Snooty B******** Caravan Club site. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I just phoned a site to book our first test night in the Motorhome and the first thing I was asked was whats your membership number.

My what?

Your membership number.

My library card membership?

No your caravan club membership.

O I don't have one. We only bought the thing a week ago so not really looked at all that yet..... I was then told well its members only of the Caravan club and not to be confused with the Camping & Caravan club as that wont get you access.

"So what if I go somewhere else and they ask for my Camping & Caravan club membership? How many clubs do I need to join?"

I feel I may as well pissed on her kids for suggesting its a bit of an inconvenience to have everyone in my pockets for this and that when we have just started down this hobby and just want a first night test before committing to joining the Nazi party and others.

Really annoyed.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Don't bother joining any of those 2 cubs to many do and don't and park by this peg and door to face that way load of snobby bo---ks , join Brit stops far better

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
But that's the good thing about a motorhome - you don't need to join the Caravan Club! We are in the Camping and Caravan Club though - they have 'meets' that you can just turn up at without booking. Use this forum as a resource - there are loads of places people know of to stop over without joining any club. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Know how you feel, we joined the camping and caravan club when we first started out but haven't been a member of any for the last couple of years.. If we must stay on a site i like to be able to make my own choices, apart from the fact your only renting a small bit of grass for a lot of money, nearly £40 a night it cost us last time.. Its enough to put anyone off staying on them

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If the campsite was owned exclusively by the Caravan club then surely it is only for the use of their members ? Unless stated otherwise.

Like if you broke down in your motorhome you'd really have to be in the AA to expect them to come out to rescue you.

Loads of non-CC or CCC campsites around, even people on this site who run campsites, just ask for advice on places in areas you'd like to visit.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't understand why you're annoyed... seems a perfectly reasonable question to me o_O.
Surely you didn't expect to be able to book a pitch on a "Caravan Club" site without being a member.

How many clubs do you need to join? As many as necessary for you to book where you want to - which means any number from none [for those who wildcamp or use commercial independent sites] to several, if you want complete freedom of choice.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How many clubs do I need to join?"

The Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Cub are both worth joining for their 5 van sites Network. There are literally thousands of these little sites allover the country, most offering great value stays. (y)

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I don't understand why you're annoyed... seems a perfectly reasonable question to me o_O.
Surely you didn't expect to be able to book a pitch on a "Caravan Club" site without being a member.
I had no clue. I googled Caravan Sites Sheffield & picked the one I liked due distance and local knowledge.

Google did not tell me its Caravan Club only

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Both clubs have benefits of joining. I am sorry that you managed to speak to someone who has forgotten what its like to be just starting out and might need some help or guidance.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I can imagine it being frustrating and embarrassing as you didn't know. However it seems quite good of them to explain the two memberships to help prevent further distress. Britstops as I understand it don't generally have the services and facilities you could normally expect from a club site, but there are plenty of independent sites too. This web site seems to be as good as anywhere to see what's available and they tell you about any rules etc.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Clearly he didn't know that you had to be a member to use those sites. He does now :)
To be fair that's not the "Snooty B******** Caravan Club site's" fault.
I'm sure if the agent hadn't had the "my library card membership" response, they may have patiently explained & offered to sign him up :cool:.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I had no clue. I googled Caravan Sites Sheffield & picked the one I liked due distance and local knowledge.

Google did not tell me its Caravan Club only
Because I am a nosy mare I tried the same search as you did.
The top one I have no knowledge of
The second one I am sure that @Anthea M rates
The third one is on my must do list
Forth doesnt appeal to me but will do to others
Fifth we went to the other week when we had to attend a funeral locally, site wardens lovely, site lovely, no phone signal whatsoever but heho

Good luck with your search dont let it put you off

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
To be fair that's not the "Snooty B******** Caravan Club site's" fault.
I'm sure if the agent hadn't had the "my library card membership" response, they may have patiently explained & offered to sign him up :cool:.

One can only guess at the snooty tone the OP endured while being "Educated" I've been educated by them myself on numerous occasions. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
One can only guess at the snooty tone the OP endured while being "Educated" I've been educated by them myself on numerous occasions. :)
Each to their own - I've never [yet] encountered anything but polite courteous agents on the end of the phone.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
even private sites can be snooty or even worse don't give a monkeys about the state of the site..

We like certificated sites, Britstops and private, some cc and ccc sites. It all depends on what you are doing, what is available and the time of year. I only stay on hard standings from now until April

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are members with both clubs or businesses, what ever you want to call them. There are good points and bad points in both. We use one for our insurance and breakdown cover which for us is good. We have booked ferry and campsites in Spain through the CCC. Stayed on CC sites, one of our favourites is Dulverton, nice site nice pub at the end of the road and only a hour away from us and never had a problem with the wardens. We phone and tell them we are 9 metres because only a few pitches we can actually fit on and it's never a problem. You pays your money and makes your choice. No point in moaning about them, just don't join if not happy.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Not all Caravan Club sites are member only, just as not all Camping and Caravanning Club sites are open to all. We belong to both it's cheap, and worth it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't need to pay either of the horrible companies for "membership" if you don't want to.

Their Stalags are horrible places that aren't worth visiting.

There are plenty of places you can go to without subjecting yourself to their endless petty rules and regimentation (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Their Stalags are horrible places that aren't worth visiting.

No way. We are booked into Braithwaite Fold next weekend, a really great place. Spotless good showers. A few yards from the lake, good cycling and all your heart desires in town a quarter of a mile away. And nice helpful wardens.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I cancelled my membership of both. If you are a member here just ask people for suggestions when you know where you are going . I have stayed on CC and Cc c sites whilst not a member .. not all of them insist on it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No way. We are booked into Braithwaite Fold next weekend, a really great place. Spotless good showers. A few yards from the lake, good cycling and all your heart desires in town a quarter of a mile away. And nice helpful wardens.

I've actually stayed at that one. There was nothing about it that would attract me back although Bowness is one of our favourite places in this country.

No idea about the toilet and shower blocks. I'm not a tugger, my motorhome has all the facilities I need on board.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
I find the CC quite good, but dread the knock on the door, "you are not close enough to the peg" or "you are facing the wrong way"
It's no use explaining that as a motorhome you are only taking up one third of the pitch and there is room for a car on one side of me, or even that as a continental Moho my door is on the other side.
I just get a blank look.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back