Smuggling Individuals Into Britain Using Secret Compartments In Camper Vans. (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Good, more jobs, put that in your pipe and smoke it you Remainers. :LOL:

I guess that this was a joke - any immigrants getting onto UK soil will be here to stay. We won't have an agreement to send them back to France and they can't sit in limbo land between the ferry / train and immigration.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I guess that this was a joke - any immigrants getting onto UK soil will be here to stay. We won't have an agreement to send them back to France and they can't sit in limbo land between the ferry / train and immigration.

Joke? Well maybe but no agreement? That is still debatable as is everything else about Brexit.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I found these at Dover, just bobbing about. They were actually trying to get out of the UK. How could I refuse them, I got them all in, and took a gamble. Thankfully I got away with it and it was the best holiday I ever had. I did not have the heart to bring them back so left them all in Portugal. I love a damsel in distress.
IMG-20150628-WA0024.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Coming through at Calais for the ferry, my van was searched quite thoroughly but not sure what for, certainly not for people as there isn't room. I had to open the underbed drawer (only clothes and the TV in there, there's more room in the kitchen cupboards), then the boot where the lady felt carefully around and in my bedding roll - a single duvet and mattress topper rolled up together. I volunteered to open the "wardrobe" but she wasn't interested.

Then I got in the P & O lane instead of DFDS in my confusion, had to drive round the port again and back out to go round the roundabout where the migrants loiter. Back through the checks and they just waved me through because I'd already been searched!

All seemed a bit pointless.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
The only check on the way out was to confirm my gas was switched off, in Calais they entered through the Hab back door looked in the cabin, didn't check the bathroom, and I was away within 5 minutes.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Some years ago, we visited Jersey at the invitation of the Jersey Rifle Club. At customs, they asked the usual questions, to which I answered, yes, there are three rifles in their cases, locked in the wardrobe. That got them a little excited and the man said he was glad I had told them and they had not found them. They were taken away and locked somewhere on the ferry and returned to me at the Jersey terminal, where new rules applied that said they could not give them back to me in the terminal, and I was to follow them outside. I pointed out to them that said rules had not been thought out properly, because the moment they went out the gate and off of private property they would be breaking the law for carrying a rifle for which THEY had no license. Much discussions with management ensued before they were returned to me, just inside the exit gate. There is a lot more to that story, but I did not want to bore you too much. :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
60 in the rear, and 60 in the front, easy. .

Eric
Look, I don't want to be Pedantic, but that only works with fitting in 4 elephants; i.e. 2 in the front and 2 in the back. Whilst 30 Albanian and Turkish nationals may weigh about the same as an elephant, I'm afraid each would need a seatbelt, otherwise you risk getting pulled over by the police.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I have been searched at gunpoint twice. Neither time was in my motorhome, and both times I was on a business trip. The first time was in Munich airport. I was working in the cosmetics industry (manufacturing lipstick) and had about 100 empty lipstick cases in a box in my suitcase. In the X-ray machine they apparently looked like a box of live ammunition! The German army were not impressed and drew weapons whilst they searched my other bags. The second time was on a road between Istanbul city and the airport. I was in a taxi with two colleagues. The taxi was stopped at a roadblock, we were surrounded by military looking bods pointing their guns at us whilst the taxi was searched. I never found out what that was about.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
A couple of years ago we had what seemed to be thorough external checks by two different uniformed officials while passing through the Tunnel system at Calais. This included using mirrors to look underneath. When we got to the final checkpoint where they examine the gas cylinders the fellow said he'd give the underneath a final check.
Surprise surprise, down dropped a skinny little chap, just T shirt and jeans, no back pack. He squatted by the kerb to be swiftly detained by a copper with the biggest Rotty in creation. Apparently had wedged himself next to the fresh water tank. Really upset my wife who could only think that we could have killed him.
Probably gained access while we were in the pet passport office.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
B****R this lot, I'm staying at home. It's put me off going abroad for good. At least I wont get searched on the Isle Of Wigit Ferry. Mind you I wouldn't mind a lady gently feeling around in my bedding roll. Even better if I was in it at the time.:giggler:

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
When I used to go from Dover to Zeebrugg, I herd of a guy who had a boat, and used to say to people who wanted to go to the UK he would take them for £200 pounds, so would get 6 to go then sail out of the small harbour out of sight of land in the dark then go round in circles for a few hours come back to the beach between Zeebrugg and Ostend tell them if they walked over the sand duens they would find the big red buses.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
When I used to go from Dover to Zeebrugg, I herd of a guy who had a boat, and used to say to people who wanted to go to the UK he would take them for £200 pounds, so would get 6 to go then sail out of the small harbour out of sight of land in the dark then go round in circles for a few hours come back to the beach between Zeebrugg and Ostend tell them if they walked over the sand duens they would find the big red buses.

I know this bloke. He's the one that left all those girls stranded in the boat near Dover. Please, please don't send em back, if you do find any, I'll pay 300 quid a head and direct them to my big red No 69 bus.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We were searched in Dunkirk and at dover on our last trip the customs were very blunt with us I was just as blunt back he asked us where we had Ben Disney Land why because the ten years old kid wanted to go thay searched the van from top to bottom
Because we didn't have any fags or booze on board thay thought we were up to soumthing every time I go through dover I get stoped

Bill

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We got a nice young lady who came in and looked in the washroom and wardrobe. SWMBO said don't you want to look under the bed. She seemed surprised that there was room for quite a few immigrants there, or would have been if it wasn't full of wine.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Been through the controls for the UK just recently and whilst the customs checked under the van, under the bed and in the toilet we have a huge garage at the back Laika 7.1g and never once did they open and check inside. Recon I could have stashed a reasonable sized family in there. The controls seem to be very superficial carried out by staff who do not seem to be very motivated.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
There has to be someone with the right equipment on board all ferries that has a walk round and Susses it all out surely???

That's the only thing stopping me bringing half a ton of cocaine in, for a pension!! !!!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Been through the controls for the UK just recently and whilst the customs checked under the van, under the bed and in the toilet we have a huge garage at the back Laika 7.1g and never once did they open and check inside. Recon I could have stashed a reasonable sized family in there. The controls seem to be very superficial carried out by staff who do not seem to be very motivated.
I have to agree :( as they didn't look in places I would have expected them to have taken a look, even though I did offer to give them access to the wardrobe and the underside of the rear bed, ie, the inside of the garage. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There has to be someone with the right equipment on board all ferries that has a walk round and Susses it all out surely???

That's the only thing stopping me bringing half a ton of cocaine in, for a pension!! !!!!!
Always wondered if they use sniffer dogs whilst at sea,,Busby.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Got pulled over at Dover last year, offered passports through window to nice young lady, not yours sir she said, his, pointing to dog now across my lap waiting for his stroke from her. She was animal welfare and checked he was as per passport and that his passport was in order. Smiled and sent us on our way.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We were stopped for the first time a couple of weeks ago at the Calais side of the tunnel. Initially asked where we had been and strangly asked how we financed purchase of the motorhome, not sure what relevance that had on things.
Two very nice polite guys came into the van and checked cupboards and asked to see inside the water tanks. This must be something they had been asked to do. Lots of humming and face pulling as I explained we have no access to any of the tanks. MORELO fit ultrasonic level gauges which can be calibrated by the remote points and the tanks also have remote flush points so no access hatches to get inside. They must have believed us as we were allowed to proceed.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Came back to France via Caen and when leaving the port area we noticed armed gendarmes walking along the road then we saw 'em, rather alot of chappies and chappesses of an African appearance along the road and in the ditches running alongside the roads. It would seem that now even Caen is not free of these would be "British residents" yet another port where it is probably adviseable not to stop/camp too closely to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back