Snipe 2 and using other satellites (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
At the weekend, I fitted our Snipe 2 on the roof of the van. We have an Avtex L168drs tv
We have used the dish a few times as a portable and pick up Astra 2 easily and now it’s fitted, it picks up much better
So, the question
Where I have the van at the moment, the house masks Astra 2, so thought I would check if I could pick up any other satellites. I set it to search for Thor and within seconds had a lock. I set it to tune in to the satellite and it found 61 tv channels and some radio, but I couldn’t watch any. The epg on the TV is, I assume just for Astra 2, or does Thor ( and other satellites) display their respective epg’s?
If they do, how can I get it to display on the tv?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Did you change any satellite settings on the TV (tuner) to reflect the ‘dish’ now pointing at Thor rather than Astra 2?

Without looking at the Avtex manual I don’t know if you have to do so or not, just a bit of a wild guess...

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I changed the settings on the tv and searched for new channels, it told me I had picked up 61 but still had the Astra epg showing when I pressed guide on the remote.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
There’s a new upgrade for th software. Don’t know if that will help since mine isn’t working but if you pm me your email I can forward it to you. It’s not up on Selfsat website yet.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
There’s a new upgrade for th software. Don’t know if that will help since mine isn’t working but if you pm me your email I can forward it to you. It’s not up on Selfsat website yet.
Incoming......

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What is the signal level and qualiy level on each channel like?
It may lock onto to the sat and find the channels but if signal or quality too low = no picture.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I’ll check again tomorrow, but at the moment I can’t see any way to actually view the channels it has found on Thor
I can only bring up the Astra 2 epg on the tv and I am assuming the epg channels do not coincide with channels found on Thor.
I was in a bit of a hurry this afternoon so didn’t get time to investigate this fully. I do remember that a few times when I have a lock on Astra 2, I got a message on the sat controller saying it was loading the appropriate epg. I assumed it would do the same with Thor and other satellites.
I’ll have another go in the morning.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, I sussed it out and it’s simple, although not immediately obvious to me at the time and no one really said how to find these channels.
I guess it was me being either thick, or expecting too much.
So, in case there is anybody else out there who doesn’t know, the epg stays the same. I assumed each satellite would have its own epg and programmes would start at channel 1. You just need to search for the programmes, Hotbird channel numbers appear around 500 or so, Astra 1 around 400.
It doesn’t help that the epg only very slowly populates with channels if you stay on that page for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back