Sneaky French Copper (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Best get the reflective vests at screwfix or similar a lot cheaper than halfrauds

?

Deleted User
So do you ignore all French laws including driving on their correct side as it is not our law. Can I ask why you are so contemptible of French law please?

Rebel.

I have one high Viz as a may skip through France and it was a couple of quid in Aldi. Never would i put a GB plate on my motor no mater what country i am going to. First time i went over to mainland Europe i bought a kit from the AA that had it all in a bag for Europe. Triangle, Bulbs, First aid kit and a few other items. That was the first and last time. The only time i hear about the police checking if the drivers have this kind of equipment is either France or Spain and i have no intention of visiting either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
My local car boot/market sells them at .75 and I said that I like to have one in reserve because the reflectivity diminishes after washing and is advised to renew after 10 washes, so they gave me another one free of charge, so how much must the cost price be?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Since I gave up the company car and company time restrictions on everything I did

I don't worry about speed cameras as I am on holiday :D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Rebel.

I have one high Viz as a may skip through France and it was a couple of quid in Aldi. Never would i put a GB plate on my motor no mater what country i am going to. First time i went over to mainland Europe i bought a kit from the AA that had it all in a bag for Europe. Triangle, Bulbs, First aid kit and a few other items. That was the first and last time. The only time i hear about the police checking if the drivers have this kind of equipment is either France or Spain and i have no intention of visiting either.
Sorry! I appreciate you'd never visit those particular countries but is it the 'in' thing to ignore the laws of a country you're in or a country you transit? Do you comply with the country you tour (that is if you tour other countries except France and Spain)?
Strangely enough, I've found Belgium more restrictive other than the Scandinavian countries.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Why, if you visit France or any other country for that matter, not comply with their laws?
At the risk of being exiled to The Dark Side, I have to agree with you.
I always thought that funsters were law abiding and trying to promote good conduct in whichever country they are in.
I don't know how much of it is just peeing up the wall ;), but to read some posts on here you'd think some Funsters were positively suicidal in their motoring behaviour :whistle: (Which means that they are also homicidal :eek:)
I don't worry about speed cameras as I am on holiday :D
I HOPE you mean that as you're on holiday you just amble along, no longer in a rush? :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I HOPE you mean that as you're on holiday you just amble along, no longer in a rush? :)[/QUOTE]

Yup - somewhere between 50 and 55 on the motorways.

Much slower on the other roads. (y):D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I HOPE you mean that as you're on holiday you just amble along, no longer in a rush? :)

Much slower on the other roads. (y):D[/QUOTE]
It's great, isn't it? knowing that you don't any more need to stress out just "getting there" - just staying cool :cooler:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bully for you(y)

You don't care do you mate ;)
You've got a good lawyer :)

We do have a high vis somewhere last time I saw it I cleaned the rear lights with it.
Deflectors No
Bulbs Got a couple but don't fit the van
Breatherliser No
Got my missus though and shes got gold medals for argueing the tosso_O
And loads of booze for bribing dodgy coppers.

Errr this is still Fun innit(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Rebel.

My local car boot/market sells them at .75 and I said that I like to have one in reserve because the reflectivity diminishes after washing and is advised to renew after 10 washes, so they gave me another one free of charge, so how much must the cost price be?

You need one for every person in the vehicle. Anyone who has to get out without one is your responsibility. Even if you as the driver are wearing one , you'll be fined for every passenger without one + any dogs.

At Dunkirk last year & French customs or whatever wanted to look in the toilet as usual : Opened hab door for the girl & she checked the toilet the lad with her asked my nationality
" English "
" You have no GB sticker which is an offence - You must have a sticker when you come to France "
" I haven't come to France I am leaving & The vehicle is Spanish "
"What ? "
Now I am not known for having patience of any description:Dbut he seemed a nice enough lad so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
" The vehicle is Spanish , can you not see the TWO Spanish "E's" ?
He got their in the end but only after the girl squared him up.

Then after apologising he asked why I drove a Spanish vehicle.o_O I left the girl to do the explaining . To think I used to deal with stuff like this every day.:cry:& people wonder why I've no patience :LOL:

Much slower on the other roads. (y):D[/QUOTE]

Trouble with that is you need eyes in the back of your head all the time as the artics, mainly , are climbing all over you on the N roads & smaller roads.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Much slower on the other roads. (y):D
It's great, isn't it? knowing that you don't any more need to stress out just "getting there" - just staying cool :cooler:[/QUOTE]
To be fair, hgv's are restricted to 56mph and some companies lowered theirs to 52mph and as I drive a HGV, I find that mid 50's is an acceptable speed plus I always give myself plenty of time and my greatest bonus is fuel consumption. More speed = More fuel used. I've seen scores of Motor homers and tuggers doing well above the speed limit and then complain their only getting so many MPG. Of course, if you can happily afford to speed regardless of the cost of fuel, you can obviously afford the fines that can accompany speeding.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
More speed = More fuel used.
Not bragging or anything :whistle: but we've just got home after leaving in February (UK only) with an average fuel consumption, according to the van's computer, in excess of 30 mpg. That's what we aim for and we're dead chuffed to get it :)

?

Deleted User
Sorry! I appreciate you'd never visit those particular countries but is it the 'in' thing to ignore the laws of a country you're in or a country you transit? Do you comply with the country you tour (that is if you tour other countries except France and Spain)?
Strangely enough, I've found Belgium more restrictive other than the Scandinavian countries.
Last time i was in Switzerland i never bought the motorway toll thing. Lots in the tour did but i seen it as a con. I use the motorway for a day and have to pay the same as someone for a year. Things may be different now but no. Ill not be ripped off.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So do you ignore all French laws including driving on their correct side as it is not our law. Can I ask why you are so contemptible of French law please?
Coz I's a geezer. Innit

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I noticed a quote the other day
Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most never use it.
I wish I could claim that but sadly it wasn't me.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Last time i was in Switzerland i never bought the motorway toll thing. Lots in the tour did but i seen it as a con. I use the motorway for a day and have to pay the same as someone for a year. Things may be different now but no. Ill not be ripped off.
So I assume yoiu are adding Switzerland to your growing band of countries you won't go to. Then again, as opposed to EU counties, Switzerland probably doesn't have the agreements to chase.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So, does anyone have any cheats for foreign speed cameras?

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Yes

Some years ago we were really pushing south on the French A9. Not far before the toll area a flash caught me. I thought "bugger". When we got to the Toll the police were there with guns and all. They looked at our car and looked at each other then turned the other way, we think because they thought "shit - a VIP" so we were OK.

The reason - we have a Manx car with an unusual number plate and a red (not blue) euro background. Also, because we are patriotic we were flying our flag.

Sometimes it pays to be unusual.

?

Deleted User
If you put fake number plates on as soon as you get to France they won't know where to send the fine to (y)

Ah ha. I have a German plate up the loft left over from a bike i brought into the UK. I could use that and the fine will be sent to Padderborn.

Good call (y) :LOL:

?

Deleted User
So I assume yoiu are adding Switzerland to your growing band of countries you won't go to. Then again, as opposed to EU counties, Switzerland probably doesn't have the agreements to chase.

No i will go. If i can still dodge the fee then i shall. If its all electronic now then i wont use the motorway. If its changed to pay per miles then i would use it but i did skiff on the con thing in the other post. Had you read that properly you may have noticed. If you want to pay for something you wont need then fine you go ahead and do that. Each to there own.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am designing some flaps that, with a flick of a switch, will partially cover my number plates.

For use in the UK or abroad.

I am also developing fake breathalyser kits for French use. You blow into them and a little flag comes out the other end with the words " kiss moi derrière "

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi-vis is cheap. We have four vehicles and each has at least 2 hi-vis. The motorhome has four plus two for the dogs. I've had them all for ages but as long as they're out of the sun they don't lose their reflective properties, and as for washing them, what for, they don't get dirty if you don't use them.

Also in the MH we have a full set of bulbs including a pack of 20 of the capless ones used for our marker lights (14 of them and they blow quite often), a couple of pence each on ebay but try buying one from a garage.
Two triangles but breathalyzers went out of date. First aid kit in rucksack suitable for a major accident, luckily never needed more than a sticking plaster and the odd splinter removal.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do have a first aid kit - but not because the French say I have to.(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am designing some flaps that, with a flick of a switch, will partially cover my number plates.

For use in the UK or abroad.

I am also developing fake breathalyser kits for French use. You blow into them and a little flag comes out the other end with the words " kiss moi derrière "

Shouldn't it be 'Embrasser mon derriere'

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd rather use warning triangles and hi-viz vests if we were broken down etc than not. I don't understand the idea of ignoring rules that have been shown to save lives. Also, I'd rather not be fined for not having the required equipment in my vehicle.

View media item 19285

Reactions: CWH
?

Deleted User
Do the French not also have a law saying you must help out or stop for an accident? You cant drive past and sad silly fuc**r or whatever that is in French. Think i would fail again on that law. Might be best i just drive round France come September. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back