mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all, We are off to Snowdonia in September, our first time in North Wales. We don't have the facility to tow so sometimes Julie follows behind in her car. What I was wondering is, will we be restricted much if we leave the car behind(narrow lanes and things). Any suggestions for places to visit would be appreciated. Thanks,

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Hi, you shouldn't have to many problems as long as you don't go down the little tracks. Loads of good places to visit, Betws y Coed is very nice and you can stay in the carpark overnight if your wildcamping. Llanberis is very nice, Petes eats does a fantastic breakfast. The only place I've had trouble parking is in Beddgelert, the car parks are a bit tight so we found a place on the road. There are also plenty of nice places on Anglesey.

Regards, John

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks John, I'll make a note of those places :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
In the years prior to the motorhome, when we were tuggers, we spent some time camping in Bala. The old saw about not getting lakes without rain is so true that we are surprised that L. Bala hasn't covered all North Wales. As far as we were able to judge it didn't stop raining in Bala all the time we were there. We went out and about just about every day and we had some really nice weather, but when we got back to Bala those that hadn't gone out said that it had rained all day.
Betws y Coed has already been mentioned - Swallow Falls and on the other side of the village Fairy Glen. We also visited Barmouth. There is a waterfall called Pistyll Rhaeadr which is a brilliant place to visit. See here:
http://www.pistyllrhaeadr.co.uk/index.html
A lot of the beauty of N. Wales seems to involve water. Must be all that rain.:RollEyes::Smile:

We plan to spend more time in North Wales fairly soonish so let us know of anywhere else that you discover that we should put on the 'to do' list. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Should not be a problem, we took RV there this year and although we took toad as well we never came across anywhere too narrow for RV, lovely area :thumb:

evanowen

Free Member
Jul 17, 2010
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Once had a VW
Exp
Ardudwy Coast

If you are passing Dyffryn Ardudwy (mid way between Barmouth and Harlech) do come wildcamping on our land, sea views, close to Spar, lots of walks, railway (best way to explore between Aberystwyth and Pwllheli). On bus route too. One field has water, main drainage and electricity, can't be seen from the road, very secluded. Pics available.

We are not site operators, we just want to see how friendly motorhome owners are before we set up a site, we have horses who are having their summer holidays on the other land we own. :thumb:

Attachments

• Morannedd land.jpg
    Morannedd land.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Dyffryn Dunes to Lleyn.jpg
    Dyffryn Dunes to Lleyn.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Appreciate the offer Evanowen, unfortunately we are already booked into a place further north near Maunfawr. Will bear you in mind though. I think if you browse through some of the threads on here you will see that we are a very friendly bunch. I'm sure we would all like to know about your plans for the future though, and you'll find lots of help on here too. Good luck with it.:thumb:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
You will have no problems on the road just avoid the very obvious narow ones .
Betws y Coed is a good base to explore from and as mentioned the car park for wild camping is superb being right in the middle of the village.The Snowdon Ranger bus service has a stop in the car park so you can always leave your van there and hop on the bus to all sorts of places in North Wales .
Have fun its a great place

evanowen

Free Member
Jul 17, 2010
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Once had a VW
Exp
Hope you enjoy Maunfawr, er.. I think it might be Waunfawr. Handy for Caernarfon and Bangor if you want to go to a town (not my cup of tea, too many people) also handy for Anglesey (my birthplace) which is flat, windy and attracts sea mist in good weather, particularly the Holyhead end, no scenery to talk of. Mind you Waunfawr is fairly close to Beddgelert which gets packed in the season, tell me why do people travel hunderds of miles to 'get away from it all' only to gather in droves in 'nice little villages'? :RollEyes:

I noticed somebody on a blog somehwere saying that it always rains in Bala, I can only agree! The mountains attract rain clouds big time and it is always 5 degrees cooler inland than it is on the coast. In winder we have often been caught out after leaving a snow free house only to find a snowdrift around Bala, might exaplin why there so many miserable people there :Sad:

A couple from the Wirral came down with their Pilote thingy yesterday, no idea what it cost but it was BIG, what looked like a 'garage' at one end for their bikes, they did say it was awkward in traffic, not surprised, they liked the spot so much that they offered to buy a piece so that they can come down whenever they want, interesting idea :Smile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you are passing Dyffryn Ardudwy (mid way between Barmouth and Harlech) do come wildcamping on our land, sea views, close to Spar, lots of walks, railway (best way to explore between Aberystwyth and Pwllheli). On bus route too. One field has water, main drainage and electricity, can't be seen from the road, very secluded. Pics available.

We are not site operators, we just want to see how friendly motorhome owners are before we set up a site, we have horses who are having their summer holidays on the other land we own. :thumb:

That's a generous offer Evanowen - thanks! How's the best way to get in touch to fix up a visit. We live in Bristol, have a small but self-contained motorhome and hope to visit the area in the coming weeks.

Regards
Mike and Sue

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

ooohhh..that sounds very interesting indeed.I have an idea where abouts you are and that area is crying out for a decent CL or CS. Ive done loads of miles over the years in Wales around the Gwynedd area and found it a great place to take my motor home so if you do set up a site there then you can count me in for a visit. Last time I came down I stopped on the layby outside of Porthmadog on the road going back up to Trawsffynedd(?) and had a very unpleasent experience with idiots in cars driving past at 2 in the morning with their horns blaring. Id gone there the day before I was to go on my site( aberech sands) because my neighbours are a buch of anti social munters and decided to park their cars off their drives and make it impossible for me to get off my drive in the daytime. I had to wait til evening to move the van so I went the night before.

I'd love to stop on your land for one night but since I am a new member and all and you dont know me,Id feel a right cheeky begger doing so. Fingers crossed you get a good site though. MY friend Arwyn did much the same as you are thinking in Rhoscolyn in Anglesey and is six weeks into his first go as a CL owner.

Bessy regs

Kenny

evanowen

Free Member
Jul 17, 2010
Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
Once had a VW
Exp
Try my email, don't like putting telephone numbers up on t'Internet because I don't want a "vaycashun in the careebeeun, press nine nooww"

evan dot owen at btinternet dot com

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A CL or a CS for which club?

Sorry for the delay in my reply Evan...could only make myself premum member today to reply.

My friend has opted to make his site a Certified location. If you want, I can put a post on here with the photos I took which he is going to put on his website so that you can see how he laid his out. Ive been two two sites now that are similarly laid out and seem to be the most accessable ways to make one for caravans( boo hiss) or motorhomes ( yahyyyyyyyyyy)

Hope this helps and I would be most interested to have a look at your place. I am going to Arwyn's this weekend and planning a trip down from Anglesey to Barmouth so wouldnt mind a look....

Bessy regs

Kenny

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Don't know if you are aware but I am pretty sure Jim is setting up some CL'S for Motorhome Fun which may not need so many rules and reulations as the CC or CCC and it would be in a excellent location. :Smile:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007

Hope that applies to all FUNSTERS :ROFLMAO:.

Don

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know if you are aware but I am pretty sure Jim is setting up some CL'S for Motorhome Fun which may not need so many rules and reulations as the CC or CCC and it would be in a excellent location. :Smile:

Thats good to know :) just goes to show that you can join a forum and gain all sorts of good things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back