Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
thinking of buying one, anyone got one or can recommend another type which comes with lifetime free up dates as well as uk & European camp sites

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
From reading on here I'd go with one of the cheaper Chinese ones. I've found the Snooper overpriced for what it is.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Snooper works for me ,it has never let me down no matter where I have been. Expensive? Probably but you only get what you pay for..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Wife left me so replaced her with the Caravan Club Snooper, in comparison found it much much cheaper and more reliable. So far I've used it in the UK, France, Belgium and Germany and have never ended up anywhere I didn't want to.

And I bet its got every Wetherspoons on it.:D:D

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Have been pleased with my Snooper, toured Scotland with it this year and it didn't let me down.
As someone else said they are expensive but you get what you pay for.(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Snooper for me!
Never let me down in uk or France. Downloaded aires and sites.
Also Bluetooth for phone and useful as a small freeview tv!
With the current offer of free lifetime updates it's a no brainer IMHO
And yes - u get what u pay for(y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Looks like I'm the only one who hates my Snooper! It does have campsites in it and it's mostly taken me right to them.
Maybe it taking me to the centre of a French field and up a single track in Devon was user failure :)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Looks like I'm the only one who hates my Snooper! It does have campsites in it and it's mostly taken me right to them.
Maybe it taking me to the centre of a French field and up a single track in Devon was user failure :)

I ended up in the hospital at Arras, my fault for bad typing :notworthy:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have the S5000 snooper and added reversing camera directly into it very simple, engage reverse picture from camera (y) remove from reverse back to sat nave.

the ventura model has the campsites on not just the CC version

if you do get a snooper ensure you get the latest as its got lifetime maps udates and " a built in " dash camera recorder.

Oh, and buy from Performance products who a re " snooper" snooper direct is not Snooper:doh:

performance products have excellent customer service back up (y) had a problem with charging when mine was nearly 3 years old the took it in checked it out and it came back with a new charger unit "FREE"!

expensive but the get my vote.(y)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

did you input the van dimensions and weights? i tried to trick mine when i first had it and it kept correcting me to avoid the " problem area"

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
My Satnav has lifetime free updates and voice recognition.

It has campsites, Acsis sites, all Stellplatz, all Aires by type, all major fastfood restaurants, supermarkets (all brands), wildcamping locations, English Heritage, National Trust, castles, France Passion, petrol stations, LPG stations, all types of CC sites, all types of C&CC sites, B&Q, motorway services, Archies, Campercontact, Bordatlas, Campingcard, all across the UK and the whole of Europe.

However, it isn't a Snooper it's a Garmin. Sorry about that.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have the Chinese truck sat nav and it is good value. However, it isn't a patch on the Snooper that I played with; the Chinese one is slower to respond to touch screen commands and takes longer to display routes. If I had the extra cash, I'd get a Snooper (after having another play to confirm that it is as fast as I think that it is) but, for £60, the Chinese machine is adequate.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had, still have, a s7000. It was ok, but the software is very quirky. Now replaced with the equivalent sized Garmin. Superb piece of kit, with free European map updates and speed cameras. It also has traffic, is easy to load POI's, has various inputs, but no tv like the Snooper had, which I never used.:clap: Again not cheap, but reading all the threads regarding the Chinese one, I'm glad I don't have one. :mask:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Pleased with our Snooper which got us around Belgium, Germany, France etc for 4 weeks recently. Biggest problem seemed to be roads closed for roadworks that was on the proposed route but that's not Snoopers fault.

Multiple Junctions can sometimes be an issue in getting the right one in the heat of the moment but I think that's more driver error.

Happy Phantom

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
Got a snooper already fitted with new van, but have tom tom truck, the one for motorhomes, with the sites on, we keep using that, rather than switch the snooper on the tom tom took us around France and Spain with no problem.

Happy Phantom

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
Got a snooper already fitted with new van, but have tom tom truck, the one for motorhomes, with the sites on, we keep using that, rather than switch the snooper on the tom tom took us around France and Spain with no problem.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
did you input the van dimensions and weights? i tried to trick mine when i first had it and it kept correcting me to avoid the " problem area"
Oh yes-- and added a bit which I thought would make sure I'd not get stuck anywhere. Can laugh about it now but at the time, on my own it was scary. There were tears!

Now looking for a not-much-bigger-than-car camper van so maybe I'll resort to TomTom and put Snooper on Ebay!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We,currently,use a Garmin 1490-recently we spent 3 weeks travelling with another couple who had a Snooper. They had no probs getting to where we were going ,but sometimes arrived by a different route.
I played with the Snooper a bit and didn't think it was as straightforward as our Garmin,nor did I like the display very much.
When we need a new Sat nav,I think I will be favouring the Garmin camper one.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have the Snooper with the 'large vehicle' settings. Not that ours is all that large, which may be part of the problem.

In general, it's been fine, but I have had two errors.

One dark & foggy night in Gloucestershire it routed me down a road that was unsuitable. It asked me to turn right at a hairpin junction where there wasn't room to make the turn & where the road I was turning into fell away so much across the corner that I grounded the step as it dropped across the corner. I may need to lie to it & tell it the van is bigger than it really is!

There is also an inconsistency between the displayed speed limit & the spoken announcements. It displays the speed limit that applies to the road, but speaks the limit it thinks applies to your vehicle type. Even though it is the Ventura, not the TruckMate, I think the spoken limits are the ones that would apply to an HGV.

Setting it to go the way you want to, rather than it's chosen route isn't all that easy. Also I haven't found an easy way to zoom out mid-route to see where you are in relation to your wider surroundings - helpful if you want to deviate from the route. I often use Google maps or Waze on my phone for backup when I need an overview.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We,currently,use a Garmin 1490-recently we spent 3 weeks travelling with another couple who had a Snooper. They had no probs getting to where we were going ,but sometimes arrived by a different route.
I played with the Snooper a bit and didn't think it was as straightforward as our Garmin,nor did I like the display very much.
When we need a new Sat nav,I think I will be favouring the Garmin camper one.
I have the Garmin 3590 model and it takes me down some of the stupidest white roads you could imagine. Yes, it would get me there but not on roads I like to be on! It's is set up to take me on the fastest route but quite often her route is slower, longer and on white roads, so never again.:(

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We have a chinese, 7" screen, bluetooth, more gadgets than we will ever use. Can't fault it, especially at under £60. We pay for up-dated card each year - $10 including postage WHY PAY MORE!!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have the Garmin 3590 model and it takes me down some of the stupidest white roads you could imagine. Yes, it would get me there but not on roads I like to be on! It's is set up to take me on the fastest route but quite often her route is slower, longer and on white roads, so never again.:(

As with all sat navs,if you want to travel on certain roads then it is best to put in Way Points to ensure that you go the way you want-or,have your passenger (assuming you have one) read a map as you travel so that 'corner cuts' etc can be avoided.
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back