snake bite (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Touring around France at the moment .Our border terrier got bitten by ee ye
sterday, rushed him to a vet for treatment and the vet did'nt seem to think there are any poisonus snakes in france. Does he know something I dont.
Glad to say our dog is ok this morning.
Spongy

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I always thought France had "Adders"... the same as us... :Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Glad the little fella is ok.... Got me confused. I would even take a dog to the vet in this country in case it was an adder. Do they have adders in France?:Sad:

quore: navigation, search

Vipera berusConservation status
220px-Status_iucn3.1_LC.svg.png

Scientific classificationKingdom:AnimaliaPhylum:ChordataSubphylum:VertebrataClass:ReptiliaOrder:SquamataSuborder:SerpentesFamily:ViperidaeSubfamily:ViperinaeGenus:ViperaSpecies:V. berusBinomial nameVipera berus

(Linnaeus, 1758)Synonyms
Species synonymy [show]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Here as well = Broken Link Removed

I was right............... for once... :winky:::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The adder is widespread in Europe and one of a handful of viper related species of poisonous snakes in France which includes the most dangerous, Asp which is only fatal to 4% of those bitten who do no receive treatment. Surprising really; I thought it might be worse.

https://sites.google.com/site/venomousdangerous/snakes/europe-s-most-venomous-snakes
Other snakes are Colubrids (constrictors) plus a few rear fanged snakes that are poisonous but only if they get a good grip and have a massive chew on you so not considered a danger.

Last edited:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
why oh why did i have to read this thread, I am petrified of snakes, even don't like typing the name. And heres us going to France in 4 weeks. think i might have to re considerl!!!! :Eeek::cry::Sad:

Andrea
:cry-smile:

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
Adders only frequent a very specific niche in the environment, so the vet may have known that there are no adders in that particular habitat.:thumb:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
They certainly do have adders as we walked past one basking on a towpath whilst in Brittany 3 years ago. :Eeek:

Glad to hear the little fella's ok

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you are allergic to any type of venom or analeptic it can prove fatal even a wasp sting can kill :Eeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
why oh why did i have to read this thread, I am petrified of snakes, even don't like typing the name. And heres us going to France in 4 weeks. think i might have to re considerl!!!! :Eeek::cry::Sad:

Andrea
:cry-smile:

Ok Andrea ... don't panic.
Yes we do have adders here, and more specifically down south.

Their habits are to hide behind stones or under old walls (ruins) . When I was a child, as there was no mobile phone, parents used to be very careful with the children when going to the country side

1) Wellies on
2) A wooden stick to make noise (these snakes are dangerous but you are bigger you know::bigsmile: and they run away when you're making noise.
3) if no stick , shout :shout:
4) Don't ever sit on an old wall or an old log without having kicked it a few times.
5) You like blackberries...ok : Keep your hands up don't go down, and stamp your feet each time you're changing area to eat more of these juicy berries :winky:

You know it all now , and don't risk anything!

Oh and if it does happen even with all these advices, then don't SUCK!!!!!
You can buy in any French "pharmacie" a kit of "ASPIVENIN"
All normal families here have it before going with children on a treck or even for a walk in the countryside!

Feeling any better?::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
So the outcome of the number of poisonous snakes in France amounts too the Adder and Asp is this correct.:pray:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Ok Andrea ... don't panic.
Yes we do have adders here, and more specifically down south.

Their habits are to hide behind stones or under old walls (ruins) . When I was a child, as there was no mobile phones, parents used to be very careful with the children when going to the country side

1) Wellies on
2) A wooden stick to make noise (these snakes are dangerous but you are bigger you know::bigsmile: and they run away when you're making noise.
4) Don't ever sit on an old wall or an old log without having kicked it a few times.
5) You like blackberries...ok : Keep your hands up don't go down, and stamp your feet each time you're changing area to eat more of these juicy berries :winky:

You know it all now , and don't risk anything!

Oh and if it does happen even with all these advices, then don't SUCK!!!!!
You can buy in any French "pharmacie" a kit of "ASPIVENIN"
All normal families here have it before going with children on a treck or even for a walk in the countryside!

[HI]Feeling any better?::bigsmile:[/HI] NO

Amicalement

I assume there must be alot of them there then'? :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
So the outcome of the number of poisonous snakes in France amounts too the Adder and Asp is this correct.:pray:

Well as far as I know ...yes! BUT

Sorry yes there is a BUT

In full summer you can find very poisonous scorpios. They won't kill you but will make you really sick!!

So if you go roughly down south, from lets say a line going from Narbonne to Nice (inlands is even more concerned because less sand and more stones and rocks), then you might find those little devils.

I used to go to Alès with my children and husband and we had to check shoes every morning and we had little bowls filled up with paraffin oil under each one of the beds feet so they couldn't get into the beds.

I guess you just have to check. I'm so used to all this, I don't even notice. Last time I was in a campsite, it was in Valras and a huge snake crossed the road along the campsite; You should have heard the people yelling LOL ! this one was just a grass snake .... quite impressive though!:roflmto:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I didn't want to give you a stupid answer , so I have checked how is snakes population going on . It appears that lots are killed by the humans because of their fear to be bitten. So the number of them is going down

Here is the link with some wiki info. It seems that the risk is now less important in south Est. Still the same where I live (grrrrrrr)

Scroll down to "Distribution et habitat" until you can see a little map of France on the right , there's Italy too.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipère_aspic

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I didn't want to give you a stupid answer , so I have checked how is snakes population going on . It appears that lots are killed by the humans because of their fear to be bitten. [HI]So the number of them is going down[/HI]

Here is the link with some wiki info. It seems that the risk is now less important in south Est. Still the same where I live (grrrrrrr)

Scroll down to "Distribution et habitat" until you can see a little map of France on the right , there's Italy too.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipère_aspic

I thought Adders were multiplying.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Eeek: Does anybody else feel more scared now than before????/

Thanks for that Frankie. Very educational and informative...:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
SNAKE BITE

Shows how my mind works first thought in my head was; Lager & Cider mixed. :ROFLMAO:

Plenty of Adders here in Forest of Dean & plenty of the other as well. :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not just in France, when my kids were young I have some pictures taken in Wellington park near Reading. The kids were standing in a circle around this large adder standing up on it's tail like seen with a snake charmer. I have seen many adders in the woods there.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Oops not a lot of good snakes are deaf, sorry. They do feel vibrations made by tapping a stick. With a snake charmer its the motion they follow not the sound.
However its good advice if there are bears around:thumb:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Oops not a lot of good snakes are deaf, sorry. They do feel vibrations made by tapping a stick. With a snake charmer its the motion they follow not the sound.
However its good advice if there are bears around:thumb:

LOL ... I guess it's much more because when you say SHOUT to a kid they all tend to stamp their feet or jump at the same time :roflmto:. I just repeated things my parents used to tell my sister and I.... and of course we were jumping at the same time!!

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our dog was bitten by an adder once. Called the vet who injected various things. Dog swelled up to twice normal size and didn't move from its bed for 48 hours. When it surfaced and the swelling went down it was left with folds of skin which disappeared after a few more days as the skin shrunk.

Vet said biggest problem was gangrene in the leg which had been bitten as it swelled so much it reduces the blood supply which can lead to gangrene.

Lesson learned was adder bites are not funny.

The dog was bitten in the month of May which is apparently the prime time for adder bites to people and animals. The males emerge from hibernation a couple of weeks before the females and spend their time charging around in the daytime establishing their territories. They are thus both in an aggressive mood and about in daylight. Adders become increasingly nocturnal as the summer progresses although you can see them sun bathing at any time if the weather is warm.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK so the dog is well and good some hours later, it certainly wasn't a poisonous snake if it had of been then on a small dog you'd have seen an immediate reaction, perhaps within 30mins. Most likely it was a Grass Snake and even quite likely that the Borders wiry coat protected it very well, our Border has had his fair share of run ins with Hawks, Ferrets and even an Ostrich and he seemed to fair pretty well as they are tough old boots.

I'd be quite happy if my dog got bit to be honest, it means it wasn't me:Smile: (sorry Digger, Murphy and Monti)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i looked this all up last year after our spaniel coming across a snake at the edge of a rough unsurfaced side road on the campsite north of Carpentras, saw 2 within about 50 meters of each other.

the site manager insisted there were no snakes in the area at all...:Doh: ye right:Eeek:

one was quite big perhaps 2 1/2 feet and the second abot 2 feet long but much skinnier.:Sad:

anyway my limited research said that large snakes ( over 50cm ) with round eyes wer not poisonous and a sort of grass snake.

the smaller snakes with slitty eyes :Blush: were likely to be of the Adder variety and poisonous :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:I wasn't scared of snakes when I started reading this thread...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
apparently these snakes smell quite a bit which attract the dogs " well " our Cocker spaniel anyway.

but he's more chicken than we are and was fixed to the spot trembling without being able to take his eyes off the snake which was by the time i arrived to see what was in a coil head raised.:Eeek:

a loud shout at the dog broke the deadlock and the snake did a retreat into the long grass:thumb:

stupid dog went to follow:Doh: but managed to stop him:RollEyes:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
On a jungle warfare course in Malaya.
Wed been discussing the viability of sucking the poison out of a snake bite.

On day three in the jungle my mate got bit on his willy.

He asked "what's going to happen to me?"

I said
"You're gonna die, mate.":ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
:Sad:I wasn't scared of snakes when I started reading this thread...

Sorry Joy....but you welcome anytime here to have a snake protection course with me:thumb:

No, I am not brave :Blush:, I don't like snakes , just been brought up knowing the danger that's all. There's another danger I've been brought up with as I was born in Algeria, and which causes many more problems on a daily basis, especially on babies and old people : it's the heat! Too many people think PAH bullsh**.... big mistake.....:Cool:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back