Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Hi, I'm interested in others views who have used snow socks on their motor home?

I've snow chains which from my perspective are just agro and a final resort in the alps. But a friend has just bought snow socks and on the packet it does state that they are now legal in France for snow chain areas.

Aside from legal / not legal, do they actually work?

Anything to avoid putting chains on in minus temps, dark and losing knuckles has to be worth exploring!

Thanks

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
They work fine on snow and ice but unlike chains they will soon wear out if the snow/ ice is patchy.

We live at the end of a narrow lane that is over 500m from a decent road and a couple of years ago when we left for our winter trip the lane was just solid ice. The first 250m is down hill and the socks worked fine.
They are much easier to put on and take off than the chains. You just have to make sure that you have somewhere to store them until you can clean them off and dry them.
To be honest though we carry both chains and socks to try and cover all eventualities:thumb::Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a set of snow socks as we live down 100 meters of private lane and 200 meters from the main road. i got fed up with clearing the lane everytime we needed to get out so bought a set.

they are great for quick put on and get you to a gritted road. but are not suitable for extended driving or where there is patchy snow / ice / tarmarc.

also do not believe they are acceptable alternative to chains in mountain areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Only an opinion, but I think with more than a few hundred yards use on patchy tarmac and snow, your 3.5 tonne motorhome will just rip socks to bits. You are relying on those steel links to give you traction as well as provide sufficient strength to anchor your van into the ice and prevent the weight of your motorhome tobogganing downhill!
If you want to trust those duties to a bit of fabric, then crack on!
I've not seen commercial vehicles use them, I would stick with chains.

No idea about the law in France, but when I see a road sign saying use chains, I would assume they mean chains!::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Every one I have spoken to that has tried socks on cars have said they are very good but wear far to quickly - expect to use them only a couple of times before they are beyond use.

Personally I have snow chains

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I found this on http://www.roofbox.co.uk:

Q13: Are AutoSock approved for use in the Alps, where “snow chains” are compulsory?
A13: AutoSock have been approved since 2010 for use in France as an alternative to metal snow chains where the B26 snow chain signs require snow chains to be carried. Visitors to France will need to download a sticker to fix to the AutoSock storage bag, and are also advised to download the relevant details, taken from the Gendarmerie website, and AutoSock’s press release.
AutoSock can also legally be used when snowchains must be carried or fitted in the Czech Republic, Germany, and Slovenia.

There's lots of info on there about socks and chains and their usage including:

The Which? snow sock test
Which? published a snow sock test online in February 2012 and, in abbreviated form, in their November 2012 issue. Their articles are copyright, but it seems reasonable to report that, after various tests on fresh cold Swiss snow, they gave a “Best Buy” to three brands, comparing the overall performance in their tests to a top specification winter tyre (100%):
AutoSock 80%
Silknet Plus (also Snocks, Trendy) 76%
ISSE Classic 76%
There are some errors of fact in their copy, but overall they did a good job within the limitations of the tests they set. They have been made aware of some of the wider “issues” in this market, but their general approach is that they will test whatever is available for consumers to purchase. Happily they avoided buying any of the poor quality copies (or copies of copies).
Other snow socks they tested were in a different league overall – you’ll need to find a Which? magazine to get the full results, or subscribe via their web site.

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Ok chains it is! Are any easier to fit than others?

Ok chains it is as I'm away in the alps for a couple of months, and it sounds like socks won't last. Are all chains much of a muchness or does such thing as an easy fit chain exist? I bought a set of range rover chains for my range rover and my word they must be the most over engineered, over complicated piece of kit that I've never used! I couldn't work them out in my lounge let alone on an Alp, but alas even in deep snow I've always made it without them.

So as you can see I'm a useless, non DIY type person, anyone in the same boat and founds chains they can use?!

Cheers

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Snow chains are vehicle specific - risk of damage to brake pipes/rims etc check the site I gave earlier http://www.roofbox.co.uk for the various types and ease of fitting.

No personal interest in the site and I'm sure there are others.

I do however, ::bigsmile: have 2 unused pairs for sale on eBay:

Link Removed

OP
OP
J

Jph123

Free Member
Nov 2, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ducato hymer
Exp
Not enough!
Update

Hi, just read your post (I'd sent my last at about the same time).

That does make interesting reading and made me ask the original question of which is best. You see my friend who bought the socks is a French (Grenoble area) skier and knows what a clutz I am with all things technical.

He went for auto socks because of when he needs to fit them it means he's already late and it's a last resort. So speed of fitting was his main objective. His insurance company only approved the one brand of snow socks but approves countless brands of snow chains.

Interesting .....

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This type of chain is available from several outlets at a price of around £70.

Link Removed

They are a very simple fit, make sure you get the 16mm chain size and select the correct tyre size!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i looked at socks for my car last winter. but opted for a set of Thule chains.
£154 a pair but well worth it for the speed of fit and removal

under a minute to fit...five seconds to remove.

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back