So sorry bout this.. kindle again (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When someone sends some books to your kindle email.... you log into it and click on action and 'download' .... a box comes up saying 'download' or 'cancel' and you click download. The box disappears.

Why have they not come up on my kindle, please?

Do I leave the wire connecting the kindle to the computer on for hours on end? Is that not the problem? Was I supposed to have clicked on another button. The menu simply shows 39 personal documents waiting.

Also, when you order free books do you just click on the book I couldn't see a download button.

Sorry. Must be a pain people asking the same questions when they decide to buy a kindle.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They will arrive quite quickly. Do a sync from the menu, that will ensure you have it downloaded. The ebook is probably there but hidden among others:thumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Jim. Might be back in a second if I get confused....:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Jim, did a sync and it still just said 39 items waiting etc... and no sign of the free e book. I went on and reloaded the books again from the email but still no sign of those either. I will go now and try and download the ebook again and see what happens. Back in a mo.

Back. No it still won't download the e book but now a message has come up saying kindle unable to connect at this time. Should the light underneath be orange or green? It is orange. Why can't it connect.

Also none of the 39 books have downloaded either.:Sad:

Also, in order to see menu etc., I have to pull the plug out as all I have on screen otherwise is a picture of a plug and a message telling me that if I want to read or shop on my kindle while continuing to charge over USB keep the cable attached.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's been a while since I had a book sent to my Kindle e-mail but if I remember rightly it downloads to a nominated folder on the PC and you then have to attach the Kindle by cable and drag the file(s) to the appropriate folder on the Kindle.

If you buy direct from Amazon (free or not) you get the books delivered wirelessly. Connect to WiFi and it should do a Sync & Check automatically and download anything waiting.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Graham. Re the last paragraph. I thought that but it isn't doing it for some reason.

Thanks for the first paragraph I didn't know that. Will go and try it. Thank you.:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Back. No it still won't download the e book but now a message has come up saying kindle unable to connect at this time. Should the light underneath be orange or green? It is orange. Why can't it connect.

Is your WiFi network up and running? Sometimes our router goes down and just needs switching off and then on again. So long as the battery doesn't need recharging the light colour doesn't matter.

Also, in order to see menu etc., I have to pull the plug out as all I have on screen otherwise is a picture of a plug and a message telling me that if I want to read or shop on my kindle while continuing to charge over USB keep the cable attached.
If you are trying to connect via WiFi using the menu then you don't want to be cabled to the PC. You only need to connect to the PC to drag & drop (in Windows Explorer) or to back up or charge the Kindle.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Graham. I am obviously being stupid again .... phobia about computers .... i
I have dragged and dropped and they still havn't done anything. Also a message is on the Kindle that I can download the books from the email simply by clicking download next to each book. I have done that but still just got the message that 39 personal docs waiting for me..... don't worry. Thanks for trying. I will wait till Stratford when Peter or Dellwood will be able to show me. Many thanks for your time.:thumb:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Graham, me again. Just so you can be thinking about it. My Kindle has a built-in 3G and apparently that might make a difference .... I keep coming across notes in google that say you have to pay 20p a personal file if you have a 3G and kindle. Don't know if that is what is holding everything up. See you at the shows. Joy :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thanks Graham. I am obviously being stupid again .... phobia about computers .... i
I have dragged and dropped and they still havn't done anything. Also a message is on the Kindle that I can download the books from the email simply by clicking download next to each book. I have done that but still just got the message that 39 personal docs waiting for me..... don't worry. Thanks for trying. I will wait till Stratford when Peter or Dellwood will be able to show me. Many thanks for your time.:thumb:

Joy sorry can't help with the Kindle I don't have one.........but the bit about not knowing what you are doing on a computer believe me you are not alone :Angry: just had three new ones at work and I am still begering about after three weeks :shout: must have a lie down now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, me again. Just so you can be thinking about it. My Kindle has a built-in 3G and apparently that might make a difference .... I keep coming across notes in google that say you have to pay 20p a personal file if you have a 3G and kindle. Don't know if that is what is holding everything up. See you at the shows. Joy :thumb:

My Kindle doesn't have 3G but no matter, no doubt we can sort it. Just found this Link Removed though.
46. How do I transfer files from my PC to the Kindle?

You can email an attachment to your Kindle. (Thanks to ChrisJ)
.look in manage my kindle at https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=mhf04-21 for the <address>@kindle.com to send to.
.ensure your from address is entered correctly.
.add the PDF or word file as an attachment and send it.
.if you have a 3g kindle, it will cost you 20p, unless you send to @free.kindle.com

If you have another format of attachment:
. Save the attachment to your PC.
. Plug your kindle into a USB port on your pc using the provided cable.
. From explorer on the pc, drag the file to the \documents folder on the kindle.
. Unplug and read...

You can use the second method to send ANY type of file to the Kindle (it may not be visible ot readable, though!), it doesn't seem to do any harm.
You also use the second method to add Audiobooks to the Audible folder or MP3s to the Music OR Audible folder.
I find that photographs are more manageable if you make an ebook photo album of them. You can then make sure the orientation is correct.

22. How do I avoid charges for files sent via email to my Kindle?

If you have a Kindle 3g you will be charged for receiving personal documents. If you don't want this then either send the files to your @free.kindle.com address, or set your personal document charge limit to zero in Manage MY Kindle (anything over the charge limit will get redirected to the free email address automatically). You'll then be able to get those attachments when you next connect via WiFi.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Rick, for making me feel better.:thumb:

Thanks Graham.... will let you and Jill explain all that in English at Stratford.:Blush:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I will bring my Hard Drtive of books to Stratford, so you will have ample chance to practice downloading to your Kindle :Smile:

whatta

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
Scotland, but on the move
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
Careful, Dellwood. The clever little minx is doing the dumb blonde bit again !

In truth she's a freelancer for PC Advisor magazine and the BBC'S Click programme has commissioned her to do a piece on the extent of e-book download activity breaching UK copyright laws.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
All books are legit and paid for :Smile: The files will only be used for "Training" purposes & then deleted :winky:

whatta

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
Scotland, but on the move
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
You told me that at Stratford last year and I really did believe you.

My doubts started when I saw Rosie winking at Barbara...clever dog, Rosie !!!:winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Right like Joy I have no idea about the kindle, at least She has one, hee hee. I have kindle for PC. so if I get a 3g kindle can I transfer the books I already have onto the kindle without paying 20p per personal document?
If I use it to browse fun whilst abroad does each page count as a personal document that I will be charged 20p for? Answers in words of single syllables please for a real numpty like me, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: cheers.

Jul 11, 2011
Helmsdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1990
Kindle help

Right like Joy I have no idea about the kindle, at least She has one, hee hee. I have kindle for PC. so if I get a 3g kindle can I transfer the books I already have onto the kindle without paying 20p per personal document?
If I use it to browse fun whilst abroad does each page count as a personal document that I will be charged 20p for? Answers in words of single syllables please for a real numpty like me, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: cheers.

Hi

Hopefully I can help.

Any books you have bought from Amazon will be stored in your Archived Items so that when you register your new Kindle 3G to your account they will be available to download for nothing onto the new device.

Any books that are not 'genuine' Kindle purchases are stored on your PC and can be brought over by plugging your Kindle into your PC, where it will be recognised as another disc drive (E or F or G etc), and then simply dragging them over. You do this by opening two My Computer windows; one showing the content on your PC folder where you have the books stored and the other the Books folder of the Kindle, then simply drag over from the PC to the Kindle. There is, of course, no cost in this.

Any device be it Kindle, Iphone, Smartphone, Ipad, PC, Mac, Macbook etc, etc that is registered to the same Amazon account will be able to access the same library so both my wife and myself can access our own and each other's book purchases on any of our devices. What is even more clever is that it 'syncs' the books on each device so if, for example, I have been reading a book on my iPad and then change to my Kindle a few days later it will take me to exactly the spot I finished reading at on the iPad!

Turning to browsing the internet abroad on 3G network, although the Kindle browser is very basic it does work for simple pages like the MHF forums or accessing Gmail etc. There is no charge whatsoever for this as Amazon have arrangements with local mobile network providers in almost every country in the world so these are not charged at 20p. The 20p charge only arises when you want to remotely send a document from your PC (or someone else's PC) to your Kindle via the Amazon network.

Hope this helps; if you need any more info then please let me know.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello. Thank you for that. When you say....

The 20p charge only arises when you want to remotely send a document from your PC (or someone else's PC) to your Kindle via the Amazon network.

.. I presume my problem is because they are on the Kindle email, then? How do I send them to my ordinary email so that they are not on the Amazon account? Or is this not what you mean.... sorry, when I say dumb, I mean DUMB. Can you work through it action by action please. Thank you.:Blush:

Jul 11, 2011
Helmsdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1990
Hello. Thank you for that. When you say....

The 20p charge only arises when you want to remotely send a document from your PC (or someone else's PC) to your Kindle via the Amazon network.

.. I presume my problem is because they are on the Kindle email, then? How do I send them to my ordinary email so that they are not on the Amazon account? Or is this not what you mean.... sorry, when I say dumb, I mean DUMB. Can you work through it action by action please. Thank you.:Blush:

Hi; no problem

The only way you can get a personal document onto your Kindle is either by USB transfer or Amazon's mail service. You cannot (to my knowledge) bring it in via an attachment to your personal email (say gmail or hotmail etc). You also have to register the address (or addresses ) that will be sending the files in your Kindle preferences in Amazon (this is to stop spam email being sent to your Kindle).

You transfer a document by sending an email to your registered Kindle email account (bill_123@kindle.com (example)) from a registered sender account with the personal document file attached.
The Kindle will handle the following file types:
  • Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
  • HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
  • RTF (.RTF)
  • JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
  • Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
  • GIF (.GIF)
  • PNG (.PNG)
  • BMP (.BMP)
  • PDF (.PDF)

Amazon will deliver the document free of charge to your device via wifi and will only charge you if it is transferred via 3G (Whispernet is the Amazon name for this). If you do receive via 3g then the charge is 20p per megabyte or part of.
When you send the document you do not need to put anything in the subject line of the email but if you put the word Convert into the subject line Amazon will convert the attached file to their own .azw format which allows you to treat the imported document like any other Kindle file using features such as annotation, highlighting etc. This obviously only applies to text documents (.doc, .rtf, .pdf etc).

Within your Kindle account in Amazon you can set a preference that allows the document just to be sent to your Kindle or also kept in your archived items so that it can be downloaded to the device at any time.

So a typical example would be:

1. Create a new email to your Amazon email address
  2. Attach the document file you wish to send to the Kindle
  3. If you want the document converted to Kindle format place the word Convert in the subject line
  4. Send the email
  1. If your Kindle is connected via WiFi there will be no charge
  2. If your Kindle is connected via 3G you will be charged 20p per megabyte
  3. If you have selected the Personal Document Archiving option in your Kindle preferences then the document will also be in your archive documents library

Below is some of the information from the Amazon website referring to file transfers. If you vist amazon.co.uk and go to Kindle help you will find more info (although it's not the clearest!).

Sending Personal Documents to Kindle Devices

You and your approved contacts can send a personal document to your supported devices by e-mailing it to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address. You must ensure that:

• You have approved the sender's e-mail address. Learn More.
  • You gave the sender your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address. Learn More.
  • Your personal document is a supported file type. Learn More.
  • Once you have confirmed the above, you can send your personal documents wirelessly to your Kindle via e-mail (e.g. [name]@kindle.com) as follows:
Attach your document to a new e-mail or forward an existing e-mail that has a document attached. A subject is not necessary in the e-mail. If your document is a PDF and you want to convert PDF to the Kindle format then simply add "convert" in the subject line of the e-mail.
Send the e-mail to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address for wireless delivery directly to your supported device.
Personal documents in supported file formats smaller than 5 MB are typically delivered to your supported device, within five minutes (per document) if your device's wireless is connected. Personal documents larger than 5 MB may take longer. Personal documents in some file formats (such as PDF files) may take longer.
Your e-mail provider may have additional limitations on file size.
Keep in Mind:

• The file size of each attached personal document must be 50MB or less (before compression in a ZIP file).
  • The submitted e-mail must contain no more than 25 attached personal documents.
  • The submitted e-mail must target less than 15 distinct Send-to-Kindle e-mail addresses.
  • The attached personal document must be a supported file type. Learn More
  • If you choose to archive your documents, then your documents will continue to be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.
  • If you choose to not archive your documents and your supported device is not connected wirelessly, we store your document for 60 days and attempt to deliver to your device once it restores wireless connectivity. Personal documents not delivered within this time period will be deleted.

Hope the above makes sense; if you need any clarification just let me know.

Dave

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I hope I am getting this right.
Joy if you open the email with the books/documents in then select save attachments to your hard drive you can then drag and drop between drives when the kindle is connected to the PC. No charge, well thats the way I see it anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back