Sneaky Tactic (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have just been looking to purchase an annual travel insurance for my 19 year old son. The AA came up with a reasonable quote so off I trot towards the payment section. Card details entered and just about to press pay when suddenly I notice the very last, not very big, sentence.

We will retain your details for automatic renewal next year unless you contact us to cancel.......blooming cheek.

He may not require travel insurance next year and I know for a fact that many people , myself included, tend to forget and then overlook renewal notices. Especially as we get so much junk mail from so many companies. That was one lost purchase AA.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I won't deal with the AA anymore.

I had an issue with them about 3 years ago about some small print in my home insurance policy.

I always reply "no" to the following questions:

1. is your home alarmed ( because I might forget to or choose not to set it)

2. Have you got some sophisticated locking system on doors and windows. Can't recall the exact expression but it's the BS top rated locking system

So I always say no so that I don't fall foul of the small print.

I then get the policy through and read the small print.

One clause in the small print stated that if I didn't have this sophisticated locking system on doors and windows fitted within 6 months I wouldn't be covered.

This really peed me off so I started complaining and getting fobbed off. So I escalated it stating that they were misleading the public, placing elderly members of public at risk and they were generally being lying $hits.

It ended up at the top of the tree with an apology, an assurance that the terms would be changed and crucially an assurance that any claims currently being denied on the basis of the matter I had raised would be reviewed.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...it's what mobile phones are brilliant for.
Everytime I fill out a direct debit, a recurring charge authorisation or any annual subscription, I always enter the date 11 months hence. Reminds me in good time whether to renew or cancel.
(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at EHIC Plus, that's who we're with - very reasonable indeed!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, it is getting very common
In fact I recently renewed one on my motorcycle related policies
Foned em up and was told it was illegal not to auto renew..

Supervisor.. NOW !!

Can I ask what this relates to sir ?

Yes, you blatantly lying to customers.

Errrr

Supervisor.. NOW !!

So Smarmy git gets on the fone

He starts off with but it IS the l..............

Ripped him off a right strip
The fact I could quote chapter and verse got him so rattled he said he would have to take advice and started toadying up a treat

An hour later fone rings.. Carole Nash

I think you perhaps did not understand what our reprisenti..

Stop right there.
Because of what we do here ALL telephones calls are recorded and archived.
Would you like me to play it back for you or are we going to drop the lies now ?

Oh that is all right sir, no need to do that I am happy to believe you ( Thank gawd !! Although I do have the ability from days gone by, I rarely bother nowadays and of course there was no recording )

Well what would you like to do then sir ?

You can pull up my records and note the 63 associated accounts attached..
I am today authorising everyone to switch to Bennetts for their cover.
Today my friend, your companies antics have lost some serious money.

I think you are over reacting sir..

I do not.. Lying to customers, especially about what is legal and what isn't and scaring them is both underhanded and quite frankly stupid
A full report including the recording is being sent to the Insurance ombudsman for their analysis .. I have little doubt your legal department will be hearing from them at some point in the future..

All bullplop but it made me feel SOOOOO much better !!

And what made me feel better still was 40% lower quote 2 minutes later from a different firm !

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Calm down, they'll advise you about renewal before they charge you, after all you may need to advise them of changed circumstances before they calculate the new premium

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Calm down, they'll advise you about renewal before they charge you, after all you may need to advise them of changed circumstances before they calculate the new premium

I agree, it's not the end of the world. My insurance, both travel and vehicle are due renewal while I am away in Spain. Given a good phone signal I can sort it but they are on autorenewal anyway so I can just let it happen, but I do have the option to look elsewhere, but the autorenewal is a useful safety net to make certain we don't lose cover if we are out of contact.

OP
OP
MichelleRyall
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I agree that's very true however I am just annoyed that they impose it . They write and advise renewal figures regardless, that's when I make my decision. I am the person paying the premium, it should be me who chooses. It's just another way of making more money out of people. These companies rely on us not to be careful enough. Which is obviously our fault. I get masses of mail, a lot of which is junk and I am usually very careful but I have overlooked renewals in the past....Caravan Club for one......actually I don't recall getting a reminder from them !!! That's how gyms make the majority of their money, hundreds of people who sign up and fail to cancel.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We just had a look at EHIC Plus. The longest trip length they do is 60 days so no good at all for us.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It appears that I am the only person here who actually likes the auto-renewal. This is largely because I am so crap at remembering to do it, that I would forever be having my vehicles seized for no insurance!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It appears that I am the only person here who actually likes the auto-renewal. This is largely because I am so crap at remembering to do it, that I would forever be having my vehicles seized for no insurance!
What you don't want to end up with is what we have here. auto renewal which is a legal requirement. I.e. unless you specifically cancel it 2 months prior to renewal it will automatically be renewed.
If you ring in advance /contact agent regarding renewal premium you get told "no idea, contact us a week before ".:D When you point ot that it's too late then to cancel you get
" tough" .:LOL: Got you over a barrel really in that they can legally do it. They know that most people , especially the Spanish , won't want the aggro of rememberingto cancel , then shopping around , etc. That's why you don'get a renewal premium in advance .
In 13 years & with multiple vehicles we've never managed to get a price for renewal in advance. Even when going in to my agent 4 months before renewal all we could get was prices from other companies but not one from who we were with !! Apart from that I've no complaints with them just the aggro each year.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yep.....that's the other one !!!!!!
I am quite happy with the CC, have been with them for 18 years with NEVER a cause for complaint so am happy for them to raid my bank account once a year !

They are great for ferry discounts, immaculate sites and 5 van sites !:clap2:

As opposed the CC&C who are so far up their own arses thinking they are the dog's bollocks with their new pricing system and incomprehensible sites book ! I despair ! :swear2::swear2::swear2:

OP
OP
MichelleRyall
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am quite happy with the CC, have been with them for 18 years with NEVER a cause for complaint so am happy for them to raid my bank account once a year !

They are great for ferry discounts, immaculate sites and 5 van sites !:clap2:

As opposed the CC&C who are so far up their own arses thinking they are the dog's bollocks with their new pricing system and incomprehensible sites book ! I despair ! :swear2::swear2::swear2:

Bit tongue in cheek my post really. I have no problems with CC either. We have made good use of CL's over the last couple of years. I just forget that it is is going out and then see the money disappear from my account.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back