as well as all reading lights (6 of) and kitchen light to add more load. More than I'd ever have on at once. Battery level now shows 11.4V under load and 12.8V with everything off.

That equates to 0.2V drop over 1hr 5 minutes.

Do you still think batteries are shafted as you've all said and I have now tested hopefully correctly thanks to some good advice. Or do I need to retest for a longer period.

I wanted to prove it so I have some ammunition when I take them back to try and replace them under warrantee if needed. If so and I can't replace them I'll buy some others from somewhere else I think. Caravan shop not car spares shop.

Let me know your thoughts again.

Many Thanks. It's much appreciated. First rough camping this year for 4 days off grid at end of May so want to make sure I'm leisured up good. It was just that I lost power last August rough camping for 4 days again. Radio and lights all died but lights worked after some time off again. This was during evening when dark so there was no solar recovery until the next day when I got some charge back in them. Don't know why it happened. Hence doing all these checks.
I think there can be no doubt the batteries are gone. The voltage should not have dropped below 12 in such a short time, you should have been able to last much longer.

In the longer term you might like to change the bulbs to led but getting the batteries replaced and subsequently looking after them is the first step.

As an aside batteries do recover a bit when you turn off the load, but don't be fooled by it in this case. It is the 11.5 under load which is telling. :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Dave, at the end of the day and I'm not being rude (y), you have been told by many that your batteries are dead and need replacing. I would not hold your breath getting them replaced and even if they do replace them!!! if they give you the same make (never heard of them!) you will be in the same place within a short time. Buy your own batteries from a good source (I use Battery Megastore) then you will be sorted at have more faith in your system. I'm on my third year on my batteries this month and they are as good as the day I fitted them. I draw around 20 amps each day and at bed time they still read 12.7volts after they recover (around 20 minutes), but I do look after them and make sure they are FULLY (this is the key) at least once a week and the rest of the time solar tops them up (UK sun this time of the year will NEVER charge them). I'm using our MH 247 365 right now.
The more time you waste hoping they are ok the least faith you will have in your system.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This may be so! However they do state the batteries are tested by an independent test house and not themselves.
Having looked at the list I don't reckon it's fit for wiping your bum with.
They list 3 pages of batteries that have a cycle life of 70, totally useless for a leisure application. Quite a number of the batteries are re-branded ones so you don't know what manufacturer they come from. The battery with the highest cycle life is only 265 cycles. No mention of Exide Gel's which have a cycle life of 900 at 50% DOD, no mention of any Exide or Varta batteries, but they do give rubbish Banner batteries loads of listing.
How can anyone believe they are independently tested.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There is only 3 pages a because the scheme is new and as more batteries are tested more results will appear. This would explain why the Exide or Varta batteries, plus others are not yet on the list. Not sure where you got the battery with the highest cycle life is only 265 cycles when clearly the class A batteries are all (so far) rated above that with some at 1000 cycles.
People can believe they are independently tested because the NCC has stated this in writing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is only 3 pages a because the scheme is new and as more batteries are tested more results will appear. This would explain why the Exide or Varta batteries, plus others are not yet on the list. Not sure where you got the battery with the highest cycle life is only 265 cycles when clearly the class A batteries are all (so far) rated above that with some at 1000 cycles.
People can believe they are independently tested because the NCC has stated this in writing.
I missed the first page but I still wouldn't trust anything the NCC get involved in they are an organisation for the benefit of their members who bear their running costs.

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
After a day or no-use and a bit in the sun I had 13.5V battery level 18:30. I turned on all lights external locker, bathroom kitchen etc etc more than I'd ever use. The radio. Both TV's and left it to do its stuff. I've just turned them all of 2.15 hours later. My batteries were showing 11.5V whilst under load and went to 12.5V with everything off. They haven't settled yet so it may recover some more. It's not dark so may have been solar assisted. Maybe I should have disconnected the solar before testing. May retry without solar tomorrow but as I was told previously the solar probably wouldn't be doing much at this time of night.

I shelled out £160 on these batteries so want to be completely sure they are shot (although I know a lot of you tell me they are) before possibly buying new ones (as I'm told I'll probably not be able to claim on warrantee (or shouldn't replace with same if I can).

Every time I test them they seem to be getting better.

For info the lights are LED strips but I'm thinking of changing them again anyway for some lower power ones as they do draw quite a lot and are excessively bright anyway.

Thanks again for the responses.

Dave.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Dave, this will be my last post on the subject. The batteries are NOT getting better - the LEDs are fine - Solar does NOT work at night. Good luck for the future.

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Another quick question then. What batteries do you all recommend. There has been a couple of responses from people telling me where to buy but not any telling what make people use / recommend / swear by etc also and is 110 the best to go for or something else. Is Gel the way forward or stick with sealed.

Many Thanks.

Dave.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Another quick question then. What batteries do you all recommend. There has been a couple of responses from people telling me where to buy but not any telling what make people use / recommend / swear by etc also and is 110 the best to go for or something else. Is Gel the way forward or stick with sealed.
Gel's have a long life and can be discharged lower but take longer to recharge they are also twice the price, personally I won't use anything else. You can only fit Gel's if your charger has a Gel setting a standard wet cell charger will never give them a full charge also advisable to have a solar regulator with a gel setting most of the good quality ones have.
For wet cells Andy @Techno rates Hankook highly for a top brand battery can't go far wrong with Vata, have a look a Tanya Batteries one the cheapest suppliers of top range batteries.

To carry out a more conclusive test on your batteries:-

1. Fully charge the batteries, the charger should take them up to 14.4v and hold at that voltage for an hour before dropping to a maintenance voltage of 13.2 - 13.8 (dependant on charger).

2. Switch off the charger, disconnect the solar panel. Leave to stand for an hour Battery should read a minimum of 12.7v. Or load up to 10 amps and run for 5½ hours.

3. Switch on lights TV etc until drawing 5 amps from batteries and leave running for 11 hours. This represents 25% of your battery capacity. Or load up to 10 amps and run for 5½ hours.

4. Switch off lights TV etc and leave for at least ½ hour then measure voltage should read a minimum of 12.4v

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 this will represent a 50% discharge and after ½ hour voltage should read a minimum of 12.2v

You shouldn't really discharge wet cells below 50 % but it won't hurt them too much to do it once (they are knackered anyway) you could repeat the test taking them down to 75% discharged, voltage should then be a minimum of 12.0v.

You do need to use a multimeter that is known to be fairly accurate.

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Many thanks people. I'll have a look and decide when to buy from.

OP
OP
Dave Flegg
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
As a
follow on to all you lovely people who commented on this post. I have got to the bottom of my issue. I returned batteries to dealer and hey returned them to the manufacturer.

The manufacture have tested the batteries and confirmed there is nothing wrong with them. Apart from 1 little issue. They were infact not leasure batteries but car batteries. They were 110 car. Breakdown in communication when shop ordered them in. Tobe fair they looked like leisure batteries in size and shape and labels didn't say they weren't. Getting 2 replacement leasure from them so hopefully all will be good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back