So where did you ski this winter ? (1 Viewer)

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wow what a FAB season. We took the Kontiki to France and Switzerland for a 4 week ski tip. LaClusza, Flaine, LesGets, Samoens then up to our hideaway resort in the Berner Oberland, Adelbodon. Interested to know your favouite Ski hideaways. I'm not a happy bunny now sitting in the office gaining pennies for the next trip

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Wow what a FAB season. We took the Kontiki to France and Switzerland for a 4 week ski tip. LaClusza, Flaine, LesGets, Samoens then up to our hideaway resort in the Berner Oberland, Adelbodon. Interested to know your favouite Ski hideaways. I'm not a happy bunny now sitting in the office gaining pennies for the next trip

Hi kontiki,
We skiied in Pralognan in the french alps, for a couple of weeks. Moved around to haave a look at soem other resorts. And and and, two weeks ago we skiied in Scotland at Glencoe which was fabulous. Not bad for our first season skiing.:RollEyes:

Going again in February and can't wait. not sure where, anywhere as long as theres snow

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Great to hear like minded people. Don't see many GB motorhomes in the alps for skiing and recently joined this site so thought I'd check it out to see how many replies I got. Was that you first year skiing or taking the motorhome skiing ?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M

max123

Deleted User
Hi Kontiki98
We skiied at Les Saisies - 4th skiing trip in 3 years - absolutely love it and can't get enough of the snow. Super resort and hoping to be back there for Christmas and New Year. Will try the aires this time as more central to the village.
Helen

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Great to hear like minded people. Don't see many GB motorhomes in the alps for skiing and recently joined this site so thought I'd check it out to see how many replies I got. Was that you first year skiing or taking the motorhome skiing ?:thumb:

Both, first time skiing and first time taking the motorhome skiing. However deffinately not the last. have you checked out this web site Link Removed

Lots of good reviews and Ive even put one up myself.:Cool:
Cant wait for next year now

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Tried it for the first time last year , ran down to La Grand Bornand ::bigsmile: absolutley brilliant , loved it ::bigsmile: Unfortunatly with starting a new business this year hav,nt been able to go again :cry::cry: Maybe next year :winky:

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
so where did you ski

Thanks Haganab for the link. Haven't seen this before and it's really usefull.
Have been to the LaCluza site a few times and love the place. Keep it a secret though otherwise we won't get in !!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi had one night at Piau Engaly in the Pyrenees, does that count?:ROFLMAO: Both daughters had a 1 hour lesson in the morning and then we left.

It was decided that as I am the only driver, (over 7.5t) and I didn't have winter sports insurance, that I had better not try it.:cry: Hired a sledge though ::bigsmile: get fun. Hoping to go next Jan for 2-3 weeks but a bit closer to home.

Olley

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
go for it Olly - but don't break a leg.

Mark breen

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
go for it Olly - but don't break a leg.

Hi We did the the grand bournard(in our 33" trail lite) and les 2 alps (by plane which took 16 hours to get there!!) go by motorhome much easier by far with grade "a" accommodation.:shout:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We took our RV to Brixem im Thale near Kitzbuhel.

We planned a two month stay but only managed two days.

Fantasic site , fantastic skiing ( if we had the chance ) but minus 22 was

just TOO cold for the RV.

There is a few photos on Daisy's web site from there

Link Removed ( no adverts and not selling anything :Doh:

The good news is that MILTON KEYNES is fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys got the ski bib&brace (don't know the technical name for them) and Ski jacket from TK Max since we came back, so now I have the gear we gotta go.::bigsmile:

Good price, the B&B was £20 reduced from £200 and the jacket £40 down from £150 designer lables but last seasons colours :Sad: but I think I can live with that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
We are hoping to do a bit of skiing next season, but I'm worried how the Rv would stand up to the cold:pray::pray:

What would you do Billy if you were to go again to keep your RV happy?

Or do you think American RV's are not best suited to Skiing?

Andy

Mark breen

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hi Kontiki98
We skiied at Les Saisies - 4th skiing trip in 3 years - absolutely love it and can't get enough of the snow. Super resort and hoping to be back there for Christmas and New Year. Will try the aires this time as more central to the village.
Helen

Hi does the aires have hock up and water?
Regards Mark.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Bearing in mind it was seriously cold, our RV could not cope.

We had survived a week in England a couple of years ago at minus 12

with no problems and thought we would be OK.

We were wrong and no amount of pre planning would have made our RV suitable for that cold.

There was a nice Hymer next to us that had absolutely no issue at all

with the temperature. The owners said they spent a week there a couple

of years ago at minus 30 with no probs.

Having said that obviously some RVs are better than others !

We had snow chains ( which we did not use ) but the site owner was

not impressed saying only snow tyres were any use. I am not sure why but

he definately knew more about the subject than us .

Another issue was fitting a German gas bottle onto the extenda stay. I did not

go into too much detail on that one but it didn't look like a simple task as the

fittings diameters were totally different. There probably is an answer to that

one but it was TOO COLD to worry about.

The autogas which we bought high up in Germany which we use for

the domestic side worked but reluctantly.

We would have gone to a site lower down but on the way to Austria our car packed in

living and as the ski busses did not run from low down the valleys we cut our

loses and left................sadly

BUT AT LEAST WE TRIED:thumb:

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Billy

I think the only way to tell is to prepare as best you can (as you did), give it a go, keep your fingers crossed, but above all be flexible (and not bloody minded!!)

That said, I never was any good at following my own advice :Doh:
Andy

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yep - the cold is obviously the problem. Most we have suffered is -27 :Sad: and the Kontiki was totally frozen. We drove down to the lake and I scooped up snow in a saucepan, heated it and gently thawed out the pipes :Doh:. The leisure battery froze which was also an issue. We are now more prepared. Leisure battery is relocated under the internal seat, pipes and floor lagged. We are ok now down to about -15. To survive properly you really need the water tanks and pipes in a double skinned floor. This is what we are hoping to buy soon ::bigsmile: Happy skiing:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yep - the cold is obviously the problem. Most we have suffered is -27 :Sad: and the Kontiki was totally frozen. We drove down to the lake and I scooped up snow in a saucepan, heated it and gently thawed out the pipes :Doh:. The leisure battery froze which was also an issue. We are now more prepared. Leisure battery is relocated under the internal seat, pipes and floor lagged. We are ok now down to about -15. To survive properly you really need the water tanks and pipes in a double skinned floor. This is what we are hoping to buy soon ::bigsmile: Happy skiing:thumb:

You cant beat being outside with a hairdryer thawing out your pipes ::bigsmile: its what makes the holiday.
I leave my waste undone in to a bucket, lag all teh external pipes with some Been and Qued lagging, Drop some hot water down the pipes in the am and pm. The most important thing is that you have an internal freshwater tank. You can always use bowls if your external pipes freeze. :thumb:

Cant wait to get back again next year. Perhaps we should organise a meet.

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are just in the process of trading in our Kontiki for a Hobby 725. Should be great for next year's skiing. Double floor and all that - Here's hoping.
Yes a meet up sounds good:thumb:

H

hannah29

Deleted User
we always go at least 3 times a season to livigno in italy.....love the place and the prices as its a duty free resort. its a very cheap journey out there too as we can fill up on duty free in luxembourg there and back and also in the resort. we have friends who full time out there in a hymer and have only froze once at -32. we have a euramobil and have never froze in temperatures down to -27 and the same for our friends in there hobby 700....so a hobby will be great
hannah

ned

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
skiing in 2008

Hi kontiki and all you sliders out there,

We went out three times this year and had fantastic skiing even for our inexperienced old bones ( 65 come christmas). Tried La Bresse in the Vosges.....great if there is some snow. It got really cold (-15c) which crisps up the snowfalls a little and stayed on the Aires there for free and with skiing from 6 in the morning to 10 at night, with cheap ski passes as well, we certainly had our fill. That was in January. On the other occasions we went to Manigod ( excellent but small but also free Aire) and in April ended up at Les Saises. Absolutely brilliant:thumb::thumb::thumb: We have a few places to go next year but the price of deisel the last time cost us another £100 more than when we went in Jan' If things don't change we are going to have to go for one trip of 5 to 6 weeks as this will make it much cheaper. Look forward to hearing from you all!

Keep them waxed !!!!!! Ned

B

Badshot

Deleted User

Don't recognise this Aire do you?

2530277703_38bceb585e.jpg

ned

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
winter skiing

Hi haganap

NO but it looks an interesting stopover. We must follow this one up matey-pips. I'd display a picture of Le Bresse but I am not sure how!

Keep em waxed ....... Ned

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Looks very much like LesGet. We stopped there this year in Jan for a couple of nights. We'll that's if I've got it right ????:Smile:

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
les gets

yes its les gets it takes 40 motorhomes at the bottom off the 6 man chair perrie or something like that. we were in an apparttment up the hill 2 years ago but it was not white it was green not to good that year

OP
OP
Kontiki98

Kontiki98

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had a thread with a Motorhome meets skiing link.

This is now linking to a web.mac site which doesn't seem to contain the information and the tabls don't work. Has anyone got the old data of winter ski aires.

Thanks
Both, first time skiing and first time taking the motorhome skiing. However deffinately not the last. have you checked out this web site Link Removed

Lots of good reviews and Ive even put one up myself.:Cool:
Cant wait for next year now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back