Snow chain recommendations please? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

I am looking for a set of chains for a Fiat Ducato 2000 running on Michelin Alpin 205/75/16 Winter tyres.

Our previous motorhomes were RWD Mercedes and despite carrying chains as I always do even in the van or car. I have never needed them.

We are heading to Switzerland in March and think I should take a set as we are now a heavy FWD!?

TM

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Anyone that has ever had to use snow chains in anger will tell you not to buy them, but to park up when conditions are that bad that you need to chain up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I always buy in France the market is so much bigger prices are lower especially in the supermarkets. As for make not tried enough to give a view I suspect if you are buying in the hope of never needing to use them get the cheapest to show the box to the gendarmes if you seriously expect to use them get a good set.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
If you purchase your chains in France, make sure you get them for 4x4 / Camping Car. They are more heavy duty, and of course cost a little more.
Standard cheap ones are not really suitable for a heavy Motorhome.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Chains
You only need them when you NEED them.
You can often avoid bad weather low down.
However if you are chasing the snow for winter activities
it's not always possible to just pull over and park up if you have a few hundred other vehicles behind you on the way up a narrow mountain road.My best advice comes in 3 parts.
1) buy easy fit chains
2) practise putting them on at home BEFORE you leave.
3) Carry gloves to wear

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Hi,

I am looking for a set of chains for a Fiat Ducato 2000 running on Michelin Alpin 205/75/16 Winter tyres.

Our previous motorhomes were RWD Mercedes and despite carrying chains as I always do even in the van or car. I have never needed them.

We are heading to Switzerland in March and think I should take a set as we are now a heavy FWD!?

TM
IIRC the Ducato manual states that if you have 16" wheels, you need to get low profile chains which are <16mm. i don't have access to my manual at the moment so can't confirm or provide a citation but i'm sure i read it. ( our PVC has 16" alloy wheels and i'm likely to get chains) that's why i remember it.

Reactions: GBS

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Got mine here (as I had my tyres for years) comprehensive range and helpful notes and advice.

Broken Link Removed

Dick

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Chains
You only need them when you NEED them.
You can often avoid bad weather low down.
However if you are chasing the snow for winter activities
it's not always possible to just pull over and park up if you have a few hundred other vehicles behind you on the way up a narrow mountain road.My best advice comes in 3 parts.
1) buy easy fit chains
2) practise putting them on at home BEFORE you leave.
3) Carry gloves to wear

And a mat to kneel / lie on used mine a few times when skiing. Easy enough to fit but always get plastered in dirty slush taking them off. Don't know the make had them a good few years now but bought a good quality heavy duty pair and they've been a God send.
Don't waste money on snowsocks if you're serious, they won't last 10 minutes on a snow covered Alpine pass.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Anything under 16mm link will just shred to bits on a van or 4x4 with big wheels. Always choose the heavy duty option. My experience with snow socks is they are pretty useless when you really need them

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Any recommendations for snow chains for a twin wheel axle ?

Are they any good for use on mud / sand / wet grass ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Look up 'Autosock' as an alternative to chains.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-for-vans/

For our van with 16" wheels I think we need the 697 ones.
Autosox will get you out of trouble but I doubt they could be left on for 10s of miles which be the case in the alps etc.

My chains have been in the boot since I bought them years ago, one chain was trial fitted when new but that's the only time the box has been opened.
If you have chains you won't need them, but if you don't have them you most probably will.

Called 'sod's law'

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are they any good for use on mud / sand / wet grass ?
In my opinion, no used at all.
Chains need something to 'bite' on......ice or tarmac under snow, roots and rocks under mud and grass.
Chances are you will only dig in deeper in the absence of a hard sub structure.
I used to drive extreme off road for fun and relied on proper off road tyres and a winch when necessary.
The winch was for when the axle was in the mud and tyres still hadn't hit rocks or roots

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@TeeMyob
Here you go got the van outside just checked mine as described earlier used many times on 5 tonne tag axle fully loaded and always worked.
For some reason picture not uploading anyway they're Thule XG Pro here's a link

https://snowchains.co.uk/snowchains

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
@TeeMyob
Here you go got the van outside just checked mine as described earlier used many times on 5 tonne tag axle fully loaded and always worked.
For some reason picture not uploading anyway they're Thule XG Pro here's a link

https://snowchains.co.uk/snowchains

Thanks,

Are they easy to fit?

Website linked me to the CU9-235 9mm not the König XG-12 PRO 225 12mm

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks,

Are they easy to fit?

Website linked me to the CU9-235 9mm not the König XG-12 PRO 225 12mm

Yeah simple enough to fit and self adjusting, practice a couple of times at home putting them on and off before you leave as its always more difficult in the snow or dark.
Always wash mine off and give a good spray of silicone when I get home.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for easy fit chains with a mat and keep gloves with them.
We have We have Thule easy fit SUV which either of us can easily fit.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Anything under 16mm link will just shred to bits on a van or 4x4 with big wheels. Always choose the heavy duty option. My experience with snow socks is they are pretty useless when you really need them
i was just quoting the Ducato user manual. there must be a reason they have stated <16mm chains only for vans with 16" wheels. i can only suspect due to clearance issues with chassis, suspension or brake lines.
my car chains are for 225/45/18 wheels and are Weissenfels Clack and Go with 9mm chains. looking at chains for the van with 225/75/16 wheels, there are 4 options in total, 2 options of 17mm chains and 2 options with 13mm chains, including a weissenfels set . i"ll be going for those ones as they are within the spec set out in the manual

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It doesn't surprise me that there are limitations on the thickness of the chains for the larger wheels, when we had Ford FWD based MHs we were not supposed to use chains on them at all due to lack of clearance according to Ford!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back