LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can not see that the waste matter is broken down with the 'oxygen' because the fan is not on long enough and the air is not drawn through the liquid.
I agree that the solids are not broken down in the short time the fan runs or for the time waste is in the cassette if as we do and empty at every chance and at least every day.

However I would not now be without my SOG for the sheer convenience (& another pun) it gives in being able to empty almost anywhere, anytime and not having to carry chemicals.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have had SOG units on last 3 vans and would not be without one...I am sure when people say they smell what they are smelling is a far more likely waste tank pong

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Is it just me that thinks they are a waste of time. I think my desktop computer fan is more powerful than the sog one.
I just use blue and empty daily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Break down of solids is not caused by, or completed by the action of the SOG fan - although it must help a bit. The fan is there to enable the Thetford to be used without the need for chemicals to mask the odour that normally comes up through the open blade valve.
Break down of contents occurs as a result of continuous access to the open air and, as mentioned by 'chockswahay', the action of movement. Remember that the SOG system includes a pipe that allows continuous free access of air whether the fan is working or not. The standard (older) Thetford is a sealed unit, apart from a pressure relief valve that is designed to prevent build-up of pressure inside the cassette with the inevitable result of 'vesuvian-like' eruptions when the blade is opened. This is not a free air passage as is the case with SOG.
The whole point of the SOG is that it requires no additives to the cassette, enabling it to be emptied anywhere (within reason). I often use public toilets when wild-camping in the Scottish Highlands, being careful to choose a quiet time and go equipped with a can of air freshener.

In response to the previous post, I certainly don't think the SOG is a waste of time and the fan is a lot more powerful than the one in my computer - but I have to admit that I have never had the urge to cr*p in my computer anyway!:LOL::LOL:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We always have signs in our van loos and have done for years it says ' feel free to pee but don't poo in my poe'. Goes back to the old days when my sister had a caravan with just a glorified bucket for a loo.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In response to the previous post, I certainly don't think the SOG is a waste of time and the fan is a lot more powerful than the one in my computer - but I have to admit that I have never had the urge to cr*p in my computer anyway!:LOL::LOL:
:LOL:

Jock.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is it just me that thinks they are a waste of time. I think my desktop computer fan is more powerful than the sog one.

Yuck.....but once you open the trap fumes coming up into the van, deodarised or not. Surely better being sucked outside...

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Yuck.....but once you open the trap fumes coming up into the van, deodarised or not. Surely better being sucked outside...

I can't really say how bad the smell is without a sog as this is our first motorhome and it came fitted with one. We did have a caravan without a sog and that never smelt bad but I did empty it daily.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Take a dump on your desktop then and see how it works!:LOL::rolleyes:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
JeanLuc in response to the previous post, I certainly don't think the SOG is a waste of time:) and the fan is a lot more powerful than the one in my computer - but I have to admit that I have never had the urge to cr*p in my computer anyway!:LOL::LOL:[/QUOTE]

JeanLuc, obviously you have never had problems with your computer, i have felt the urge to cr*p in mine on more than one occasion.:)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
JeanLuc, obviously you have never had problems with your computer, i have felt the urge to cr*p in mine on more than one occasion.:)[/QUOTE]

MacBook Pro for me - would never go back to Windoze now :):)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Haha, no c**p on mine either- Macbook Air for me:p

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:hi: Just wanted to say that thanks to all you funsters who commented on this thread, we are now the proud owners of a SOG bog!!! Hubby fitted it today, we tested the air flow (with a lighted jos stick :smiley: !!) and all seems to be as it should. So looking forward to many safe and odourless travels in the future :clap:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Finally paid a chap (works for a well known dealer) to fit ours. We have now emptied three cassettes and all seems to be working well and odour free in the van. (y) A little pungent when emptying but hey ho - no more costly chemicals to buy. :eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A little pungent when emptying but hey ho - no more costly chemicals to buy. :eek:

Bio washing liquid, as no doubt recommend on this thread by others, is what we use in our SOG. It doesn't completely kill the smell but it is lot better than the "pure" contents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back