Snow (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Heading to the cotswolds this Friday and heavy snow showers expected . I’ve not driven the moho in the snow before -
Though in cars many a time . Is it easier / harder and would experienced motorhome drivers not recommend it (don’t have winter tyres nor chains )

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Depends on the van weight, whether you are FWD or RWD and your tyres. Plus how good all the other drivers are. Given that I take mine to the Alps every winter I’d not be worried.
Chances are the salt will turn any snow to horrid slush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Never done it in the motorhome. My main concern would be if you are front wheel drive,like most,then you need to get as much weight up front. That’s easier said than done.
You could lower the front tyre pressures,which should help grip,but don’t sue me if that’s the cause of your crash ;) :giggle:
Have you got an ASR button in your van? If so,use it!
Good luck.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I drove from Bristol to Oxford during the Beast from the East a couple of years ago. Only problem I had was the windscreen washers freezing up!
Best to use the stuff you put in the washer bottle neat i.e.undiluted :giggle:

No,I don’t mean drink it for gods sake!!!!!!!!;):rolleyes::LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Heading to the cotswolds this Friday and heavy snow showers expected . I’ve not driven the moho in the snow before -
Though in cars many a time . Is it easier / harder and would experienced motorhome drivers not recommend it (don’t have winter tyres nor chains )
Chains in UK,,? You would be forever taking them off and putting them on..Can't use chains when the roads have been salted/ploughed. BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Chains in UK,,? You would be forever taking them off and putting them on..Can't use chains when the roads have been salted/ploughed. BUSBY.
I carry chains..... If its a choice of getting up a snow covered hill or face a possibly snow covered detour ill use chains any day.
But.... I've had my current chains 3 years and they haven't been out the box, my previous chains never saw daylight either and I had them 5 years.
No proper snow around here for 8 years.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I carry chains..... If its a choice of getting up a snow covered hill or face a possibly snow covered detour ill use chains any day.
But.... I've had my current chains 3 years and they haven't been out the box, my previous chains never saw daylight either and I had them 5 years.

When I fitted winter tyres to my van, I ordered the tyres online, an option popped up to add snow chains. I think they were about 30 quid more. Having been in at least 2 situations in cars where i wish we'd had them, i added them to the order hoping to never use them.

Headed off to Switzerland a couple of weeks after they had had 13ft of snow in 10 days, I was going to Tasch in the valley below Zermatt which had been completely cut off by anything other than helicopter. By the time i got there, the roads were clear and dry but there were some huge piles of snow that had been cleared. Alas the campsite weren't so thorough, got half way up the drive with brand new winter tyres and spun out.

Had to put the chains on to go the last 20 meters!! a I was completely blocking anyone arriving or departing.

My point is, rather long windedly (have i invented a new word?) for 30 quid and a few kilos it's a no brainer. You cant be down to your last 30 quid and be able to go anywhere in a motorhome and if the 3 or 4 kg's (?) puts you over the limit, you have the wrong van!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I took a front wheel drive coachbuilt to the Cairngorms in Feb some years back. Ordinary oem tyres and no problems even on fresh snow. Two adults and 3 kids, probably overloaded, toboggans on the bike rack..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I took a front wheel drive coachbuilt to the Cairngorms in Feb some years back. Ordinary oem tyres and no problems even on fresh snow. Two adults and 3 kids, probably overloaded, toboggans on the bike rack..
Fresh Snow isn't really a problem unless you have a lead foot but once it gets a bit compacted and polished by the lead foot drivers spinning their wheels you won't beat chains.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have found the Fiat Ducato vans drive really well in snow, much better than some cars i've had. Weight and braking is the first thing i'd be worried about.
Yet they're a pile of shite on wet grass!!!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Second that. I love my van but every time we go to a motocross meeting in some farmers field we have to keep the towing eye in :LOL: And we know we are in for a bad day when we get towed in.

Not sure I would persevere if i needed towing in! :confused:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used mine once a few years ago to get up my road which is on a hill.100 yards and I was on the main road which was clear and spent quarter of an hour removing them.Would have been quicker to have walked to the shop.We just don't get bad snow now.BUSBY.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We live in The Cotswolds.......haven’t heard about any ‘heavy snow showers’ being on the way.......? :unsure: Just sleet AFAIK......

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Driving in Snow..... Your.... BOTTOM... Will/should tell you when the critical point is about to be reached,a few minutes before you lose traction...... HEED the warning. :ROFLMAO:. " St. Michaels underpants/knicker.store " M&S..( NO.. NOT MUD AND SNOW !! ) might be closed.
Tea Bag

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've used mine twice, on the front wheels. O.K. on reasonably softish snow but once onto tarmac on cleared roads...... My Lord, the noise! .......the thumping vibration through the body and steering wheel would've shaken my teeth out if I hadn't had the foresight to put them in my pocket first..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you got an ASR button in your van? If so,use it!
If you have standard Traction Control the button will turn it off it is on by default.
If you have Traction Plus, Traction control is permantly on and the button turns on traction plus.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We live in The Cotswolds.......haven’t heard about any ‘heavy snow showers’ being on the way.......? :unsure: Just sleet AFAIK......
Err... :eek:
1606768559263.png

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not sure I would persevere if i needed towing in! :confused:
Couldn’t get out if we wanted to...about 150 other vehicles being towed in too. Makes brilliant viewing, vans slewing everywhere. :LOL: Thank goodness for farmers and their tractors. What is galling though is when you actually all get in, set up the van, gas on, do one lap of muddy practice and then they call the meeting off. We love it 😍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back