Darren83

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
Apologies in advance as I'm sure this sort of thing must get posted alot but I'm after some advice and seem to be going round in circles. So.........
I've decided in the summer of 2019 I'm going to be spending the summer driving around Europe in a motorhome with my wife and 2 children, I'd like to spend the next couple of years hiring motorhomes to get used to driving and general living in them. I currently don't have the c1 licence (but am hoping to have it next year) and wondered if anyone knew a make and model of the biggest I could drive before I do my c1 to get some large vehicle driving experience. I'm going to look at some this weekend but not sure I'd completely trust the dealers to give me the correct information. Many thanks
Darren

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

You can drive motor tricycles with a power output higher than 15kW if you are over 21 years old.

Physically disabled drivers with provisional category B entitlement will also have provisional entitlement to ride category A1 or A motor tricycles.

Able-bodied drivers can no longer ride motor tricycles with a provisional category B licence.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Apologies in advance as I'm sure this sort of thing must get posted alot but I'm after some advice and seem to be going round in circles. So.........
I've decided in the summer of 2019 I'm going to be spending the summer driving around Europe in a motorhome with my wife and 2 children, I'd like to spend the next couple of years hiring motorhomes to get used to driving and general living in them. I currently don't have the c1 licence (but am hoping to have it next year) and wondered if anyone knew a make and model of the biggest I could drive before I do my c1 to get some large vehicle driving experience. I'm going to look at some this weekend but not sure I'd completely trust the dealers to give me the correct information. Many thanks
Darren

Which licence do you have at the moment ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are starting off correctly, don't trust everything a salesman tells you

On the side of our motorhome is the weight plate, all should be fairly easily found somewhere usually near the door (habitation door rather than cab doors)

That will give you something to check, but will also add to your potential confusion but one of the weights quoted must be 3500kg or less, one will also show a towing limit weight that can and does confuse

there are loads made you can drive, but most seem to have virtually no payload (you and all your stuff, inc fuel water gas etc)

good luck though, nice plan :)(y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Length, height and width have no bearing on your licence whereas weight does.
With a standard car licence (B) you can drive up to 3500kg gross weight.
A C1 licence increases this to 7500kg.
The gross weight MUST be displayed on the vans VIN plate so it's easy to see what it weighs.
The VIN plate is usually under the bonnet or in the door opening and will show a series of weights, the relevant one is named either...
Gross weight (or simply GW)
GVW (gross vehicle weight)
MAM (maximum authorised mass)

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As mentioned, it sounds as though you can drive a motorhome up to 3,500kg. Even with that restriction you can still use a surprisingly large-size van. The problem that many on here will raise is the consequent limited loading capacity. In other words, many big vans are too close to the 3,500kg limit before you put any personal belongings in, fill up with fresh water and gas etc. But that needn't necessarily restrict you from trying out the driving experience of a large van, provided you don't take much stuff, only carry a minimum amount of fresh water etc and keep within the 3,500kg limit.

By the way :welcome3: to the fun! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Welcome to the fun,enjoy. With full licence without C1 You can drive 3.500 KGs Max .Plenty around at that weight to hire, but not cheap .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back