Snow chains/tyres compulsory in France (1 Viewer)

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
According to the Motorhoming France November newsletter a new law is to make snow chains/tyres compulsory from 1st November to 31st March. If a snow related accident happens and snow chains/tyres are not in use the fine will be 135 euros. The law will apply in 48 departments in France which are deemed to be in mountain areas.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I just run snow rated tyres all year and so far have not been anywhere high enough to need chains, I believe that they use signs in the mountains when you must fit them but I don't think you would want them on in anything but pretty deep snow.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have snow tyres on all the time. They’re brilliant. We had knee deep snow the other day and -15c temp they performed really well.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
How would you stand then if you were heading to Spain in January via the tunnel. I would presume you would need snow tyres or even chains to get over the Pyrenees range to avoid the fines

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
How would you stand then if you were heading to Spain in January via the tunnel. I would presume you would need snow tyres or even chains to get over the Pyrenees range to avoid the fines

Change to snow tyres. You can keep them on all the time.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went over Andorra on 31st December in 10 foot snow but the roads were clear of snow it was the skiers parked up cars that blocked the roads.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
It's not a mandatory requirement across the 48 departements - only selected areas according to road conditions, decided upon by the local authority. There will be signage on the approach to such an area.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive been waiting for this there was some debate as to wether they wanted full snow of just m&s do you have a link to where you got this infomation

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
According to the Motorhoming France November newsletter a new law is to make snow chains/tyres compulsory from 1st November to 31st March. If a snow related accident happens and snow chains/tyres are not in use the fine will be 135 euros. The law will apply in 48 departments in France which are deemed to be in mountain areas.
still cheaper to pay the fine than shell out for four tyres and chains and the fine is only if you have an accident

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I can't see snow tyres being compulsory ever, every French person in the particular areas would be up in arms, as would the hire companies at the airports for the skiing season

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I can't see snow tyres being compulsory ever, every French person in the particular areas would be up in arms, as would the hire companies at the airports for the skiing season

Not so. Our son lives in the Haute Savoie region of France. Come mid November most people will have swapped onto snow tyres until April the following year. It just makes good sense. They have another set of wheels that have the snow tyres on.

In the winter if you hire a car from Geneva airport and are travelling into his region it will have snow tyres fitted.

It's not a case of avoiding a fine, it's getting the children to school and doing the shopping :)

Mick

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
My hire cars from Europcar in Geneva airport have never had snow tyres, however you can "upgrade" and pay for a higher grade. Also snowchains have to be purchased.
At La Rosiere on the approach road there is a point where you must have chains on to pass but I've never seen it actually policed. Same in the Pyrenees although you'd never make it up when the snow is packed.
Re "most people will have swapped onto snow tyres" should probably be some people etc. Given the state and age of a lot of French cars, particularly in rural areas I find it hard to believe they'll have a spare set of wheels and tyres

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
This snow tyres issue has generated a lot of hot air, if you'll excuse the pun . Motorhoming France really should have checked the facts before publishing.

It came about as draft regulations were under discussion and nothing has yet been decreed. A couple of tyre distributors announced it as a done deal presumably to boost sales and the rumour went viral in France.

This link is a Google translation of a clarification of the state of play with their summary below. Other similar sites confirming that it is fake news are available:

We summarize:
- At this stage, no implementing decree or decree specifies under which conditions the highway code would be completed to introduce new obligations of equipment of vehicles in winter.

- No new obligations will come into effect this winter, according to Road Safety.

- The proposed draft decree would not tend to make winter tires mandatory but would leave the choice, under certain conditions, between snow chains and winter tires.

- This type of obligation does not concern half of the French territory but specifically affected areas decided by decrees.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Just rented a car from Munich airport for December.
It comes with winter tyres and chains.
No extra cost as they are mandatory items in Bavaria in the winter.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
My hire cars from Europcar in Geneva airport have never had snow tyres, however you can "upgrade" and pay for a higher grade. Also snowchains have to be purchased.
At La Rosiere on the approach road there is a point where you must have chains on to pass but I've never seen it actually policed. Same in the Pyrenees although you'd never make it up when the snow is packed

They only police it when the conditions merit it. But if you go beyond that point without chains , and it then snows you will get done if you try to move your vehicle.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many van tyres as standard are m+s tyres . mud and snow.
but carrying some chains dont add that much to weight or space.
they can be size adjustable to cover several tyre sizes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Change to snow tyres. You can keep them on all the time.
You will only be fined if you have an accident or get stuck and block the road.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just read law on another forum..it states snow chains or snow tyres which i presume are winter tyres.BUSBY.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just read law on another forum..it states snow chains or snow tyres which i presume are winter tyres.BUSBY.
Four season all year round tyres from Continental and others have the 3PMSF (3 peaked mountain and snowflake) so they are classed as winter tyres when required not just M+S which don't cut it everywhere as far as the rules are concerned.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have M & S tyres and snow chains.. though I have never put the chains on

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
An explanation of the winter tyre rules has just been published by an online news site for Brits out here. If the section of road allows winter tyres as an option to chains, the words 'pneus neige admis' or 'pneus hiver admis' will be added to the road sign.

There's also a link on that page to a useful interactive map (in French) which shows the requirements throughout Europe.

The same information, in English, can be downloaded as a nicely comprehensive PDF from here.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No need to go over the pair of knees. Use the N10 route. Always snow and Ice free.
I use it as far as Bordeaux then go left to Langon & down through the som port. Far quicker.
Just rented a car from Munich airport for December.
It comes with winter tyres and chains.
No extra cost as they are mandatory items in Bavaria in the winter.
Where my brother lived in Germany everyone had a second set of winter tyres on a spare set of wheels, usually steel.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have a second set of steel wheels for our van with our winter tyres on them. We have been skiing in the van and do carry a set of snow chains with us on our winter travels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back