So where are we now with Europe? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Did you ask for it?
I phoned her up said we were off to europe in a couple of weeks do we need a green card? answer yes ( i'm not convinced). not sure where we were going to end up because of all the China bug stuff, no problem I will send you one that covers anywhere you think you might be going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I fail to understand re our motorhome insurance as opposed to travel insurance. If the rules at least for Europe is, the vehicle has to comply with the road traffic act of the country it is registered in which ours and many do? How can a motor insurance policy become invalid do to a illness that affects people not the motorhome. If you were abroad and where you are changes would you be uninsured. Are insurance companies going to give us a rebate for reducing cover, at the moment our van has been sorned since the end of December but still fully comp. given the reduction in use by many leading hopefully to less claims it would appear cake and eat it sounds about right.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I fail to understand re our motorhome insurance as opposed to travel insurance. If the rules at least for Europe is, the vehicle has to comply with the road traffic act of the country it is registered in which ours and many do? How can a motor insurance policy become invalid do to a illness that affects people not the motorhome. If you were abroad and where you are changes would you be uninsured. Are insurance companies going to give us a rebate for reducing cover, at the moment our van has been sorned since the end of December but still fully comp. given the reduction in use by many leading hopefully to less claims it would appear cake and eat it sounds about right.
Did not know some were.Both my travel and vehicle insurances are valid during Covid..BUSBY

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its been discussed on the other thread in quite some detail, it appears to be AIB who don't cover a MH in an 'amber' country and from what's been said in this thread some of the MH insurance policies via NFU too:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Irelands on the green list if it weren't for the bumped up ferry prices i would have that on my list .
If you have Tesco vouchers you can turn them in to Deal vouchers to use on some of the ferries which cuts the cost drastically.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
If you have Tesco vouchers you can turn them in to Deal vouchers to use on some of the ferries which cuts the cost drastically.
Yep have done that on the P&O Liverpool - Dublin in the past ( not sure if they still take motorhome bookings ,a phone call would be required) and Irish ferries and Stenna also take them but Stenna up the price by £80 for using vouchers. Got about £30 worth so will have to save a bit more.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It is part of the Uk "common travel area" meaning anyone comes & goes as they please.
not quite.

Updated:23 June 2021Latest update:
Updated information on what the Irish Government will accept as proof of being fully vaccinated ('Entry requirements' page)
Travel to Ireland is subject to entry restrictions
  • From 16 June, all passengers travelling from Great Britain must quarantine at home for 14 days. The period of home quarantine can be shortened following a negative PCR test after 5 days for fully vaccinated passengers, and after 10 days (following a negative PCR test) for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated passengers
  • There is a legal requirement for all travellers to quarantine on arrival for 14 days, with limited exceptions.
  • All passengers must complete a 14-day mandatory hotel quarantine if you have travelled from any country deemed high risk by the Irish government. This also includes travelling through an airport or port in a high risk country and for those arriving without the required negative/not detected PCR test.
  • Travellers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are outside the scope of quarantine schemes, unless they have been overseas during the 14 days prior to their arrival in Ireland.
  • All passengers arriving at Irish ports and airports are required to have evidence of a negative/ ‘not detected’ test from a pre-departure Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Ireland. Antigen or other test types do not meet the requirement.
  • People arriving in Ireland without evidence of a negative/‘not-detected’ test result will be committing an offence and may be subject to prosecution, punishable by a fine not exceeding €2,500, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both. They will also be required to undertake mandatory hotel quarantine. Passengers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are not in scope of this announcement but any such travel is subject to the public health restrictions in place in Northern Ireland and Ireland respectively.
  • All passengers arriving in Ireland must complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form. If you don’t fill out this form you may be fined up to €2,500 or receive a prison sentence of up to 6 months.
  • Please see the list of private providers of COVID-19 testing in the UK for the purposes of international travel. If testing for travel to Ireland, ensure it is a RT-PCR test.
  • Travel to the UK from Ireland is still possible, but disruption is also possible and you should check the local UK guidance in place at your destination. If you are due to travel to or from Ireland please check with your travel operator. Further updates will be published when they are available. Check our advice on things to consider, and be prepared to stay overseas longer than planned

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
  • Travellers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are outside the scope of quarantine schemes, unless they have been overseas during the 14 days prior to their arrival in Ireland.

......and the apparent get out clause :)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
How's that a get out clause?. If you travel from the mainland and just drive over the border looks like it could be expensive.

These two paragraphs more than cover my post above, unless I'm misinterpretating things. Besides the ethical issue of potentially spreading CV19, there are no checks in place between ROI and NI - that border issue was negated by having the border placed in the middle of the sea:

1. Travellers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are outside the scope of quarantine schemes, unless they have been overseas during the 14 days prior to their arrival in Ireland.

2. . Passengers whose journey originates in Northern Ireland are not in scope of this announcement but any such travel is subject to the public health restrictions in place in Northern Ireland and Ireland respectively

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I read overseas as including mainland GB otherwise what would be the point in quarantining travel direct to Ireland?. As you say the border is now in the middle of the sea so we are overseas

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I read overseas as including mainland GB otherwise what would be the point in quarantining travel direct to Ireland?. As you say the border is now in the middle of the sea so we are overseas

I suspect this is where the ROI-GB CTA makes things a wee bit different from everyone else entering the ROI.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If they are allowed entry in to the UK mainland using a driving licence then either the same applies the other way& with no covid tests or restrictions , or lets have a proper border back up & ship all the itinerants out.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they are allowed entry in to the UK mainland using a driving licence then either the same applies the other way& with no covid tests or restrictions , or lets have a proper border back up & ship all the itinerants out.
That's a bit like saying if we stop people from one country coming here because of covid they automatically should stop people from here going there. I don't see what normal entry requirements have to do with covid restrictions.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's a bit like saying if we stop people from one country coming here because of covid they automatically should stop people from here going there. I don't see what normal entry requirements have to do with covid restrictions.
It is only Eire that has the CTA .should have been removed years ago. They should not be allowed in without a valid reason, rather than can come & go with far less trouble than someone English.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back