No snow this morning.....just rain....... :(

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Snow, Ice, Slush and all things cold and wet. This is my humble opinion from 60 degrees north. On my car I change to studded winter tyres in November or when the weather dictates and reverse this in the spring. On the MH I run on winter tyres all year, non studded. But dont use the MH if there is an icy glaze on the road, it would be ok but I use the car with studded tyres. Thats just my choice.

Winter tyres are made from a rubber compound that keeps softer as temperatures fall. Summer tyres start to harden below 7 degrees (C). The key indicator on the Tyre is the three peaks and snowflake symbol, dont be fooled into M&S tyres. Even so some tyres with the three peaks and a snowflake symbol are not as good as others, so do your homework. Big tread (over 4mm) and 'Sipes' (the small, thin slots molded into the tread blocks) are important, especially in ice.

Some rules change as you go over 3.5 tons so again its good to do your homework on different regions in the European area.

The locals here who have many more years of experience than I do, would not go out in the winter without studded tyres, and these studs are really only of use on ice. We quite often get a thaw in the spring which creates an ice glaze as it freezes at night. Also many road are cleared but there is still a layer of compacted snow/ice to contend with.

If I lived in the UK I would probably run year round on winter tyres, they wear a bit more due to softer rubber but I guess a MH does not need the summer grip of a high performance car. (dont have a go at me if you drive your MH like a sports car). Winter tyres are good for wet, grass and mud in the summer as well.

Just to add as a final thought, the sound here in the early winter and spring is of the 'clitter clatter' of studs on tarmac. Yes it causes much damage to the roads and they need repairing but as with most things in life there is a money/life balance to be had. I am a Life over Money sort of person.

Do your own due diligence where tyres are concerned, these are my thoughts and as I get older I learn that I dont know very much. Be safe out there as its a weird world.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back