Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
No, I'm not going to escalate things. The way it is parked now, cannot cause an obstruction to either the roadway, or the path. Just the overhang on the council verge. :Sad:

Parking it on the road is not going to happen, as I am mindful of the need for emergency vehicles to have easy and fast access. A house just down from us got totally burned to the ground just over a week ago.

Link Removed

As it is, there were 3 separate complaints made, whilst the MH has only actually been parked there for 4 days. 3 separate complaints doesn't seem 'right' somehow. At the end of the cul-de-sac a woman runs a creche from her house. Most tots arrive by car, just one woman walks by with a pram. I think that is where the problem lies, the mums are all ganging up to support her, so it's probably not even a neighbourhood resident. We have to put up with the screaming kids all day long though. Not too chuffed about that.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You have my sympathy on this issue.

Our MH is parked inside our property, actually in the rear garden, which is surrounded by a 7ft high solid fence all the way around, including the gates.
The only thing that can be seen of the MH is the top 2 to 3ft sticking up over the fence.
Someone complained that the vehicle was to big for the area and should not be parked on our estate and I had the due visit from the law.
Took them for a look at the MH and was told it must be over the weight limit for the area cos it has three axles. We live in a 7.5t area. I said to them that the signs say "unless access is required". So why do you need access was the reply. Cos I f***ing well live here and the MH is 5t max anyway.
After apologising for my language, and when they had stopped laughing, we shook hands and I have not heard another thing. Glad they had a sense of humour.

Another case of jealous neighbours I fear.
It takes all sorts to make the world the place it is. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
No, I'm not going to escalate things. The way it is parked now, cannot cause an obstruction to either the roadway, or the path. Just the overhang on the council verge. :Sad:

Parking it on the road is not going to happen, as I am mindful of the need for emergency vehicles to have easy and fast access. A house just down from us got totally burned to the ground just over a week ago.

Link Removed

As it is, there were 3 separate complaints made, whilst the MH has only actually been parked there for 4 days. 3 separate complaints doesn't seem 'right' somehow. At the end of the cul-de-sac a woman runs a creche from her house. Most tots arrive by car, just one woman walks by with a pram. I think that is where the problem lies, the mums are all ganging up to support her, so it's probably not even a neighbourhood resident. We have to put up with the screaming kids all day long though. Not too chuffed about that.

Is the creche licensed? If you can find out it could be the best weapon you have,but if you are happy with what you have done ,don't let it burn you up. It does seem as though the source of complaint is the creche.

Apr 30, 2008
South Beds
Funster No
Exp
27yrs ish
I would park it on the road, however it isnt really wide enough for it and a reversing dustcart. That could be a very expensive parking charge. We have a very wide grass verge after the pavement, and our drive extends this length, from the road to our double garage. The pathway is half way up. One of the police suggested parking across the drive, rather than up the drive, on the road side of the pavement. Getting her on there will be a juggling act, but I'll give it a go and see if more complaints ensue. Other than that, its either dig up the front garden and create hard standing, or storage. There is storage about 20 miles away, I think at Cranfield. Shall check it out.
Many people round here where I live long ago gave up on a flowered front garden. They removed part of the low brick wall: put down shinge etc to be able to get more than one vehicle off the road and not have to shunt vehicles about.
I had to to get the MH and the wife's car onto my former grass and flower beds. By use of a membrane and different coloured rocks it looks ok and is maintenance free; apart from the odd weed. The MH sits on the concrete part of the drive because of its weight. The car on the shingle.
Is that an option??

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have not read all the post but if you park with all wheels on the road and nothing overhanging the pavement provided the van is taxed,test and insured then you are not comming any offence.PARK away :thumb:It would be the same as a builders van parking ::bigsmile:
terry

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi I have not read all the post but if you park with all wheels on the road and nothing overhanging the pavement provided the van is taxed,test and insured then you are not comming any offence.PARK away :thumb:It would be the same as a builders van parking ::bigsmile:
terry

Although on most roads you would be corrected it is still possible to cause an unnecessary obstruction even if parked as described

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
IANDSM I have to agree, getting revenge by retaliating would achieve nothing but further bad feeling. If it's possible to de-escalate the situation then surely that would be preferable. Living in a cul-de-sac 'at war' would become unbearable for all.

Wyn

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IANDSM I have to agree, getting revenge by retaliating would achieve nothing but further bad feeling. If it's possible to de-escalate the situation then surely that would be preferable. Living in a cul-de-sac 'at war' would become unbearable for all.

Wyn

Also how could you go away relaxed .
I would be constantly worried over the house.

I am veryl lucky my neighbours are great and look after the house and cat.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is one reason why we were extremely happy to move from a cul-de-sac - nothing but trouble especially from the little Hitlers who've lived their for donkey's years and think they own the place.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i had similar problem i resolved it sold the house quite rat race then
I moved in to the MH full time
No jealous neighbors to bother me
great life far less pressure /stress/ hassle

summer in UK winter in Europe
best of both worlds

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
i had similar problem i resolved it sold the house quite rat race then
I moved in to the MH full time
No jealous neighbors to bother me
great life far less pressure /stress/ hassle

summer in UK winter in Europe
best of both worlds

Snap.

I had lived in my house for 8 years. in the last 2 years the school opposite my house got knocked down and a set of new houses built. This totally changed the character of the area. Then when the neighbours got a dog which barked from 06:30 - 22:30 almost none stop I had enough.

Best thing I ever did was moving out of shoulder to should housing for the freedom of the road.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Have you considered this.

If the other people who live nearby are normal (ish) not ASBO types why not go to each in turn and simply say that someone has complained about your motorhome, how upset you are to have caused annoyance, not accusing them of course. Explain that you want to ensure that you don't cause any inconvenience and ask if how it is parked now causes any problem for them.

I expect that they all will say, "No problem" even the ones who made the complaint, since they re not likely to want to admit it. Should they have a problem you will have found your complainant. Ask then to come and show you what it is so you can park in a way which does not offend.

You are bound to speak to the complainant at some point and because you are being as reasonable and helpful as you can, might it be that you might shame them in to never complaining again.

I would be against making complaints yourself, as has been suggested, about snything and everything because i think that is a first class was of escalating he problem and causing more upset which will be ongoing

If you are able to turn the tables and shame the complainers into doing nothing more and at the same time getting support from those who genuinely do not mind your parking and have them on your side you might have fund a solution.

Ok, i was one who said "complain about them..." as thats my gut reaction and I'd want to make them feel the same sense of hurt as I did....

However, reading your post, I really liked your solution and a way of doing it without confrontation or aggression.:thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
thanks

Ok, i was one who said "complain about them..." as thats my gut reaction and I'd want to make them feel the same sense of hurt as I did....

However, reading your post, I really liked your solution and a way of doing it without confrontation or aggression.:thumb:

Thanks, but sadly now we have some further information I doubt that my solution would be applicable.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

Link Removed

If you get any more hassle it might be worth checking out for any rules and regulations the "crèche" might be breaking, of course not forgetting to check if they need planning permission to run a business from the premises or even if they are declaring the income to the taxman.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If you get any more hassle it might be worth checking out for any rules and regulations the "crèche" might be breaking, of course not forgetting to check if they need planning permission to run a business from the premises or even if they are declaring the income to the taxman.

These sort of premises used to have to be registered by Social Services,but now they are the responsibility of OFSTED. However they would still need planning permission to set up and considerations are traffic management and impact on neighbours.
At the moment as Vic Reeves would say 'let it lie',for now.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
its sad to say that someone is very ljealous. mine is a large van 22ft long and parked outside my house on the road ihave affront garden I was going to tarmac so I could park it there but its too long to fit in so as to stay on the road I don't have to park it on the pavement as its a wide road but I do worry as some neighbours seem to shun us since weve bought it and you never know what people will do when their jealous steve

I know what you mean my neighbour across the road from me would always stop to talk and if I was doing any jobs on our house he would offer to help.
Well all that stopped when we got our motorhome he does not speak to us now and he never come outside when we are out.
That was over three years ago:Eeek:
What a life these people must lead.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Council

Approach the council where I live people who have to have reasonable access for a disabled vehicle have markings on the road even get them to alter the verge to allow your vehicle to get closer in remember this is your only access to holidays as it is hard to go abroad isn't it if you know what I mean you pay your taxes go to the council social services anyone you can to get the work done then you will have your own dedicated parking plot rattle a few cages don't let them settle but be polite as I'm sure you will be don't be discriminated against.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Lots of good ideas and comments. The same police came back this lunchtime. The female cop actually apologised for being so nasty last night. One of those days evidently. Anyway both of them are perfectly happy with the new position and intend to email the council to that effect. So now it's down to the jobsworth. Once again thanks for the support.

Mary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back