Sog Toilet (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
My apologies if I suggested you used chemicals in your cassette - I had forgotten your earlier post where you describe how you manage your waste.

Perhaps we all need to go back to the OPs question re SOG and give balanced reasons for its use or otherwise
Warm regards,

Look no problems, poo threads do tend to bring out the humour in us ; but amungst those i feel that the antisoggers put forward some valid points.

regards

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
the thing to remember about motorhomes toilets, is they are holding tanks not mini septic tanks or sewage processing stations.

they were designed to hold the deposits untill enough built up to dump into a proper sewer or septic tank where it will then be processed properly.

so when you start adding things like that yeast, microbes, and fans to help breakdown the solids, you are trying to turn the holding tank into a septic tank, and a septic tank needs to be vented as the process of breaking down the solids creates gas.

the standard bog tank has a vent valve yes, but it's spring loaded and there to release any pressure build up, i.e. driving up a mountian, as some people have found out when it sticks, you hear a hissing sound from the blade, those in the know keep the lid down and gently open the valve to let the air out, those that dont put their head down the bowl listening for the hissing noise, then open the blade fully... then spend the next week in and out of the shower trying to get the smell out of their hair.

Adding a sog means the vent is open all the time, but that's just turning the tank into an RV's type of holding tank, just the vent is thru the side of teh door via a filter instead of up a pipe to the roof.

sogs are german by design, and were brought out as a solution to the chemical ban happening in germany, a few sites already dont allow chemical loos to be emptied, and apparantly one day all will be like that, so the sog is a solution, but it does seem to create another problem,

it does break down the waste into a slurry, but in doing so is producing gas, and when you empty it, you know about it (of course some people have a less sensative nose to others)

Spot on Gazzasam

Portaloo's are temparary holding units for poo and not designed as sewage plants,i also doubt that the there would be a deal of breakdown in its short term use.
i don't like the idea of my poo tank being open to the outside. (implications are obvious)

I agree with the Germans chemical additives should be banned, we poison the planet enough without that stuff.I will continue to use my portaloo the same way i've used it for many years no additives, emptied on a regular basis, no problem no need to fit a sog.

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with the Germans chemical additives should be banned, we poison the planet enough without that stuff.I will continue to use my portaloo the same way i've used it for many years no additives, emptied on a regular basis, no problem no need to fit a sog.

Regards

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Agua Kem Green ..
I have no particular interest but seems to solve the problem of nasty chemicals and negate the need for a SOG .. any comments for the SOG lovers ?

Aqua Kem Green is a non-toxic formaldehyde-free toilet fluid which is also concentrated and highly effective. It does not irritate eyes or skin and is environmentally friendly.

The 375ml size is convenient to handle and to stow away. Recommended dosage rate is 75ml of fluid per 10 litres of waste tank capacity.

• Biological fluid for toilet waste holding tank
• Prevention of gas build-up
• Odour control
• Awarded several ecological quality hallmarks
• Discharge allowed in campsite septic tanks
• Effective up to 4 days

Aqua Kem Green stimulates biological activity in the waste holding tank: micro-organisms biologically break down the toilet waste. With average use, Aqua Kem Green acts for a maximum of three to four days. It remains fluid down to a temperature of -20ºC and is still effective after thawing. This product is particularly suitable when emptying the waste holding tank into septic tanks on camp sites.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back