Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So you get to the bottom of a long thread, rather than scroll all the way back to the top to see whats new, I've added a button to the bottom of every thread, that will load whats new (y).It's very handy. I've been using it for a couple of days and I'd miss it if it were gone. I hope you find it useful

1607513324980.png

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I ve tried it a couple of times now on this thread and it takes me immediately to the "Whats New" just like if i clicked the "Whats new" in the blue bit on the left hand side.
But it then doesnt even show the thread you were reading so i had to search for it to find it.

Unsure if its me, a glitch or a practical joke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
the zigzag what's new works different to the other whats new under the mitorhome logo which shows every thread, even those you've previously looked at and answered in, the zigzag one doesn't show the thread you've just looked at or answered in unless there is a fresh post..

i always click on the one under the motorhome logo as i find it more useful to see all the threads..

there is also an arrow to use to get back to the top of a thread without having to scroll, at least on my old ipad there is..
seems we all use the site differently..

hope i've explained it properly..

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It's you :).

It's designed to take you from a thread you have just read to show you 'Whats New' while you've been reading that thread.
Maybe not a glitch but it happened to me when I wanted to edit my post above, I couldn't find the thread again.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It's you :).

It's designed to take you from a thread you have just read to show you 'Whats New' while you've been reading that thread.
My bad, I thought it was to save you scrolling to the top of the page you were on.

Reactions: Jim

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
Maybe not a glitch but it happened to me when I wanted to edit my post above, I couldn't find the thread again.

i had exactly the same janine with other threads, was so frustrating having to wait until there was a fresh post in it..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

i had exactly the same janine with other threads, was so frustrating having to wait until there was a fresh post in it..

I too used to do the same as you, now if I want to re-look at a thread I've already read but hasn't had any replies since then therefore it's not 'new' anymore, it's not the easiest thing to find and usually entails a search of the forum trying to remember who posted it and the title/content ... clicking on the MHF logo allowed me to scroll through all the recent threads, whether newly replied to or not, and something I sorely miss.

Jim is there a way of doing what the MHF Logo used to on the 'new' forum?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
I too used to do the same as you, now if I want to re-look at a thread I've already read but hasn't had any replies since then therefore it's not 'new' anymore, it's not the easiest thing to find and usually entails a search of the forum trying to remember who posted it and the title/content ... clicking on the MHF logo allowed me to scroll through all the recent threads, whether newly replied to or not, and something I sorely miss.

Jim is there a way of doing what the MHF Logo used to on the 'new' forum?

minxy, the whats new on the blue bar directly underneath the motorhome on the left hand side appears to do the same as the logo did, at least on my old ipad it does..
hope jim doesn't alter that otherwise i shall be tearing my hair out again..

it seems that different devices have different ways of working and although jim has access to different devices, i think, to test on, he also has admin tools too so may see things differently, but we have to use what works for us..

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

Click the "What's New" at the top of the page.
else the "[flash] What's New" at the bottom, then you can click the top-of-the-page version.

If you use the "[flash] What's New" button but want everything, you can click on the "Show only: unread" part of the below to get the same result.
That banner is a reminder that the list has been filtered.

Once you understand how it works, it's easier to use.
(the above is when using Safari on a laptop)

A useful feature, Jim!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The whats new at the bottom of a thread is a TRUE What's New TO YOU, in other words it is only showing you threads you have NOT seen already. That are NEW TO YOU

The Whats New at the top of the forum, or the lightning bolt on mobiles shows Whats RECENT/NEW whether you have read it it or not. Well thats the way i have it set up, if its not behaving like that for you do let me know.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim is there a way of doing what the MHF Logo used to on the 'new' forum?

No I need that functionality for something else I have planned. I know its a pain, I'm still clicking on the logo 60 times a day, but that's probably down from 260 so I'll get there.:D. We'll just have to get used to using the lighting bolt or Whats New

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The whats new at the bottom of a thread is a TRUE What's New TO YOU, in other words it is only showing you threads you have NOT seen already. That are NEW TO YOU

The Whats New at the top of the forum, or the lightning bolt on mobiles shows Whats RECENT/NEW whether you have read it it or not. Well thats the way i have it set up, if its not behaving like that for you do let me know.
On my iPhone, there are two very different versions of ā€˜whatā€™s newā€™ one is basic and the other has more scope for doing other things.

This is just the ā€˜lightning strikeā€™ version -
88ACFA47-153E-4443-9B26-CFB3A0099317.png

At the bottom of the page, you cannot directly access the next page.

This is the ā€˜ < whatā€™s newā€™ from under the tool bar
8B1D9448-EB91-4C7B-8265-629F64CD221D.png

The next page is also available.

Can the lightening strike be made the same as option 2 please?

Reactions: Jim

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All I want for Christmas is 'AUTO DISPLAYED BLOBS'!!!! :crying:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On my iPhone, there are two very different versions of ā€˜whatā€™s newā€™ one is basic and the other has more scope for doing other things.

All three 'Whats New' Buttons should all act the same and give you page numbers at the bottom (y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
:eek:
1607547027711.png

Takes longer to choose which place to click :p
Undo!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I noticed it straight away, I think I like it. :giggle:

Jim Viewing a thread just now when I went to the 2nd page the OP appeared at the top, doesn't appear to do it on any other threads.

This thread:-

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I noticed it straight away, I think I like it. :giggle:

Jim Viewing a thread just now when I went to the 2nd page the OP appeared at the top, doesn't appear to do it on any other threads.

This thread:-

Its coded so that with question forums; the question, ie the first post, is always show at the top of the page (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Its coded so that with question forums; the question, ie the first post, is always show at the top of the page (y)
Do you mean it only shows on threads with a ? at the end of the title?

Just gone off the what's new button at the bottom keep clicking it instead of Quote, that now explains what has been happening the last couple of days when I was trying to quote someone.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you mean it only shows on threads with a ? at the end of the title?

Just gone off the what's new button at the bottom keep clicking it instead of Quote, that now explains what has been happening the last couple of days when I was trying to quote someone.

No, we only have one Question Forum at the moment that is this one Motorhome Questions

The quote thing is likely fat fingers, as the What's New button has only been in place a few hours :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The quote thing is likely fat fingers, as the What's New button has only been in place a few hours :D
My mouse pointer is not that fat. :rofl:
It's a bit too close the quote buttons maybe better on the left side.

No, we only have one Question Forum at the moment that is this one Motorhome Questions
Don't take much notice of which forum tend to just use What's New.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All I want for Christmas is 'AUTO DISPLAYED BLOBS'!!!! :crying:

Mobile Browser Auto Displayed Unread alert Markers = filled circles

1607549632556.png

Desktop Browser

Auto displayed yellow backgrounds to show unread alerts

1607549707089.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

View attachment 447504

Desktop Browser

View attachment 447505
Jim :thanks3:so much ... it is so easy to see what has been read and what is unread now ... I might have to buy some sunglasses though šŸ˜Ž (only joking ... don't change the colour!!!!). You can keep the 'blobs' for the mobile minions :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

View attachment 447504

Desktop Browser

View attachment 447505
Just found that nice.

One problem on the phone & tablet (Android 10 & 9) when you click on an alert it takes you right to the bottom of the thread, so if someone has quoted you you have scroll back up to try and find it, can be a right pain on popular threads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back