So near......... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
The string in our Hartalight insect screen door broke over the summer. Were quoted £307 for a replacement, part only. Thought we'd have go at fixing it ourselves. Managed to get the frame out of the van and got it home.
Then laying it on the floor, we managed to get at the string and also understood how it worked. Replaced the string and reassembled the whole thing. It worked and we felt well pleased with having saved ourselves at least £400.
Then we took it back to the van only to find that we just can't get the frame back in place. The problem is waiting for the habitation door lock. This enters the van from outside and enters through the corner of the door. Now when we try and get the frame to lie flat on the bottom of the door, the bundle of wires prevents this. We spent a couple of hours trying to get the frame in with the wires on the ride, but to no avail. I've attached a photo of the offending wires whilst the screen door was still in place.
Anyone able to suggest how we jump this final damned hurdle?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 102

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Can you file a little bit of the frame away so it clears the wires?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@Terry is your man, there was a thread in the summer where Terry was wrestling with one of these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi sorry for late reply....I think it was just a picture of several of us at the 3 fs meet last year mending one.well 2 actually...If I rememer right one where the string had slipped it's one simply had to pull the string and retension and knot it.The others took about 6 of us threading all the strings holding bits of the blind and about 2 hours :D2....you have to unscrew and take it out to get to it,hopefully it will be the simple first type job ,if its a restring job i would buy a new blind ;) sorry i canot be more help
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sent you a pm ...you have it right in your pic it simply traps it there (y)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just reporting back that we successfully got the frame back in the space without any struggle. Took along a metre long metal rule and used it so slide between the frame and the cable. Fitted in perfectly; even the two self tapping screw holes that held the frame in place in the door line up perfectly.
So we feel really chuffed having saved ourself £307 plus fitting for two hours work and £3 for new thread.
By the way, even though the frame was held together with pop rivets, we were able to flex the plastic sufficiently with the rivets in place, to replace the thread. But we understand that, drilling out the rivets and reassembling with self tapping screws (if you don't have a rivet gun), is fairly straight forward.
I would recommend having a go yourself rather then swell the already bulging dealers' wallets.
Thanks for all who offered advice and help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back