snipe 2 (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
im thinking of getting a sattelite system fitted so the snipe 2 is the way im going does anyone know of someone who who woud fit it .looking for someone mobile that covers north yorkshire, and how do they connect into the 12v seen someone advertising on e bay saying that they use cigarette lighter lead do they just run the lead from the sattalite to the dash with a lead , i would have hoped it woud be connected into the 12v more tidyly fitting the sattalite to the roof would not be a problem its the wiring ,that would be the problem , my idea is to put the dish mounting plate over the hole where the old tv aerial went , just to make the roof watertight any help appreciated and any idea on cost

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
www.automate.com.uk
They are based near Newark,but travel,or,you can go there. Happy customer.
Tea Bag
Edit. Link does not work but they are between Newark and Sleaford.try ? Auto-mate ?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@gpz There are two cables coming from the main satellite 'squarial' unit. Cable 1 goes straight to your receiver. Cable 2 goes to the remote controller. There is third cable from the controller for 12v power. This does indeed terminate with a standard cigar lighter plug.

The remote controller comes with a bracket that you can fix to the wall somewhere and tidy the wires away. I guess you could chop the cigar lighter plug off is you wished for a more suitable connector, but remember that the cigar plug has a fuse. Once the 'dish' has locked on to the satellite, there is no need to keep the controller powered up (unless you want to select another satellite or you move the van).

There are miles of cable with the kit, so no worries about running short. It's just that one needs to work out the runs so that connection to the receiver and power are convenient.

In the death, I didn't fix mine to the roof. Drilling holes, waterproof glands, feeding cable in spaces and a rise in the van's height put me off!! I can put my unit on the roof by access through a Hekki rooflight, or pop it on a table (with suitable security). My cables therefore run externally and in via a locker. My receiver is permanently wired in an over-bed locker near the TV. Yes, it's a more effort, but worth it for the reasons outlined above AND, I don't have to give it away if I change the van.

Sikaflex is the jollop that you need for a sealant, but someone else will tell you which product from their range to use.

Hope this helps
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I have a Snipe2 - bought and fitted by Tyrone at http://autoadditionsnationwide.com
He travels to you, very professional and understands the investment we have made in our motorhomes.
He also fitted me a dual reversing camera...
Everything wired in neatly, properly soldered cable joints for power, etc etc ..
Richard

PS. He is based in Derby but travels all over - where in East Yorkshire and was no problem...

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was quoted about £150/200 by rhino install near Preston with a waiting time of 6 weeks and my local dealer about £300 similar waiting time

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
They do come with a 12v cig plug for power, but you can cut the plug off if you wish (as i did) and connect to a 12v supply - i did mine via a toggle switch... are you not able to fit snipe yourself ?

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
yes i could fit the snipe myself,the fitting part is no problem its the electrical i wasnt quite sure of but the replys befor make it sound quite easy

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
just another question does the snipe come with the cable gland that you seal to the roof for the sattelite cables to go through if it does does anyone know what size hole the gland will cover, just wondering if it wiil cover where status aerial was through the roof not quite sure how big a hole the status aerial will leave

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
just another question does the snipe come with the cable gland that you seal to the roof for the sattelite cables to go through if it does does anyone know what size hole the gland will cover, just wondering if it wiil cover where status aerial was through the roof not quite sure how big a hole the status aerial will leave
Gland will cover a hole about 35mm dia.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I got ours with the full fitting kit, including roof gland, for a very good price. Fitting is dead simple, as the saying goes, if I can do it, anyone can. Just need to run the wires to the controller and the aerial.
Set it up on the ground outside, so you know where all the wires go, then plan the wiring route. The system comes with about 10m of wire - more than enough! :D
For the wiring on the roof, I used self adhesive trunking that I got from Wickes, I think it was about £2 per 2m.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
If you do permanently wire in the 12v I would also recommend including a toggle switch too - as I find that my Snipe 2 gets stuck retracting about 1 in 3 times and needs the power disconnected to sort out the issue (so far!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back