So, it's Portugal Again for Me… (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I really really did think I'd try somewhere new this winter. My son made a comment when I came back this time that "you're not really travelling mum, you're just moving between two homes!" and it did make me think that maybe I should really branch out a bit more and go somewhere different. I thought about Ibiza and then Greece and I was all up for it but then I had a few health issues here this summer that knocked me back a bit and, well, truly, my heart has always been in Portugal.

I'm leaving here in a couple of weeks, heading up to Scotland for a whistle stop tour before taking the boat from Portsmouth to Santander on the 10th of October. Going to get through Spain fairly quickly and then meander down through Portugal until I reach my second home around the Barao de Sao Joao area.

I've got my Green card today and so I'm kind of talking myself into visiting Morroco for a couple of months in January, that's if I can tear myself away from the place I love so much.

Does it matter if you're not 'travelling'? Can it ever just be OK to follow a similar route? I know that doing something different would stretch me and would probably make me stronger but right now I'm quite happy just to settle for an easy life.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am old...

Not got all that much time left.

I have found so many places that I love to visit in Portugal that nowadays I find myself going back to where I know I will enjoy, rather than risk time and diesel trying to find new places which I might not like.

Sounds a tad unadventurous I know, but I have had decades of visiting new places all over the world.

JJ :cool:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We are like that now - as u say prefer to go where i will be happy.

We have a limited budget and dont really want to waste it going where i might really not want to be.

New horizons are great but so are old friends. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I am old...

Not got all that much time left.

I have found so many places that I love to visit in Portugal that nowadays I find myself going back to where I know I will enjoy, rather than risk time and diesel trying to find new places which I might not like.

Sounds a tad unadventurous I know, but I have had decades of visiting new places all over the world.

Where would you say are your favourite places in Portugal JJ? (other than the burger place)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Where would you say are your favourite places in Portugal JJ? (other than the burger place)

Just some of them...

Pego da Altar.
Pont da Sor/Argil riverside.
Mertola.
Minas do Sao Domingo.
Evora.
Cabanas.
Tavira.
Silves.
Portimao.
Largo St Andre.
Boca do Rio.
Douro Valley.
Coimbra.
Arade Lake.
Lisbon.
Estoril.
Armação da Pera.
Quinta Majay

...now my brain hurts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I can't believe we've never met. Apart from Pont da Sor and Tavira, I spend a lot of time at all the other places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are like that now - as u say prefer to go where i will be happy.

We have a limited budget and dont really want to waste it going where i might really not want to be.

New horizons are great but so are old friends. (y)
We're back to Portugal this winter to meet an OLD friend and to see his lemon trees and the beast!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you mean me this is excellent news but...

I don't have any lemon trees. :(

Orange/ lime/fig/apple/pear... strike out all those not applicable!

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If you mean me this is excellent news but...

I don't have any lemon trees. :(

Do you have any fig trees. JJ? And when do they finish? I might have to put my foot down (80kph).

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
No no. I realised that. But I wondered if JJ really did some some fig trees. Figs are my favourite fruit and usually by the time I arrive in portugal they're just about all done.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No no. I realised that. But I wondered if JJ really did some some fig trees. Figs are my favourite fruit and usually by the time I arrive in portugal they're just about all done.
I remember your van Jackie. We parked next to you in some beach front aire in Spain can't remember where it was sorry but I remember your van. Have you got wallpaper that looks like a book case in your van? If you do it definitely was you .I loved your van then and now.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
How bizarre. Yes. I do have book wallpaper inside so it must have been me but I can't remember ever having been by the beach in Spain. I usually rush through it diagonally to reach Portugal. Any more clues? It deffo sounds like me tho.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How bizarre. Yes. I do have book wallpaper inside so it must have been me but I can't remember ever having been by the beach in Spain. I usually rush through it diagonally to reach Portugal. Any more clues? It deffo sounds like me tho.
I'll have a think and when I remember I'll let you know. Hope to meet again?

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes. I'd like that. Shame we didn't talk before. We're funny like that aren't we. :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes. I'd like that. Shame we didn't talk before. We're funny like that aren't we. :)
We're going to Portugal after arriving at Santander 3rd October. Keep in touch and maybe if we get near each other we can have a few drinks and a matter?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

YES fig trees he has ... and super duper news ... He doesn't like figs! LOL ! I don't remember when they finish at QMJ ; but with the heat they had they might be nearly finished! He did tell me some trees had been badly hit by the heat of the fire, but I can't remember if fig trees were in the lot!

Usually olives are ready beginning of November , but once again may be with the heat nature went faster....

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
YES fig trees he has ... and super duper news ... He doesn't like figs! LOL ! I don't remember when they finish at QMJ ; but with the heat they had they might be nearly finished! He did tell me some trees had been badly hit by the heat of the fire, but I can't remember if fig trees were in the lot!

Usually olives are ready beginning of November , but once again may be with the heat nature went faster....
Ahh that was it OLIVE TREES!!! Thanks FRANKIE

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
We're going to Portugal after arriving at Santander 3rd October. Keep in touch and maybe if we get near each other we can have a few drinks and a matter?

I arrive on the 1st October! Might see you somewhere close by. I usually stop at Cabarceno for a couple of days to ground myself. If you see me give me a shout. I'll pass on the drinks but I'm always glad of a brew!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I arrive on the 1st October! Might see you somewhere close by. I usually stop at Cabarceno for a couple of days to ground myself. If you see me give me a shout. I'll pass on the drinks but I'm always glad of a brew!
Cabarenco is always our first port of call if you excuse the pun! Hope to see you then?

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If I'm still there when you're there then yes - it's a date!

(My first date in twenty years or more) :)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Sadly the figs all died in the heat...

Sorry.

But next year...

That is very sad to hear. Will they regrow or wil you have to replant them all? I'm not sure I can hang around for a whole year waiting for a fig! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back