Sodium Metabisulfite for sanitising the water system? (1 Viewer)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I've used Sodium Met. to sanitise all my homebrew kit for years with great results, is there any reason not to use it to flush through the water system in a MoHo once in a while?

Obviously the system would need to be flushed well with clean water after treatment, I was more concerned about any adverse effect it may have on seals/heating system etc.

Cheers
Red, Chris and Bannock

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Why tap water is full of calorien it.s all i have ever used i have brought up 4 boy's 15 grand children and my tank water hasn't killed them yet
bill

Cool, 15 rugrats!, I'm happy for ya'...

In answer to your question, because the MoHo water system is not used everyday, like tap water, and could be stagnant for quite a while between use... but that is not my question.

I'm not saying that it has to be done, just asking if anyone is aware of any adverse effects on the water system if it is used...

Cheers
Red.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Cool, 15 rugrats!, I'm happy for ya'...

In answer to your question, because the MoHo water system is not used everyday, like tap water, and could be stagnant for quite a while between use... but that is not my question.

I'm not saying that it has to be done, just asking if anyone is aware of any adverse effects on the water system if it is used...

Cheers
Red.
would not use magsulf there is plenty of commercial option but me i would just drain the tank fill up with tap water sulfate products copper matrix in heaters don't like them drop a copper penny in and it will shine nicely that because the surfer has attacked it stainless steel dose not like it nether tap water is what i use
bill

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to sterilise the system then you can get purpose made tablets. Aquatabs are widely sold in outdoor shops and they are cheap. You don't have to flush them out afterwards.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
What are the directions saying.

DSC_5238[1].JPG

This wouldn't sit in the system for a long time, it's a case of put some water in the tank, add a little Met Bi, stir it up, run all taps/shower on COLD, as the water heater gets hot enough to kill anything off.

Drain the system and flush with a few litres of fresh water, exactly the same as for homebrew kit.

Frequency, I was thinking once, maybe twice a year.

If you want to sterilise the system then you can get purpose made tablets. Aquatabs are widely sold in outdoor shops and they are cheap. You don't have to flush them out afterwards.

Broken Link Removed

I'm not sure but I think they are designed to purify a quantity of water, not sanitise a system.

Cheers
Red, Bannnock and Chris

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I thing for six pounds verses up to £1000 or more for a new boiler i would go with buying sum tabs or tap water flushing haven't known any one who has died from there motorhome water yet.
Its your system only you will know what you will do we can only advise good luck what ever way you decide
bill

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The water in our tank may well be sat for weeks between trips. We drink it and we've never had any issues.

Don't see any reason to overcomplicate something for the sake of it.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Don't think I would use it personally.

You can buy Puri Sol that is recommended for the job.
A bottle is about £8 and does two tank/system cleans.

As they say though ya pays ya money .............

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sodium Metastuff, I cannot even say it so it sounds dangerous/
Over the last few years I have blown all the water out of the system with an airline, then flush it through when re-filling. The only problem being the shower water, where this year it developed its own particular odour, reminiscent of bathrooms on a bad day.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
View attachment 192245

This wouldn't sit in the system for a long time, it's a case of put some water in the tank, add a little Met Bi, stir it up, run all taps/shower on COLD, as the water heater gets hot enough to kill anything off.

Drain the system and flush with a few litres of fresh water, exactly the same as for homebrew kit.

Frequency, I was thinking once, maybe twice a year.

I'm not sure but I think they are designed to purify a quantity of water, not sanitise a system.

Cheers
Red, Bannnock and Chris
So any that gets in your water heater will stay there for a while? As Bill says, try it if you want, I've used the sterilising tablets once a year, leaving it in for minimum of 24 hours in order to kill any bugs hiding in corners or any algae etc. If you read down in this link it talks about Aquatabs removing "biofilm" from the inside of water systems so it does more than just treat the water. It also mentions using vinegar but I would not recommend that if only because of the aftertaste. http://www.aquatabs.com/home/market-categories/marine-airlines/
I've used citric acid to descale my water heater. It is very effective but you have to thoroughly rinse it out afterwards. I completely filled and drained my system twice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back