Snipe satellite dishes - do they last the course? (2 Viewers)

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
Well we've signed on the dotted line for our 2008 Swift Bolero 630EW, ordered the microwave and the extra mains socket in the washroom for my hairdryer (essential) and now we just wait. One question still unanswered tho. We don't really want to fork out another £2K for a sat dome so our thoughts turned to the Snipe which I've read a lot about on here. And £550 is a lot more appealing. However, our MH dealer won't install one. Says they're rubbish and the motors pack up.

Anyone had this problem?:cautious::cautious:

Annie

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for the Snipe. Had mine (version 1) for a couple of years with no probs. Get good signals in France too.

Like @Voger1010 I haven't permanently fitted mine. Didn't fancy paying out and then leaving it on the van if I changed motorhomes. Great bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Since this thread popped up, I have been doing a little bit of research. They look pretty damned good to be honest. For those who have them fitted, what receiver do you use? I have seen a few recommendations for the Maxview MXL020 HD, any opinions? I like the look of this, since I can hide it in the cupboard, and just have the Infra Red eye on the outside.
I have seen that they are pre-programmed for a number of satellites, does this mean they will work in Europe? If so, which satellite would one choose to tune in to?
I will have to get up on the roof and see if I have any room, most of my roof has been taken up by a gigantic solar panel, but I think there is just about room left for one of these :D

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Avtex tv with onboard free to air satellite receiver. We could dig out an old Pace Javelin receiver from the loft if required, but haven't found the need.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK I have been up on the roof with a measuring tape, and there is just enough room. So now a question for all those who have fitted them permanently to the roof. The install manual show drilling holes in the roof, I don't like putting holes in the roof.
If I were going to do this, I would also use some SikaFlex on the plate to make it water tight, is this what others have done?

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@DanielFord

Just a cautionary comment about measuring 'Daniel'. If there is "Just about enough room" unquote, remember that the unit twizzles around (a technical term! :)) when it searches to lock on to the satellite. Be careful that you don't have a fanlight, flue, or radio aerial closeby, because the antenna part will foul these obstructions.

Google Avtex Snipe and look at the video; you will see what I mean about its turning circle.

Don't forget also (though I'm sure you know) that you need a hole in the roof for the cables if fitted permanently. Nothing's simple is it?

Hope this helps?
PS As you know, among the above reasons, I didn't perm' fit mine.

James

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
. So now a question for all those who have fitted them permanently to the roof. The install manual show drilling holes in the roof, I don't like putting holes in the roof.
If I were going to do this, I would also use some SikaFlex on the plate to make it water tight, is this what others have done?

I am doing mine this week, I will not drill holes in roof, I am going to stick the plate with CT1, I must admit that although others have said just stick it, I am going to attach a stainless steel thin cable to it and fix that to my solar panel, just for peace of mind. And yes my solar panel is very solidly fixed to roof.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a cautionary comment about measuring 'Daniel'. If there is "Just about enough room" unquote, remember that the unit twizzles around (a technical term! :)) when it searches to lock on to the satellite. Be careful that you don't have a fanlight, flue, or radio aerial closeby, because the antenna part will foul these obstructions.
Way ahead of you, I checked the diagonals to ensure the unit could spin unencumbered :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back