So here we are sitting in a field waiting for the T de F to go past!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Our original plan had been to go to Stage 6 of the Tour (Abbeville to Le Havre) but an unfortunate incident involving our wing mirror :Eeek:which had to be replaced, held us up for 2 days waiting for a new part to be delivered and fitted.

So we headed south towards the Alps and Stage 19 ( Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne to La Toussuire-Les Sybelles) to suss things out. We concentrated on the area around St. Etienne-de-Cuines after researching the route,and found that the Tour passes there on Thursday 23rd. We also discovered that it will come past La Chambre after the lower part of Col de Madeleine and then onto loop via Epierre on Friday. It might give us time after the Tour had passed through to cycle the couple of miles to St Etienne des Quines and catch them there again!!

Having decided to come back to La Chambre on the 19th we had some time to kill and having read @Mousy thread about their lovely visit to Annecy headed there. The only site that came up on Camping Contact was the Camping Municipal de Belvedere so we plumbed in the sat nav and off we went. Booked in for 2days and decided to cycle round the lake. The Rough Guide said it was 44 kms round Le Lac but I hadn't taken on board the fact that the traffic free section of the cycle route was along the west shore and to go all the way round was on the road. We were went almost as far as Albertville until we realised our mistake and, of course then had to cycle back. We eventually did 45 miles:Eeek::Eeek:By then I was on my knees!! The campsite was up a pretty steep hill and I'm afraid I cheated and walked up.

We spent 2 days at the aire in Vassieux en Vercors and then back to La Chambre (which is adjacent to a huge Sports Centre) on Sunday. There had been L'Etape du Tour with 15,000 cyclists passing through La Chambre before we arrived and had been a 'feed station' for the cyclists. We found this out when a man knocked on the van an asked if we would like some bananes!! We said yes ok we would like a few but were presented with a huge box full!! It seemed rude to refuse! It appears that someone had over estimated the order of bananas and there were at least 50 boxes in the foyer of the Sports Centre which they wanted to get rid of! All during the evening cars were turning up to take a box or more. But what would we do with all those bananas? We like them but best will in the world would not be able to eat all those. Next morning people were still turning up to collect more boxes and we surreptitiously returned them back in the pile!

They are obviously expecting a lot of MHs to arrive in La Chambre as they have opened 3 fields for 'Parking Camping-Cars' So we have moved out from the aire and found a spot shaded by walnut trees sitting in a field waiting for the 'Tour' to go past. At the moment there is only one other MH with us in the field so it will be interesting to see how many more turn up before Friday.

Any Funsters heading this way?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 53

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds like fun and something we plan to do when we have more time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You could have frozen the bananes. They taste like banana ice cream.
The TdF passed by our village a couple of weeks ago. We had some friends arrive who cycled round part of Brittany then back to us on the day the race came through. Great view from the side of the road.
Have fun

andeb

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
On the road
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 665HS
Exp
Since 2008
We are parked up just out of the town of St Jean De Maurienne for stage 18, nice good sport on the side of the road just as they come over the bridge and do a sharp right turn We also watched two stages in the Pyrenees Will be checking map in a bit to see where to park for tomorrow so will look where you say the fields are. Happy TDF

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We had intended to stay on top of Col Du Glandon for 5 nights as the Tour is going over the Col 3 times this year. Unfortunately due to family circumstances we had to cancel a few weeks ago. It'll be too late for you to get a spot there now as I'm sure half the MH in Europe will be there ... Have a great time!!

OP
OP
Ali n Tim
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
@andeb We are in a field near the Boulodrome in La Chambre. We will cycle to St Etiene de Cuines this afternoon.

On Saturday there is a'Fete Historique' in La Chambre which sounds like fun so we will stick around for that :)

:france::france:

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We watched stages 11 and 12. Stage 11 from the very summit of the Col D'Aspin! Arrived the day before on Bastille Day so got no sleep! Pictures show the amazing view waiting for the race and also my hubby having just completed the climb! (I waited at the top).[/ATTACH]
20150714_142511_resized.jpg
20150714_212117_resized_1.jpg
20150715_085806_resized.jpg
20150715_101100_resized.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back