So is France open from Monday. (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I ve just taken a look at FCO advice and can see nothing that says you should check with vehicle insurance company. Could you point me in the right direction.

On Monday, basically the whole of the EU determines the whole of the EU is a "safe" place to travel. Now the FCO doesnt have to change its advice, but they have to justify their advice. If we take France as the main country and make a presumption that it opens on Monday, then 27 (or thereabouts) countries will have made a decision that it is safe to travel to that country from Belgium, Germany, Austria etc . Should they decline to change the advice, the countries that have deemed themselves safe will be asking questions as to why they are advising it is unsafe. Some smart Alec somewhere (probably michael o leary) will then question the legality and justification of the advice. Germany (and i expect all the others) changes on Monday to allow travellers from EU but does not change to that until monday.

From my point of view, I cant see how they can justify the advice of not travelling TO another european country that has less CV than here.
Does it ask you to check your travel insurance?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
R4 News this morning that although the French borders will open Monday France will require those entering from U.K. and Spain to quarantine themselves for 14 days. Not a lot of point for me to nip over for a couple of weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
R4 News this morning that although the French borders will open Monday France will require those entering from U.K. and Spain to quarantine themselves for 14 days. Not a lot of point for me to nip over for a couple of weeks.

i think you may have not read or heard that the quarantine in France is unconstitutional and is voluntary ...... however, i am sure that those of us that are going over will be acting responsibly as we have been doing in our own Country, i know that we will be doing so .....

Just waiting for Mr Macron to make his speech on Sunday @ 2000 (French time) live on TV and online !

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
i think you may have not read or heard that the quarantine in France is unconstitutional and is voluntary ...... however, i am sure that those of us that are going over will be acting responsibly as we have been doing in our own Country, i know that we will be doing so .....
Gee I hope so :-( We are 28 deaths against 202 yesterday

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Yes, I read in this thread and heard on the News that it's voluntary but I would feel rather conspicuous and awkward parking in villages even if only to go food shopping. They are asking us to quarantine for the benefit of others and whether it's enforceable or not I would respect that. I don't feel comfortable at present just going out for the day in the m/h here.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is FCO position at the moment.

Screenshot_20200613-094738.png

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
France 2 news this morning announced no visitors from Spain or UK before 1st July, when there will be another announcement.

Just reporting what I heard in case you want to bite my head off, as some second home owners want to do!!!

Taken from a french site ! Not my words lol

French radio supposition so wait and see is answer!

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
France 2 news this morning announced no visitors from Spain or UK before 1st July, when there will be another announcement.

Just reporting what I heard in case you want to bite my head off, as some second home owners want to do!!!

Germany is open without a quarantine. You may travel through France in order to get to Belgium and through Belgium in order to get to Germany from Monday, and Luxembourg if you ar elooking for even cheaper fuel
Ventusky will give me my final destination and the Baltic coast is looking very hot.
I am between the Dordogne, the vercors, the baltic and Black forest. Weather is better in Germany for next 10 days

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Good man. This is the first hand information I require so as to make an educated decision on whether to travel 300 miles to a ferry port without being refused boarding.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I agree Jon, entirely! One simile however. Quite a few businesses considered they had business interruption insurance, that's not going too well for them.

I think those Insurance Co's are going to get their backsides kicking (figuratively speaking) when HMG. takes them to Court for failing to pay out 'Pandemic Insurance'.
Some of the examples I have heard about regarding Pubs and the like being left out to dry are nothing short of scandalous.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Cover your ass (British: arse), abbreviated CYA, is activity done by an individual to protect themselves from possible subsequent criticism, legal penalties, or other repercussions, usually in a work-related or bureaucratic context.
Thanks, I know what cover your ass means. I just wasn't sure what your point is? Surely it's prudent for anyone travelling abroad to make sure their health insurance is valid. In other words, how could you hold the FO responsible if you found yourself abroad and your health insurance wasn't valid? I'm guessing that's what you meant? :rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
R4 News this morning that although the French borders will open Monday France will require those entering from U.K. and Spain to quarantine themselves for 14 days.
:unsure:
It's no surprise that my 'ead 'urts. :rolleyes:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks, I know what cover your ass means. I just wasn't sure what your point is? Surely it's prudent for anyone travelling abroad to make sure their health insurance is valid. In other words, how could you hold the FO responsible if you found yourself abroad and your health insurance wasn't valid? I'm guessing that's what you meant? :rolleyes:
I suspect, and am prepared to be corrected here, that when the FCO change their advice, Covid would not be covered by travel insurance.
I believe it is quite difficult and monetarily preventative to getting a new policy with covid covered.

If that is correct, when would you go on holiday if you wanted cover for it ?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Good man. This is the first hand information I require so as to make an educated decision on whether to travel 300 miles to a ferry port without being refused boarding.
I suggest waiting till Monday as Macron may make clear on Sunday evening .

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Interested, particularly in the final paragraph.
We've been in France, in our second home, since arriving after a winter stay in Spain, on 1st March. We've been welcomed by our neighbours, visited by our mayor and the local gendarmes (all very friendly and concerned we had everything we needed). But now, with the lifting of travel restrictions in France, we'd like to travel a bit in France. However, we're concerned about our reception, given that we have a British registered van and our fellow campers won't know we've been here since March. I guess we'll await Macron's statement and play it by ear.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I suspect, and am prepared to be corrected here, that when the FCO change their advice, Covid would not be covered by travel insurance.
I believe it is quite difficult and monetarily preventative to getting a new policy with covid covered.

If that is correct, when would you go on holiday if you wanted cover for it ?
Pandemics aren’t covered. I would consider going abroad when the chances of catching the virus is low enough for us to take the risk. I personally think it’s just too soon at present. We both have health conditions.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Interested, particularly in the final paragraph.
We've been in France, in our second home, since arriving after a winter stay in Spain, on 1st March. We've been welcomed by our neighbours, visited by our mayor and the local gendarmes (all very friendly and concerned we had everything we needed). But now, with the lifting of travel restrictions in France, we'd like to travel a bit in France. However, we're concerned about our reception, given that we have a British registered van and our fellow campers won't know we've been here since March. I guess we'll await Macron's statement and play it by ear.
That is a difficult one . In rural areas like here even Parisiens are not exactly welcomed with open arms as the epicentre was there and I can understand that given that there is an older age population .
We have been out locally in our van but is french registered .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Its the FCO covering their arses, like they always do.....

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
That is a difficult one . In rural areas like here even Parisiens are not exactly welcomed with open arms as the epicentre was there and I can understand that given that there is an older age population .
We have been out locally in our van but is french registered .
That makes sense to me.
If we decide upon France, unlike me, but we will be campsiting it up rather than aires.
An enclosed community, only popping to the shops for essentials.
The registration number is a bit of a give away for us.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

I presume this is the report you refer to (or similar)

My understanding of this is that UK tourists are still allowed (presuming the actual announcement) from Monday with the quarantine as per the Spanish.

France will open its borders to visitors from European countries, including the UK, from Monday and there will be no more forms to fill in for those wanting to come.

This includes those wanting to come for tourist trips or to spend time at second homes. The UK is within the boundaries of 'Europe' for Covid-19 border closures.
Tourism Minister Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne confirmed the date in a press conference today, saying he would personally visit the Belgian border on Monday to mark ...

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The definitive answer you are all waiting for will have to wait till Sunday evening I am afraid .
Lockdown here was adhered to pretty well and we did not even shop for 6 weeks .
I did ask before but did not get an answer that I understood as to why the haste to get here . Do people dislike their homes and countries that much ?
We had planned a visit to Scotland in spring as have not been back since 2017 and then south to visit son and family . Not seen son since October 18 thanks to B.... and virus but have settled our mind to not doing so till next year. After all it is only 3 months or so since the start of this crisis .

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The definitive answer you are all waiting for will have to wait till Sunday evening I am afraid .
I did ask before but did not get an answer that I understood as to why the haste to get here . Do people dislike their homes and countries that much ?
We had planned a visit to Scotland in spring as have not been back since 2017 and then south to visit son and family . Not seen son since October 18 thanks to B.... and virus but have settled our mind to not doing so till next year. After all it is only 3 months or so since the start of this crisis .

I love my home and my country of birth and residence with a passion but I also love to travel just as much. Having Roma ancestors and a passport I also consider it my right to travel when legally allowed by my countries government. My only real issue is that I do not want to drive a 40ft outfit 300 miles to a port of embarkation to be told I am not allowed out of my native country. I wait with baited breath for an update telling me I am allowed into France, even if its only to use France as a transit country.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
No great haste. I holidayed mostly in the U.K. for 30 years with car and young family, by motorbike and tent and by my sailing boat but I would like firm non-contradictory info in order to book a ferry.
I'm only a 20 mile drive from France. Before retiring I used to drive further than that every day to get to my office.
After all it is only 3 months or so since the start of this crisis .
Yebbut, in a couple of weeks the days begin to shorten.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am on annual leave, which cant be changed from 8th June to 7th July.
I dont have a choice of a holiday in the UK.
Straight choice of staying at home like i have done for the past few weeks or going to a country that has invited me and coming back to stay at home

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I love my home and my country of birth and residence with a passion but I also love to travel just as much. Having Roma ancestors and a passport I also consider it my right to travel when legally allowed by my countries government. My only real issue is that I do not want to drive a 40ft outfit 300 miles to a port of embarkation to be told I am not allowed out of my native country. I wait with baited breath for an update telling me I am allowed into France, even if its only to use France as a transit country.
Monday morning, I will update you with how i have got on. Dont know where we want to go yet. It will be Germany or France though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back