So many questions, so little time!! (1 Viewer)

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Evening All

I'm sorry for coming through the new introductions again but wasn't sure where to start. I registered here a couple of weeks ago and got some good advice on what to think about for our first purchase. We went to Marquis in Surrey last week (I actually went twice!) to have a look around and get a feel for the different sizes and layouts.

We originally thought of spending about 20k on a used motorhome but are now thinking of spending about half of that to see if we can live the way we want to (before blowing our entire life's savings!!) We want to be on the road for at least 3 weeks at a time (2 adults and 2 doggies part wild camping and part sites) going back to relatives to re-stock etc for a week and then heading off again.

We are keen on the OC layout but my hubby is 6' and doesn't want to feel to cramped (he struggled getting into the OC of an Autosleeper Ascot). We would also like a rear lounge as living space will be important during the colder months when we'll be spending more time indoors.

Does anyone have any advice/comments on makes and models to look out for or avoid. We were thinking of going as small as possible so that we wouldn't be put off from visiting town and villages (unless you have any thoughts/advice otherwise. My hubby as driven a LWB transit van before). I've seen ads for lots of Elddis Eclipses but don't know if the OC would be high enough or accessible enough. Are there any other models that are 2 or 4 berth, with large OC and rear lounge?

I've seen lots of interesting Talbots and older vans and quite like the idea of keeping someone elses treasure on the road but would we still get parts/spares etc? We might not be buying for another 6 months unless the perfect one crops up next week and then we'll just have to find room for it.

This search is becoming an obsession and I definitely look like this :Eeek:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Gill

To get the rainbow, you have to put up with a little rain.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi Gill

Plenty out their to look at but not many when you narrow them down to the one's you want as we found out.

We have just bought ours after looking for over 12 months we never gave up hope knowing we would eventually find one.

Keep looking we enjoyed it and hope you find the one you want:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
G

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Thanks Billy. What's the Motorhome like that you ended up with and what do you think so far? I'm already spending every spare minute on t'internet looking at used vans (I do get a bit obsessed) but like you say, it may take 12 months to find what we're looking for. If you've gone for a big van are you going to be restricted on where you may want to visit?

Thanks again
Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi Gill

We bought a Autotrail Miami felt huge we i drove it home at the begining but having drove it for a few miles i was quite comfortable with it.
over the moon with it the wife keeps going outside to make sure its still there.
I don't see any problems driving it or being restricted were we want to go.
We were obssessed with looking every night on the internet looking for any new listings.
i was always looking on this site for info which helped a lot there is a lot of experience on this site and they will help you more than i can.
I was terrified of making a mistake and buying a lemon but when i saw this one it felt right and was in really good condition

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
yuo might like to look at some of the older autotrail models, the commanche in particular has a very long bed, 6ft plus no problem at all. Our beast is a Mercedes 508D based Newlander headroom 8ft. Bed 7' 6" x 5' when made up in ushaped lounge. Plus three overcab beds. 3.5 metres overall height has not been a problem and width no problem, 21ft long can be a problem parking but not too bad, not put us off going anywhere, there are two of us and two medium sized dogs, plenty of room, and manage 3 weeks at a time without hookups. Enjoy the search

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Have you looked at the classified adds on this site?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Gill,

Dont know if this Kontiki is of any interest, it does not belong to us although we have sold it a few times in the past.

It belongs to the last customer who bought it from us, and he wants to sell it.

It is in your budget range and is a four berth end lounge with an awning and bike rack and usual facilities inside.

If any interest, phone Andy or Lawrence

Good luck

Peter

Vehicle Images
ext_JplateKontikiExt.JPG

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gill,

Dont know if this Kontiki is of any interest, it does not belong to us although we have sold it a few times in the past.

It belongs to the last customer who bought it from us, and he wants to sell it.

It is in your budget range and is a four berth end lounge with an awning and bike rack and usual facilities inside.

If any interest, phone Andy or Lawrence

Good luck

Peter

Vehicle Images
ext_JplateKontikiExt.JPG

cant go far wrong with a kontiki (we're on our second)but the overcab is a little claustrophobic.

PS.....sorry peter but only telling it like it is...:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We were thinking of going as small as possible so that we wouldn't be put off from visiting town and villages.

you shouldnt have a problem......if buses and delivery trucks can get around these places, you can too.

theres always somewhere to park if you look hard enough. :thumb:

OP
OP
G

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Thanks everyone. I am only just getting familiar with this site so haven't looked at the classifieds yet. I also don't know how to do individual thanks and replies so I'll just lump them together here.

Billy - thanks, feel better already.

Wildman - thanks for the suggestion, will check that model out tomorrow (my eyes need a rest). You've put some really good info on previous posts which I am also cramming like I'll be tested on it. Hope you don't mind some more wild camping questions coming through?

Peter - I love the "boxiness" of this one but the OC does look a bit slim. From the other Swifts I'd looked at I thought they had some of the biggest OC's. Any other suggestions?

Pappajohn - thanks, it does look a bit small

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Gill,

just for future reference......bottom right of the post is a "Thanks" box. just click it and it'll place a thanks below the post with your screen name.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Gill,

You lost me............ OC ?

As to suggestions, if you chat to Andy or Lawrence they can give you some I am sure, but £10K does limit you,

your original budget of up to £20k gets you far more choice and quality.

Peter

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Ah!! but is it still there or did you get it back home again....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nope it broke down in North Devon, go stuck in fourth gear and the AA could not sort it so I rang up a garage I owned at the time and got a Range rover sent down to tow me onto the A30, drove it all the way back to Reading in fourth gear!:Eeek:

Had right of way on all roundabouts, the clutch was knackered when I got back to Reading.:cry:

This was before I got involved with Johns Cross, when I did they had it back and sold it

OP
OP
G

Gillski

Free Member
Feb 6, 2009
Middlesex
Funster No
Peter

Sorry, I think I'm making up my own abbreviations already - I meant the overcab bed.

Thanks
Gill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back