Ann&MikeMancs
Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
Will do. Many thanks (will try to find how to search lol)
Ann

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It is a weird device that sucks air from the cassette when the blade is opened, sounds good in principle not so sure in practice

We had one on last van

The air has to be taken out from the top of the cassette, so there is something else to fiddle with when emptying cassette

We also suffered the ultimate price, not sure that ours was properly fitted, but drove with full cassette and ended up with brown streaks down side of MH as contents tried to escape through air vent

Another gimmick I would not pay for if not already fitted (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To save asearch........a SOG is a basic 12v fan which extracts fumes from your cassette, passes the fumes through a carbon filter and sends it merrily on its way to the great outdoors.

Works well but the contents of the cassette dont get chance to decompose and stink to high heaven when you empty out.

It negates the need for chemicals so can be emptied in any kind of sewer drain....chemicals should never be emptied into a septic tank system as the chems kill the good bacteria.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
SOGs are brilliant things that enable you to avoid using Earth-destroying chemicals. Also a great topic of conversation here: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/sog-toilet-emptying-bio-hazard.95904/page-4
You will be left in the cold if you don't have one. :) Put one on your Christmas list.

Rumours that the manufacturer is bringing out a turbo version to deal with constipation are I think just wishful thinking - unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Never felt the need for a Sog, depends how you use your loo. If you want to open the valve and plop straight into the tank then it might help. I'd rather plop into a bit of water, then close the lid and activate the valve, No smells at all, maybe mine doesn't smell. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Never felt the need for a Sog, depends how you use your loo. If you want to open the valve and plop straight into the tank then it might help. I'd rather plop into a bit of water, then close the lid and activate the valve, No smells at all, maybe mine doesn't smell. :)

? Too much information ?

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
SOG is great to let the whole world that your using the loo! You flush, and when the pump is running, it turns on a fan, thus pulls air from inside the motorhome, down trough the toilet, down into the poo tank, across the wee and poo, and pumps it outside, over the next doors dinner table (if your loo is on the drivers side) and out under you awning if you loo is on the caravans door side!

You take a perfectly good Thetford toilet, drill holes into it, bodge into the wiring and cut a hole in the door, just to stink the high heavens out when you empty it, and stink out your awning or next doors dinner every time you have a wee (do use if your easyily embarrassed lol) oh yes and the simple slide in action of the cassette, is compromised as you have to hook up and disconnect the fan to the tank every "in and out" action.

Formaldehyde by the way can be used in chemical treatment plants, we didn't think it could be when we built our camp site and had special tanks installed for chemical toilets. Only to find that the problem is the high concentration of solids in cassettes and holding tanks that can cause treatment plants problems rather than the formaldehyde.

Of course none of that is a problem with a SOG as you never get chance to build up solids as the smell is so bad you have to empty it every day ::bigsmile:

I guess that's why Thetford don't add it as standard!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
SOG is great to let the whole world that your using the loo! You flush, and when the pump is running, it turns on a fan, thus pulls air from inside the motorhome, down trough the toilet, down into the poo tank, across the wee and poo, and pumps it outside, over the next doors dinner table (if your loo is on the drivers side) and out under you awning if you loo is on the caravans door side!

You take a perfectly good Thetford toilet, drill holes into it, bodge into the wiring and cut a hole in the door, just to stink the high heavens out when you empty it, and stink out your awning or next doors dinner every time you have a wee (do use if your easyily embarrassed lol) oh yes and the simple slide in action of the cassette, is compromised as you have to hook up and disconnect the fan to the tank every "in and out" action.

Formaldehyde by the way can be used in chemical treatment plants, we didn't think it could be when we built our camp site and had special tanks installed for chemical toilets. Only to find that the problem is the high concentration of solids in cassettes and holding tanks that can cause treatment plants problems rather than the formaldehyde.

Of course none of that is a problem with a SOG as you never get chance to build up solids as the smell is so bad you have to empty it every day ::bigsmile:

Well after that, I really must get one!

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User

My Thetford loo has none of the "bodging" you speak of. The SOG is built in at the factory. The only evidence that it exists apart from the carbon filter in the cassette chamber slot is a button on the flush panel in the loo. this gives the user the choice of using SOG or not. In modern units the thetford cassettes are greatly reduced in size anyway and need emptying more frequently. (everyday if not on main sites) so the contents don't have chance to break down. Another reason to empty the smaller cassettes each day is to allow for the possibility of overnight illness that can occur. We all have times when things upset us down below and it is a comforting thought to think the loo can take it when needed.
I do add a little bio washing machine liquid from Lidl each day through choice.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My Thetford loo has none of the "bodging" you speak of. The SOG is built in at the factory.
Are you sure you have a SOG? Thetford do the C250 electric ventilator kit. This is what is normally used if your system is factory fitted.

I do add a little bio washing machine liquid from Lidl each day through choice.
Presumably to combat the smell of poo rotting down? ;)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
SOG is a system which does away with chemicals altogether. It uses bacteria to break down solids. We have one, and yesterday I contacted SOG who said dont use chemicals.
Phil
Which is of course why it smells so bad when you flush and empty your cassette ;)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The benefit of not using chemicals IS that you don't have to wait for it to be full to empty it as there is no expense. Personally I much prefer to empty it everyday before it gets heavy I don't see that as a handicap.
In our experience it does not smell outside, that is usually down to not renewing the filter.

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Are you sure you have a SOG? Thetford do the C250 electric ventilator kit. This is what is normally used if your system is factory fitted.

Presumably to combat the smell of poo rotting down? ;)
Quite possibly have a C250 unit. I stand corrected if that is the case. The reason I put the Bio in the tank is to to mask the smell when emptying. I'd rather smell the Bio than the other proprietory brands .

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would not have a van without one. have a look at your soil stack on your house..it is vented to the air. if you dont have a SOG when you open the trap contents are venting into the van..how disgusting is that! no matter how nasty or sweet smelling the chemicals you use.

plus you can empty into a toilet with a clean conscience.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The SOG has a carbon filter to reduce the pong blown out when used. These do need replacing periodically and I think a lot of users don't to go by the niff of some of them.

I use bio liquid which removes the pong and is so cheap it isn't expensive to empty daily, which I always do if an emptying point is available. This also has the advantage that the cassette isn't so heavy if the emptying point is not too near. (and I prefer it not too near if people are emptying SOG cassettes :reel:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back