Snow, Snow Chains and Salt (1 Viewer)

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Basically a newbie, although 7 months experience of M/H in Australia, Two trips in Spain (1800klm) next week I will drive over to UK and confront the Beast from the East. I have NO experience of driving on Ice and Snow so have been researching and reading both Motorhome Manual and Fiat Manual where they state:
"Snow chains may only be mounted on the front drive wheels; it is strictly forbidden to mount snow chains on the rear wheels."
In my preparations for UK trip I now have 4 snow chains as I also read on the net, 4 x snow chains give you better control in braking and grip. I am aware they have to be fitted to drive wheels but wonder why they should be forbidden on the rear wheels as well. Can anyone explain/advise.
Also what do you guys do re washing the salt from under the motorhome, wait until home, allow rain water to wash/dilute it, forget it and have a beer?
Do you also clear all the snow from roof before setting off, as with a Spanish LHD plated vehicle I don't want to fall foul of the 'driving without due consideration' or 'using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition' by a PC official...........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can honestly say I see no reason not to put chains on the REAR.
It maybe goes back to the days when all vehicles were rear wheel drive and not safe to chain the steer wheels.
A lot of UK traffic law seems to pre-date the horse and cart.
There should be no reason to fit rears though...all you're doing is pulling the back end and if you're going fast enough to get the REAR end sliding out on corners you're going far too fast for the conditions.
As for snow on the roof, you will be committing an offence if the snow slides off causing an accident in the same way you would if anything carried, ie: cargo, was to come loose and fall off

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Basically a newbie, although 7 months experience of M/H in Australia, Two trips in Spain (1800klm) next week I will drive over to UK and confront the Beast from the East. I have NO experience of driving on Ice and Snow so have been researching and reading both Motorhome Manual and Fiat Manual where they state:
"Snow chains may only be mounted on the front drive wheels; it is strictly forbidden to mount snow chains on the rear wheels."
In my preparations for UK trip I now have 4 snow chains as I also read on the net, 4 x snow chains give you better control in braking and grip. I am aware they have to be fitted to drive wheels but wonder why they should be forbidden on the rear wheels as well. Can anyone explain/advise.
Also what do you guys do re washing the salt from under the motorhome, wait until home, allow rain water to wash/dilute it, forget it and have a beer?
Do you also clear all the snow from roof before setting off, as with a Spanish LHD plated vehicle I don't want to fall foul of the 'driving without due consideration' or 'using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition' by a PC official...........

You'll see more snow in the north of Spain, where you might have to use chains , than you will in the UK.
As @pappajohn said put them on all 4 if you have to use them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Idealy you fit a full set , ie all 4 wheels , HOWEVER , if the owners manual (Fiat or MoHo maker) says not to fit to rear wheels that takes priority , so dont do it . You will not have that much of a problem , as you wont be traveling fast (max 30mph) , and more likely less than that , as the rest of the traffic would be crawling if going at all, if chains are needed. Removal of snow , as @pappajohn advises, clear it off . Re salt as you say have a beer , but be careful of drink /drive limits (low) . No snow , are you from W.A. ? :)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Six years spent in the Alps and never seen a vehicle with more than two wheels fitted with chains , except for snow ploughs.
Once you’ve put one set on you won’t want to put the second set on as most chains are a pain in the arse to fit.
A good set of winter tyres will cope with most conditions but carrying a set of chains if heading for the hills makes sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Just arrived southern Spain having driven across france, then through San Sebastion, Zaragoza roads very clear, if coming direct towards Castellon beware massive road works after Zaragoza long winding route, hindsight we should have taken the road to Valencia. Just starting to unwind at Playa Tropicana.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back