Snipe 2 Update

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Jellybean, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jellybean

Jellybean

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    Firstly, please be gentle as I'm not technically minded at all. Having problems with our Snipe 2 not finding Astra 2 (even in a big open space beside the shore). Rang Avtex, spoke to a very scathing guy who told me to run the update files. Well the stuff that's coming up on the Selfsat website is not the same as the pictures on the instruction manual that I printed. Can anyone advise? I was at the end of my tether thinking of 3 weeks in France with my husband, son and no TV, but luckily for me Irish Ferries have just cancelled our ferry home...…

Thanks in advance

2. Lozsing

Lozsing Funster

Ratings:
    +57
    do you have a usb stick

3. Lozsing

Lozsing Funster

Ratings:
    +57
  4. Jellybean

Jellybean

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I have a USB stick, if I download that stuff onto it, can I plug the stick directly into the controller unit? That’s what it shows in the instructions online, but it’s only giving me an option for “firmware” for Snipe 2, and I don’t even know what that is!

5. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Ratings:
    +182
    If you send an email to service@selfsat.com and ask them for the latest version of the Snipe2 firmware they will send you it. The version they send it a lot newer than the one on the website.

When they send you a file back is it will be a zip archive. If you click and open the zip file on your PC and copy the FWUPDATE.BIN file inside it to your USB stick...

Put the USB stick into the Snipe Controller and power it up pressing the TUNE and POWER button together. The display will show that it is upgrading.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Ratings:
    +182
    Not sure if this is allowed but I have attached to the latest firmware update they have sent me - its version 18041 and works fine on my Snipe2...

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jellybean

Jellybean

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks so much both of you, I’ll try that tomorrow and let you know

8. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Ratings:
    +370
    Sorry can’t help but can anyone help me I have a Snipe Max Pro that’s not working got in touch with AC DC who sent me an update as above but my snipe doesn’t have an usb connection but a smaller one so update is no use to me so I am looking for a repair man / Company who work on Snipes we live in Cambridgeshire any contact would be appreciated

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +7,152
    By smaller one I assume you mean the small USB socket common on phones? If so adapters are available cheaply.

10. CCC

CCC Funster

Ratings:
    +4,484
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +19,047
    One thing I found with the Snipe 2 is it does not recognise large USB sticks the upgrade wouldn't work with a 32 GB stick a 4 GB worked fine.

12. CCC

CCC Funster

Ratings:
    +4,484
    This should be the cable you need for the Snipe Max Pro, loads on eBay

USB mini cable.jpg

Not this type.

USB micro cable.jpg

13. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Ratings:
    +370
    Thanks for your help, have the snipe book and seen the lead. But if I download onto a usb and not from a portable pc will need different lead. I’ll pop down to shops to see if I can get correct adapter. Still would like info in finding someone to look at it as I’m having no luck.

14. Jellybean

Jellybean

Ratings:
    +6
    UPDATE
    OK, got the files to the USB, did the upgrade no bother. Drove to the nearest bit of coast this evening (we live in a forest lol so never get signal at home). Despite high winds and driving rain it locked onto Astra 2 no problem. Thanks so much to everyone who offered help and advice. And I got rebooked with Irish Ferries on an alternative sailing, so all in all it’s been a good day

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  15. CCC

CCC Funster

Ratings:
    +4,484
    Well that just goes to prove how valuable a lot we all are on the forums and you never know when we might be able to help or dig you out of a sticky spot again in the future, so why not upgrade to a full membership and enjoy the benefits and access to everybody's years of knowledge. (y)

• Like it Like it x 3
  16. RichardB

RichardB Funster

Ratings:
    +182
    Yes I found that - also had trouble recording on my Avtex to - so I bough an AVTEX branded USB stick (expensive but worth it) and recordings work perfectly and it also works in the Snipe...

• Like it Like it x 1