Sog Vent trying to be an oven vent!? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
When we saw our van at the dealers and decided to buy it, we pointed out that the oven vent was a sog vent and had warped and needed changing for the proper one.

Stupidly, they sent for another sog vent cover which not only didn't match up with the current screw holes, it was still a sog vent cover and I am pretty sure Sog don't make heat proof covers. As we were desperate to get on our way and had appointments else where, we said forget it, we will get the correct cover ourselves.

Anyways, five months on we still haven't found one and if the oven is in use for more than 10 minutes there is a smell of hot plastic and the cover does get very hot.

Does anyone know what cover should be fitted, or what might make a suitable replacement?
20190307_175219.jpg
20190307_175158.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Sandra

What have you got these days? Most these days including ours have the tectower with a roofvent over them. Not the greatest ovens but they work.

Jon

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Jon

The van is a 2008 Carthago S-plus and the oven is a Smev under the hob job. If I could still get the draw fronts for this age of van I would take the oven out and do with out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally when fitted in the wall it's just a vent, no cover. I reckon it is a dealer retro fit, nothing to do with Carthago.
Best option would be to get a stainless steel one fabricated.

Also lots of ss vents and covers for boats avalible

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Jon

The van is a 2008 Carthago S-plus and the oven is a Smev under the hob job. If I could still get the draw fronts for this age of van I would take the oven out and do with out.

There might be another van with a smev oven vent that could post a photo of it for you to take a look at ?

Ps. Please don’t get rid of the oven, we find it helpful for warming up lasagnes when we park next to you :)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If it was me I would fit a fridge vent, the trouble is heat getting trapped in that cover it wouldn't get as hot if it could escape. :LOL: Bob

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jon

Nice one, our previous Arto had the same - Sue loved it but we all like different things.

relooking at the photo - the problem as you ve already identified with changing things is that it leaves holes. I wonder if getting another cover but getting your resident technical expert to fashion some holes in the top of it might just help - heat rising etc?

failing that it probably wouldnt break the bank to get a vented cover fabricated in stainless or aluminium, small engineering shop etc, theres a very good one in Shrewsbury but sure there are ones closer to you.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The sog cover has finally been removed and this is the mess that was underneath. What you cannot see from the photo is the melted insulation all around the inside flue pipe!

The mess has been cleaned up and a spare cover fitted for now. The oven is out of bounds until we can get this sorted out.
20190310_103732.jpg
20190310_114724.jpg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Carthago used these 'spare' covers over the oven vent. The oven must've been used a lot to cause that. I'd run the oven and see how much heat comes through.
Your SOG vent will be through the roof but comes with the SOG kit supplied to the fitter. You can imagine that they would have plenty lying around, so they use them instead of anything else. You may not believe it, but they like to keep costs down.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would find a metal fabricator to make one your never going to find some thing of the shelf to fit the screw holes have you thought of asking the guy on here who fabricates for sidecar racing is it enworld or similar. Some one do an @ for me

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. We want to try and match the existing screw holes if we can, if not we will get a custom fit, stainless steel one made when we are back in the UK.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
i would find a metal fabricator to make one your never going to find some thing of the shelf to fit the screw holes have you thought of asking the guy on here who fabricates for sidecar racing is it enworld or similar. Some one do an @ for me
Thanks Steve we can but ask. @Enword is this a job too small?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely that stainless duct should be double skinned to prevent heat transfer to the wall.
If it was the styrene insulation wouldn't have melted.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Surely that stainless duct should be double skinned to prevent heat transfer to the wall.
If it was the styrene insulation wouldn't have melted.
Cannot disagree with you. If we had looked earlier and realized how poor the fitting was, we wouldn't have used it at all.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
it might be an idea to install a new flue aswell while youre at it. a bit of a faff but I think it would be well worth it to put a flue with a liner in

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't see why things need to be made more complicated than they are ... simply leaving the round cover in place and adapting the existing SOG one with a grid of some sort, either plastic, metal etc, would sort it - the round cover will prevent rain getting in so the outer is only a cosmetic fix due to the existing holes. If you want you could drill some holes in the top of the SOG surround to allow any heat to escape just to be doubly sure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just had another thought (yes it happens occasionally) what about getting a grill and then curving to fit over the existing cover, metal would be better as it won't get stressed by being bent as a plastic one could. The below is a curved light but it gives you an indication of what I mean by 'curved'.

61Xdij3p1EL._SY450_.jpg

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
it might be an idea to install a new flue aswell while youre at it. a bit of a faff but I think it would be well worth it to put a flue with a liner in

We certainly plan to add a liner to the existing flu before fitting the new cover, whatever that may be.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We certainly plan to add a liner to the existing flu before fitting the new cover, whatever that may be.

you might find that the bit you can see is actually the external part of a double lined flue anyway.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We have friend's (honestly I have some:p) here at the moment, but give me some dimensions at some point. or I can PM you my number OK. better still send the old knackered one to me (y)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
If you used a stainless steel vertical flue as illustrated in some of the links, then a SS base plate could be welded to it and made to any size or shape to cover existing holes, That then could be easily sealed with Sikaflex as that part being the base plate does not get hot and look like it was made for the job.
If all else fails you might have to get one of these:

s-l640.jpg

Les :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you go down the aluminium or stainless grille route from a ferreteria usually they do not come with any holes so you could drill to suit existing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back