Snow chains/tyres compulsory in France (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A query for those who use snow chains, do they damage the wheels much/at all? We are thinking of getting some but don't want them to damage our alloys.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
A query for those who use snow chains, do they damage the wheels much/at all? We are thinking of getting some but don't want them to damage our alloys.
I have same problem as I already have snow chains from old van that had steel and now new van alloys. By the way never used them but not risking them on alloys.
I have discovered Michelin evolution easy fit system that won’t damage alloys they are around £110 mark for my wheels 225 x 75 x 16.?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Mel.
It depends on the size of the chains. Each set typically covers a range of sizes. If your wheels are towards the top end of the range you’re probably OK as the side of the chains won’t go beyond the tyre and therefore won’t touch the rims.

To be fair we have been skiing a lot and have only ever used the chains to get in and out of snow/ice covered car parks. If the snow is bad enough to need chains on a main road you’re better off stopping until the ploughs have been through. However I wouldn’t be heading to the mountains without winter tyres - they are fantastic, even in just cold/wet conditions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have same problem as I already have snow chains from old van that had steel and now new van alloys. By the way never used them but not risking them on alloys.
I have discovered Michelin evolution easy fit system that won’t damage alloys they are around £110 mark for my wheels 225 x 75 x 16.?
... don't seem to last very long ...

Amazon product ASIN B074P8BLYP

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Minxy Girl i have just found these if you have chains they adapt to protect the wheels.
I’ve ordered some so that I can use the chains I already have.?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Many better chains have inserts to prevent alloy damage. Look for Konig.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Many better chains have inserts to prevent alloy damage. Look for Konig.
Yes that’s correct but my view was that I’ve had them for eight years and not used them so to spend a couple of hundred pounds on better chains would be a waste of money.?
Here’s a link for Konig available for 16 wheels.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So in. Nutshell better to have a accident and possibly kill or maim someone including your family for the price
Of some snow tyres,
IMO you have your priorities all wrong,
I don't think an accident is compulsory whether snow tyres are fitted or not. There are many drivers who are a hazard on any type of tyre and many who would drive safely on slicks. There are drivers who motor to their destinations on snow tyres then go skiing, or winter climbing, or snow boarding. Or riding motorcycles and scooters. Selfish bastards. So in a nutshell it's better to stay at home - after all Winter driving in a motorhome isn't an essential activity.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Minxy Girl i have just found these if you have chains they adapt to protect the wheels.
I’ve ordered some so that I can use the chains I already have.?
I wondered about putting pipe insulation on the chain sides ...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I wondered about putting pipe insulation on the chain sides ...
Yes that would probably work these things are like little stand off studs that clip onto chains. I thought for a tenner they were worth a try??

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Almost all snow chains don't do any damage to wheels as they stay in the box in the back of the car and never get used.....

The usual scenario (from experience) is that it snows late in the evening (in the morning the roads have been cleared), you come out to your vehicle and think i need my snow chains, it's -5º, dark and the last time you looked at the instructions was 2yrs ago, role forwards 30-60mins and a lot of cursing and you may have your chains on, then again if you were smart and fitted Winter or 4 season tyres you were already where you needed to be with a cup of tea in your hand.

Don't forget gloves, some way of washing your hands (brake dust gets every where) a mat to kneel on and a torch.

Unless you're spending a lot of time at 1500m and above then i really wouldn't bother. Ours were binned and never replaced.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
According to the Motorhoming France November newsletter a new law is to make snow chains/tyres compulsory from 1st November to 31st March. If a snow related accident happens and snow chains/tyres are not in use the fine will be 135 euros. The law will apply in 48 departments in France which are deemed to be in mountain areas.
Not just France, it is a widespread rule in Europe. There are even many highways in Sicily that require you to carry chains

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back