So tell me.. what is your 'random interesting tale. ' .. (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Boring friday night ... so what is it.

Years ago , we went to the South of France , to watch the bike GP.. left after 3 days of french craziness. Down to the coast, first campsite, pull in, pitch tent , set my chair up to watch the world go by, first person to walk past was my neighbour at home.

The day after , same chair, family from 4 doors away wander past.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Been on holiday to the states and have twice seen neighbours,
Every time we go to London for a show and weekend away I always seem to see someone I know, drives Mrs CC mad as she always says ‘I wonder who we are going to see this time’

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Chatting to a couple in southern france, Port Iragnes, for a full evening with 3 other motorhome couples, a few years ago.
That night had an email from her with a picture of us, saying 'I thought we had met before'. We had met them in Morocco the year before!
Pam n John. Cracking couple, anyone seen them recently?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
download.jpg Got a lift from Gordon Jackson once.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Years ago driving home after a two week holiday, we are on the London inner ring 405? When the wife says, i feel like we are going to see Chrissy my sister, next set of lights, their's her sister driving across from the right.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Around 1975 working for BR maintaining the one-track maintenance machines, always worked Saturday night as overtime, so I jump in my BR yellow CF Bedford, the machines are near Peterborough so 100 mile trip.
I get about 2 miles down the road, and I can't go on, nothing physical wrong, just this overwhelming urge to turn around, so I did

Found out later, that night a lookout man was killed and one of the operators seriously injured by a troop train.

When the machine was working a double track, you had lookout man supplied from the local station, he'd usually been working for BR for years and knew all the train times, so he stood in the middle of the other track half asleep, troop trains didn't get advertised.

That was the only time I missed a Saturday night.

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Around 1975 working for BR maintaining the one-track maintenance machines, always worked Saturday night as overtime, so I jump in my BR yellow CF Bedford, the machines are near Peterborough so 100 mile trip.
I get about 2 miles down the road, and I can't go on, nothing physical wrong, just this overwhelming urge to turn around, so I did

Found out later, that night a lookout man was killed and one of the operators seriously injured by a troop train.

When the machine was working a double track, you had lookout man supplied from the local station, he'd usually been working for BR for years and knew all the train times, so he stood in the middle of the other track half asleep, troop trains didn't get advertised.

That was the only time I missed a Saturday night.

Had a couple of those 'moments'.

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
View attachment 207844 Got a lift from Gordon Jackson once.
Brilliantly random. Where to ?

As a kid , we followed a Rolls Royce with a personal plate , TJ5 or similar, my dad laughed that it might be Tom Jones. We needed fuel, and had to stop, and so did he.. wasnt Tom Jones, but Tony Jacklin, who came over and spoke to my dad, the car we had for the weekend was a very early Audi, quite rare,and he was into his cars.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We were in Surfers Paradise Australia for a few weeks we went into one of their big clubs one evening and bumped into a coupe who used to live next door to us years before, we did not even know they were in Australia, they invited us to their home for a nice meal, small world.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
On one trip I was waiting for a flight to Brisbane in Singapore Changi airport and bumped into one of the lads who played in a Sunday league football team I used to manage.
When I arrived in Brisbane another of the lads in the team was waiting in arrivals for some friends.
On the same trip, a couple of weeks later, I was sitting in Nadi (Fiji international) airport waiting to board a 2am flight to Hawaii, when I met another member of the team with his girlfriend waiting for the same flight who were also going to be staying in the same hotel in Honolulu.
Spud

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In our first years of motor homing as members of FUN we had only met one couple 'on the road' about 3 years ago on the Kintyre peninsular, saw plenty at meets and rallies, until we met another on the road at a car park in Jedburgh 2 years later

It was only the same couple @Dazzlin they are wise to us now and follow the forum to avoid our route :)(y)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Early last year was on the Trans Siberian Express travelling through the night in the center of Siberia at about 1am in the morning. The car attendant allowed me to use her 'office' at nights as I was writing stuff, we were in a 4 bed sleeper further down the corridor and everyone else there was asleep.
Came out of the office and standing by the samovar was a very large Russian Officer who offered me a drink, I was just tired and wanted to sleep and said no thank you, he blocked the corridor so I couldn't pass.
It went to and fro a bit and started to get a little heated, I spoke 5 words of Russian and he no English but we both got the picture. He leaned back against the wall paused maybe for 30 seconds and said in English in a very low clear voice "do you know how easy it would be for me to kill you?" At that very point I realised I had made a mistake refusing his drink!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Interesting, what were you doing in Siberia? If that's not a rude question.

Wanted to travel around the world on public transport and this was the longest leg. It feels funny now that we went from Brentwood, Essex to Vladivostok by train, each of the many journeys connecting into the next one.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
In the late 60s my folk club booked a duo called the Humblebums,it was Billy Connolly and Gerry Rafferty!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In the !ate 90s we'd just got our first campervan a Leisuredrive on a Ford Transit. We were on a remote Scottish road and the only other vehicle we saw was the exact same vehicle coming towards us! We blocked the road, :LOL: to have a chat.

Fast forward a few years and we had a new Spanish registered Moncayo moho. We were on a site in the UK and the exact same model Spanish registered Moncayo parked next to us! :D

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
2012 pitched van up on Lyndon Top, couple in tent nearby with an Austin Maxi. Got talking, went to Pub, made friends.
Visited Lyndon Top several times more, lost contact with couple.
2016 pitched van up on Lyndon Top in more or less same position, went shopping, came back & there is a couple pitching a tent nearby with.........an Austin Maxi!
Same couple, they take the Maxi to a car show nearby.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When we were looking for a N+B Flair we went down to Portsmouth to see one then went up to Edinburgh to see another as they are few and far between, anyway we bought the one in Edinburgh and when we picked it up and stayed on a site in Melrose that night there was only one other Motorhome on YES it was the Flair from Portsmouth also on their first weekend away.

Martin

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sent Judy & Paul to New Zealand a few years ago while I ripped the front of the house down to build an extension, stairs had to come out and be reinstalled else where, so they could not get up to bed..

Anyway....... stood at some attraction, and a man tap`s Paul on the shoulder and say`s...

You are Paul K-P from Weymouth are`nt you.... Yes said Judy...

Years ago I used to take my bikes to one of your dad`s shops for repair and remember you working there...

This bloke had moved to N.Z a few years ago and got a job as a tourist guide... tis a small world..:Smile:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
years ago (1970) when i was a young hippie backpacking and hitchhiking with my soon to be hubby through europe, got stuck in what was then yugoslavia for a while with a blessed kidney stone..
got friendly with a couple on the campsite from finland, she was a medical student on a gap year from studies..

seven or eight years later when i'd moved down to devon we had a visit from a couple who'd joined the bearded collie club around the same time as we had ('74 i think) and come to visit and see our beardies, it was the same couple we'd met in yugoslavia, sure is a small world..

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We went on an organised MH trip to Italy last year. At Lake Garda we got talking to a couple on the tour, who it turned out live less than 10 miles from us and the guy was a teacher at Swmbo’s old school. He started there around the same time as many of Swmbo’s teachers were retiring so she got all the gossip on the “pillars of the community” :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The now Swmbo and I got married and had our honeymoon in Turkey. As we were walking through the town one pleasant evening, I heard a shout of 'Tony', not an unusual name but obviously I turned around only to see my previous ex girlfriend sat at a table (unsurprisingly at a bar). It was her first ever trip abroad. I'd never seen her since we finished and never seen her since but just on that 1 occasion

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
About 15 years ago, I was tutoring/teaching a new PC. "Pull that car over that just hit the kerb" I say to him.
Out comes a world champion boxer I don't recognise immediately until he gives me his name and I say "What, as in ********" (prefer to keep his anonymity) at this point the penny drops with me so I take over from my nipper cos I m not letting him nick a famous person in his first 2 weeks when I can do it !
Boxer blows over so I nick him and take him in to custody.
The sergeant I was booking him in with didn't have a clue who he was and asked the normal questions ...name, dob, address, etc then he gets to occupation.
"What is your occupation?"
"Retired"
"Retired what?"
"Retired undefeated"

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In the late 60s my folk club booked a duo called the Humblebums,it was Billy Connolly and Gerry Rafferty!
Used to drink with Billy now and again on a Thursday night in our "local" pub. Humblebums were regulars at the Glasgow Universities Student Unions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back