LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Got my 2nd hand snipe delivered today via Fusters Courier Services but cant seem to work it so looking for someone to talk me through a dummy guide.

Its all connected and searching for user 2 ...95.0 Ive tried moving it along to Astra 2 but obviously going wrong somewhere.

update searching Astra 2 28.2..its stopped moving but doesn't say its found anything.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Next it will be the Funsters Installation Services you will require ? :giggler::giggler:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Next it will be the Funsters Installation Services you will require ? :giggler::giggler:
Welllll

I won't say No if you are offering:LOL: I don't need it installed, I have @rupert and @andy63 for that but to get the ruddy thing to work would be a bonus.

I am sure the unit is working, its a user problem.

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
are you near any street lights or overhead cables we have a snipe 2 and we can't get any reception outside our house they seem very susceptible to anything overhead when we went to Cornwall last year we couldn't get reception so moved to the other side of the road and it picked up the satellite straight away

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Welllll

I won't say No if you are offering:LOL: I don't need it installed, I have @rupert and @andy63 for that but to get the ruddy thing to work would be a bonus.

I am sure the unit is working, its a user problem.
Sorry Sandra,don't know that system. I have an Oyster and that has a problem that I can't fix,booked into Sat Tech the day after I pick up my Alugas.(y);)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Got my 2nd hand snipe delivered today via Fusters Courier Services but cant seem to work it so looking for someone to talk me through a dummy guide.

Its all connected and searching for user 2 ...95.0 Ive tried moving it along to Astra 2 but obviously going wrong somewhere.

update searching Astra 2 28.2..its stopped moving but doesn't say its found anything.
Do you have a compass or a compass app. and see if it's pointing towards 28.2 .

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sat reciever should not make any difference to it locking on astra 2. Have you some trees or big building in the way, if not pull the power and try again. Does it lock onto other satellites, ie astra 1 or hotbird?
Do not get despondent ours seldom fails.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sat reciever should not make any difference to it locking on astra 2. Have you some trees or big building in the way, if not pull the power and try again. Does it lock onto other satellites, ie astra 1 or hotbird?
Do not get despondent ours seldom fails.
Yes my house is in the way I guess. So what you are saying is I should try Astra 1 or Hotbird...off to look now

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Are you absolutely certain your aerial cable connectors (& sockets?) are fully connected?

Reason I ask is that in our MH it turned out that the wall-mounted aerial socket had become disconnected during some work, so bugger all was making it to the telly even though the receiver was working fine. Try connecting a TV as close to the receiver's aerial cable as you can

You do need a decent line of sight to Astra 2 with a Snipe 2, so check for obstructions in the general direction of the satellite, which is fairly low down in the sky, especially further North, as in Glasgow, which you give as your location.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes my house is in the way I guess. So what you are saying is I should try Astra 1 or Hotbird...off to look now

If you cannot shift your house try taking the van to where you have a good clear view of the sky.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If it has stopped and has locked/line of sight to the Satelite you should get a picture,if I don't have a clear sight my Oyster will not lock on.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It stops but just either says searching or checking. No picture :-(

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

That means it has not found the satellite so best is your house is in the way or worst there is a fault, take it to the pub and try it there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

If you have satellite in the house could you plug the satellite tuner box into your home receiver's cable to set it up (ie channel search) just to make absolutely sure it's ready for the signal? It helps to narrow down where the issue is.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you have satellite in the house could you plug the satellite tuner box into your home receiver's cable to set it up (ie channel search) just to make absolutely sure it's ready for the signal? It helps to narrow down where the issue is.

Satellite in the house..haha I don't even have an internet supply in the house, rely on iboost: -)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Have you tried altering setting on your tv?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you tried altering setting on your tv?
Yes but admittedly just fumbling way through. Sat not locking to anything but I tried it in front garden and house is south facing so maybe thats the problem.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Nothing will work until it's found a Satellite. It works out where it is using GPS then calculates which way it should point. Once it is pointing in the right direction it starts looking for a signal. If they don't find a signal then they rotate and start again. Once it has found one and locked on you can turn the power off and it will work. Anything that is in the way will stop the signal. You can get an App for a Smart Phone which will show you where the Satellites are in the sky or just get a compass. Depending on how old the unit is it may need a software update as I seem to remember some of the satellites changed. They have a website with the software on.

I had a Snipe and it made funny noises when it was putting itself to home position. The Snipe 2 has been modified to stop the problem. Mine had a problem after 18 months so I sent it back and they said it could not be repaired so they sent me a Snipe 2 instead.

Happy hunting ..

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
You'll need a big open space with no trees or buildings and a clear view south as the satellite will be quite low in the sky from Glasgow,check the dishes on the houses round you.It won't help that Astra has changed some of the transponders recently so the dish may need updating.When was it last in operation?
Bet you thought it would be plug in and go :D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Has the software been updated on it?
Instructions on how to.

Attachments

• SNIPE_series_upgrade_manual.pdf
    893.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Has the software been updated on it?
Instructions on how to.
Yes done it this morning. Had to d/l it on neighbours windows.

Hey do not leave us in suspense, we are itching to know if you have hot it working.

Well tried it again this morning and was really disillusioned to get zilch, fiddly squat nothing. Went through all the motions but wouldn't lock on.

After a few hrs we put it in the car and set off to the park. Tried Astra 1...nothing, hotbird...nothing
Astra 2 .....bingo, hit the jackpot. :)

To say i was relieved would be an understatement.

Looks like it's only Astra 2 it's getting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back