Solar Charge regulator (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have been having doubts about my solar panel charge regulater for a while now.

This morning open circuit volts on the panel was 17.6v
With the panel connected to the regulator it goes down to 12.88 and the load side (hab batt) showing the same.

Now if i switch the onboard charger on, the hab batt side reads 14.12 v which is to be expected but the solar panel side has gone up the same, I don't think it should do that or am I wrong?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This morning open circuit volts on the panel was 17.6v

With the panel connected to the regulator it goes down to 12.88 and the load side (hab batt) showing the same.

Now if i switch the onboard charger on, the hab batt side reads 14.12 v which is to be expected but the solar panel side has gone up the same, I don't think it should do that or am I wrong?

12.88 looks OK - reg is hard on trying to charge battery. 12.88 is all it can manage for the current being drawn.

14.12 tricky. If the charger is set to charge to 14.12 or hits it's current limit at 14.12 then the solar may also be trying to raise this but limits at 14.12, in other words it's still hard on.

What I'd try is putting a 6W ( or 21W ) bulb across the solar output and get a reading ( or 2 ) and see what the thing delivers. With only 6W it shoud be able to fully light it and then you'll read it's maximum voltage. If it hits 17V then it looks like the output transistor has gone short circuit.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Will give that a go Brian:thumb:

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
may as well chuck in my 2 penoth, readings seem normal, the charge regulator is just seeing the battery voltage. When a external charge is applied the reading across the battery terminals will rise, the regulator if a simple one will just be seeing that voltage irespective of the solar panel. i.e. it will see the higher of the two voltages. then seeing a higher voltage it will reduce or even cut off the charge from the solar panel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not into electronics but surely if the charger is on its taking some of the load off the solar charger and the controller input voltage will rise accordingly.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I assumed that the input side of the regulator would only read the imput volatge from the solar panel I didn't expect voltage to be flowing back from the output side of things

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assumed that the input side of the regulator would only read the imput volatge from the solar panel I didn't expect voltage to be flowing back from the output side of things

just my way of seeing it.....

its not feeding back.

the input voltage from the panel is getting sucked and sqeezed into the controller to give a variable output voltage/current (load)....ease the sucking and sqeezing by turning on the onboard charger and the voltage will rise as its not needed as much.

much like a battery on load, the volts will be lower than off load...even if only loaded for a few seconds.

probably talking bollox though. :Doh:

pinkgin

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto
Exp
15 + years,
cant help with the problem dane But just wanted to say WELCOME BACK,,,,::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back