Snow tyres for winter? (1 Viewer)

E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
Hello all,

All well in Germany, parked in an Aire in Ravensburg along with another Brit Motorhome (we havent seen many at all so far on our trip). The Aire is free with Electricity for 50cents for a Kilowatt.

Someone mentioned to us that we might need to get snow TYRES for the winter for places like Austria, Germany and Czech Republic? We know about snow chains and how they might be vital but we havent heard about tyres...

Can anyone shed any light?

Hope all is well in the UK.

James (and Mike and Eric the motorhome)

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
It's been a long time since I was in those countries but if my memory serves me well, Germany and the Czech republic didn't insist you have snow chains or snow tyres but Austria did the polizie used to make you buy them at service stations

However things may have changed as I said it's been a long time

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Someone mentioned to us that we might need to get snow TYRES for the winter for places like Austria, Germany and Czech Republic? We know about snow chains and how they might be vital but we havent heard about tyres...

Can anyone shed any light?
In Austria and Switzerland its a legal requirement. Dont know about Germany or Czech though i wouldn't think so. Google it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
There is always a lot of talk about this and EXACTLY what the position is I am not

sure. Some roads will have signs to say chains are required to be carried, so I

suggest that it is not a legal requirement to carry them. Everyone who lives in

those areas / countries use winter tyres which must tell you something. Chains

are fine in consistant snow but not where the snow is patchy and slushy.

I believe that if you never drive in such conditions you do not need them. What

is made abundantly clear is that if you have an accident with summer tyres

the burden of proof is upon you to prove the accident was inevitable even with

winter tyres ( i.e. impossible to prove )

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There's not really summer tyres, they are standard tyres. There are winter tyres desighned to displace water more efficiently and also of course to give more grip on Ice. Although I cant answer the question surrounding legal requirement I can say that we thought about them when visiting te alps. You do of course need snow chains in certain areas even in the summer it is a legal requirement to have them. If you have winter tyres then you still need snow chains regardless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back