"Snoopers Charter" OR "National Security"? (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What really pisses me off is all the money they are going to spend on this. ......... Be a damn sight cheaper to get The Sun to do it again. :whistle:

Just sayin.:LOL:

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Use. Once analysed, how can we be sure that 'our' information will not be sold to interested parties... DVLA anyone?
Or other departments or councils using this information inappropriately or in a way which was never intended...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...se-anti-terror-laws-to-spy-on-bin-crimes.html
That Telegraph article is a load of round objects.
RIPA was not "introduced to help the police fight terrorism and crime in 2000", it was introduced to overcome the blocks on legitimate investigation created by the mess that is the HRA.
It is only a restricted part of RIPA which refers to investigations by local authorities, investigations which are completely legitimate.
I notice that the only actual case they quote of misuse is the Poole one - an error that was condemned by those of us in the game as well as everyone else when it happened.

As regards sale of information by the DVLA, what information do they sell that they should not?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Would you all be so ok with it , if they were listening in to your phone calls or opening your mail, don't see any difference and will probably be the next step.
I would have a problem with those things yes. But luckily I'm not a terrorist so it's not going to happen is it. They have been monitoring mobile phone calls for years. Again as terrorism isn't some thing I'm planning to use my motorhome for this year I can't see them wasting any time singling me out for special observation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I realise that there are more cctv cameras here that anywhere else but it doesn't worry me, ANRP cameras don't either. If I was trying to do something wrong, had something to hide they might but hey ho.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
That Telegraph article is a load of round objects.
In your opinion...
As regards sale of information by the DVLA, what information do they sell that they should not?
It may be legal - but it's immoral imho to sell registration data properly gathered by government to private commercial organisations.

...which in a nutshell is my objection to governments being given even more power to collect even more data on it's citizens under the 'catch all' guise of "security".

Deleted User
No problem with it at all.
Law abiding citizens nothing to worry about, even the non law abiding citizens in most respects won't need to worry.

Keeping our country safe from terrorists, priceless.

:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In your opinion...
Professional opinion, with inside knowledge.
It may be legal - but it's immoral imho to sell registration data properly gathered by government to private commercial organisations.

...which in a nutshell is my objection to governments being given even more power to collect even more data on it's citizens under the 'catch all' guise of "security".
What registration data? Who sells it improperly?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not technically improperly perhaps but, in my view, immorally.
What registration data is sold in any way immorally?
Any registration data released to a third party by the DVLA are released perfectly legally and in circumstances which the providers of those data have agreed to. A fee is charges so that it is the recipient who pays not the taxpayer.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I can not see how it can work this snooping thing.
You could view websites via a wifi connection any place in the world, that is not thro your ISP
You could go to an internet cafe, if you can find one these days,
You could use a pay as you go phone, or its sim in an Ipad,
Maybe even use a VPN like I do out of the UK to use I Player, its makes the computer
act as if the UK
Use satellite internet.

or maybe somebody knows better :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you don't get what I'm getting at by now, [but I'm sure you do ;)]there's no point in repeating myself.
You think it's right & proper for a government agency to sell your private data to a commercial business.
I don't [legal yes, moral no]

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you don't get what I'm getting at by now, [but I'm sure you do ;)]there's no point in repeating myself.
You think it's right & proper for a government agency to sell your private data to a commercial business.
I don't [legal yes, moral no]
What private data? When we provide registration data to DVLA we agree that it can be released in the proper circumstances provided by law. The whole point is that the data are not private in those circumstances.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can not see how it can work this snooping thing.
You could view websites via a wifi connection any place in the world, that is not thro your ISP
You could go to an internet cafe, if you can find one these days,
You could use a pay as you go phone, or its sim in an Ipad,
Maybe even use a VPN like I do out of the UK to use I Player, its makes the computer
act as if the UK
Use satellite internet.

or maybe somebody knows better :)
Yes, you could do that. It is no different, really, from people having clandestine meetings in the middle of the night. No doubt if all criminals acted in that manner it would make the job of law enforcers harder.
As we see all the time, though, people are arrested and prosecuted because they do not act in that sort of manner. The people who the intelligence agencies are after are no different, some are careful and some are careless. That is no reason, though, to prevent those agencies from using tools which make catching the careless easier.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The daft thing about this is the only folks affected are law abiding citizens. Terrorists and criminals long ago moved to the dark web and using burn phones so will remain unmonitored.

And all those saying you have nowt to hide, just remember this data will be held by telecoms companies on HMG behalf - Talk Talk hack anyone?

And finally ask yourself why at the time they are seeking greater scrutiny of our behaviour they are trying to shut down FOI requests - you know the law that allowed us to find out about their wrongdoings and expenses claims etc?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have not got a problem with it

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Well I think its more intrusion by the Government,as for its the LAW,well they just change it to suit there needs.
My needs are to be able to converse in peace on the phone or via internet with whom I feel the need,not have some paranoid Government eaves dropping and poking around.
If these so called intelligent elite had done there job properly in the first place,there would be no need for this Snoopers Charter.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
What l think most of us are forgetting is that we are at war and if these measures are necessary then so be it............

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am not sure where I stand with the bill. On one hand I am very against it, since it legitimises going through the data of people who are entirely innocent, and we should have the right to lead a private life.
That said, within a matter of minutes, I could probably produce a 5 generation family tree, and a lot of personal information for any person who uses the internet and posts to forums/social media within about 10 minutes, using only a photo that has been posted online!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well I think its more intrusion by the Government,as for its the LAW,well they just change it to suit there needs.
My needs are to be able to converse in peace on the phone or via internet with whom I feel the need,not have some paranoid Government eaves dropping and poking around.
If these so called intelligent elite had done there job properly in the first place,there would be no need for this Snoopers Charter.
Thing is though, Steve, is that it isn't more intrusion, just the same level as from since well before you and I were born but not being prevented from obtaining Internet based data.
Nobody is going to eavesdrop or poke around in the records of the vast majority of us. They will simply follow leads as they traditionally have done.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
it legitimises going through the data of people who are entirely innocent
The only time data relating to individuals will be gone through is when there is intelligence which arouses suspicion about them. That's what happens already, and always has done, with information stored by other means.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back