Smuggling Individuals Into Britain Using Secret Compartments In Camper Vans. (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Back in the 80's I travelled to Cyprus in a VW Camper a few times.

Different world then, through Germany, Austria, Yugoslavia, Greece, onto a ferry wandering from island to island before reaching Cyprus. The ferry then went on to Israel and Egypt.

Yugoslavia was like entering a time warp. Driving on a perfectly maintined motorway but when I left it to look for food I exited onto dirt roads and most transport was by Pony and Trap.

Into Greece, straight into a petrol station strike.

Reached Piraeus, queuing for the ferry the vehicle was approached by a group of 'heavy' looking characters ringing a nerdy looking guy with a briefcase.

A bang on the door and an identity flashed at me. Not having time to read it I asked for the men to identify themselves again please! To say they were reluctant was an understatement, so I shouted to a Greek policeman who was loitering close to the queue. The 'heavies' flashed their cards and guns at him and waved him away, but he stood his ground so the guys had to show their identity cards to me.

Turns out that they are from the Israeli Magav, Border Police. So I submitted to their questioning, the Greek Policeman had called in reinforcements, seems that at ground level the Greek Police did not like having foreigners doing their job.

The Magav officers were all over the van, wiping down every surface with little swabs to detect explosives, every nook and cranny was searched, my papers and tickets were photographed. They loved my passport as it had visas and entry stamps to some countries they didn't like but my ticket was only to Cyprus so their interest waned, a little.

After a short conference, radio calls, no cell phones then, I was passed but both my ticket and passport had documents stapled to them that apparently meant that I must leave the ferry in Cyprus!

Arriving in Cypus, I was pulled over into the Custom's Shed and the fun really began! Every aspect of the van was inspected, every piece of the van that had an identity number on it was recorded, chassis, engine, gearbox and the tyre depths were measured, photographed and recorded. All this information was typed into a document, they called it a Carnet. I was informent that I must produce this document when I left Cyprus or the vehicle would be impounded!!!!!

It transpires that Cyprus had high importation duties on cars and car spares. Locals and British Service people would bring a good vehicle into Cyprus, swap the engine, gearbox or whatever needed into a Cypriot vehicle that needed parts and then drive the now well worn vehicle off the island, thereby saving a massive in import duties.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We do 3 or 4 trips to Europe in the MoHo annually always Brit Ferries from Portsmouth - in the last 10 years we have been searched 3 times each time LEAVING THE UK never yet been searched coming back in to the UK :confused:o_O

OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
We do 3 or 4 trips to Europe in the MoHo annually always Brit Ferries from Portsmouth - in the last 10 years we have been searched 3 times each time LEAVING THE UK never yet been searched coming back in to the UK :confused:o_O

Looking for Brexiteers?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I can see why he said you'd taken a long time to answer his question - why didn't you just volunteer the information requested straight away?

Security and/or customs officials are not there to be endearing - they are there to keep the country safe.

The fact that the tube bombing had happened on the same day as your travel surely should have told you why they question closely.

Bearing in mind where you can go when you leave Calais I thought that I had narrowed it down sufficiently saying France and being in a motorhome. I then narrowed it down more than I thought was realistic bearing in mind that we had set off for Spain in June but in fact had ended up at Mont Blanc because Spain was too hot. If he'd asked an open question I'd probably have said we'd be pottering down through France to a beach near St Tropez but if the weather's no good we'll go to Spain or wherever.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I have been stopped when I have been returning on the last four trips for a look inside the van. This has been by army personnel and also afterwards by civilian personnel I have also been stopped twice going out from Dover for a quick look. I was also asked if we had any knives, so replied "we are a camper van" and smiled at them. They laughed and wished us a good trip and waved us on.

I personally have no issue with these checks, although I still find it a little disconcerting talking to someone holding a gun in front of me

Cheers

Trevor

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I have been stopped when I have been returning on the last four trips for a look inside the van. This has been by army personnel and also afterwards by civilian personnel I have also been stopped twice going out from Dover for a quick look. I was also asked if we had any knives, so replied "we are a camper van" and smiled at them. They laughed and wished us a good trip and waved us on.

I personally have no issue with these checks, although I still find it a little disconcerting talking to someone holding a gun in front of me

Cheers

Trevor

Less so when this side of the Channel! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I seem to have been stopped and questioned on fewer occasions since we switched to French plates.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
About 15 years ago mine was the last car off the ferry at Dover and I was waved into the Customs shed. "Where have you come from?" "France" said I, whilst thinking "you stupid ***, this is the Calais/Dover ferry so where else?" "No, exactly where from?". My reply with the name of our 12 person hamlet seemed to satisfy him. After a desultory nose around my overfull estate car we were waved on.

Now what are the odds of a Dover based Customs officer being familiar with a tiny hamlet in the N Lot?

If I was gonna smuggle somebody inside my secret hiding place

That somebody would have to be very small.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We used to get searched (Camper & Trailer) nothing to thorough, but in 14 we got pulled in Dunkirk by Military style guys who made me uncover the Sidecar completely, they then gathered around it & made comments & actions like they were riding it with some brum brum noises chucked in, they raised their eyebrow's laughed & said on your way, Thank you Guy's!!!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
About 15 years ago mine was the last car off the ferry at Dover and I was waved into the Customs shed. "Where have you come from?" "France" said I, whilst thinking "you stupid ***, this is the Calais/Dover ferry so where else?" "No, exactly where from?". My reply with the name of our 12 person hamlet seemed to satisfy him. After a desultory nose around my overfull estate car we were waved on.

Now what are the odds of a Dover based Customs officer being familiar with a tiny hamlet in the N Lot?

That somebody would have to be very small.

Do not underestimate the guys sitting in the Immigration and Customs booths.

Returning from a France and Spain tour, on which my Passport had been stolen, I was stopped, I presented the French Crime Report and waved through with a great deal of banter.

A year later I arrived back in the same port from Spain and my Passport had been stolen again!

I pulled up at the Immigration Booth and wound down my window and the agent calmly said, "Ah, Mr TOM, hope you have your Passport this time?.

The vehicle was not registered in my name so he could not have run a plate check to get my name. He may have access to a Passenger List and cross referenced the name to the vehicle or as I believe, he remembered my face and name because of the lost Passport. One year on!

He was not at all amused that I had lost another one. :(

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We used to get searched (Camper & Trailer) nothing to thorough, but in 14 we got pulled in Dunkirk by Military style guys who made me uncover the Sidecar completely, they then gathered around it & made comments & actions like they were riding it with some brum brum noises chucked in, they raised their eyebrow's laughed & said on your way, Thank you Guy's!!!:rolleyes:
Reminds me of arriving in Plymouth by motorbike years ago and customs guy pulled us and asked did we know the alcohol limits and did we have over the limit !

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have been stopped a few times, 1st trip ever, new van and one of the first escapes, they had a really good look round, then said thanks, we;ve never seen one of these before.
Beeen through an xray thing once, but favourite will always be in the present van. We had motorbike with us, John sleeps in the overcab and has a memory foam mattress which he rolls up, at the top of this he had placed his helmet. Looked just like someone was up there when they looked. After a good look round and taking the bed almost apart we were on out way. Lid still lives up there, but is placed more sensibly now.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have no objection to them looking around but at Dunkirk this year I was p*ssed off when the French security left size 12 oily footprints on our carpet - should have told them our MH security requires them to remove their shoes - like airports!

Geoff

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
I think we have been checked on nearly every return from Dunkirk or Calais. They climb aboard, boots and all, and look in the wardrobe and the toilet. They glance up to the overcab but never look inside it. From floor level, they could never see one or two small bodies secreted at the front behind chairs, cushions and whatever. Have mentioned it to a friend in the Immigration Service, but they seem not to want to know.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think sometimes they just want to have a look round ,(DFDS Calais) had them
look in shower , its a frosted door , I think it was the size , and they seemed blown away and amused by the full size washer/dryer in one of the cupboards :) called one of the women officers in to show her !

jimlagos

Free Member
Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Only as a recent thing, I've been searched by French army lads before getting through the ticket barrier in Calais. Quite pleased really. I've been through Calais or Dunkirk about three times a year for many years, and amazed at the total lack of security in UK or France.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We have been checked about 4 times now. Last week the girl came out of her booth to check our toilet. But we took one of our foster kids out a couple of years ago . And no check. But when we came back we had to prove that we had the right paperwork. we did. But why no check on way out.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've done many bike tours of Europe and never been asked to take my lid off when I showed the passport ???

And once when asked what was in back of camper, I said I had the GSXR1000 in. He asked to see it.

I thought the worst, but he was a biker and just wanted a look :clap2:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We got searched on the way back in from Santander at Portsmouth. They searched the side lockers, underneath, underbed storage, seating storage, toilet/shower and wardrobes.
Very pleasant about it and only took a few minutes.

Reactions: DBK
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Returning from our first trip to France we had every cupboard checked, including the ski-locker, the wardrobe, drop-down bed etc, just as we entered Calais docks. 100m later we were "boarded" again but they got out when I said we'd just been checked. Arguably, I could have been lying, because they didn't seem to confirm my story.

Arriving in Portsmouth, I was asked where I'd come from: "the ship" didn't seem to cut the mustard, neither did "Santander". In the end I said "we left Marbella and travelled up through Cordoba, Merida, Cacares, Salamanca and spent the last night at Suances". "Thank you: have a safe trip home." How are we supposed to know the level of answer expected?

I took a minibus of friends on a booze cruise but the minibus engine packed in (cylinder head gasket blown) as we were leaving Boulogne. I managed to do enough running repairs to get us back to Calais. To get off the ferry, everyone had to push it up the ramp, as the engine didn't have much power and the vehicle was heavily laden with bottles. As it clattered towards Customs, we were waved through without a problem, but we only got as far as the carpark before the engine totally packed in. Perhaps that's the way to smuggle anything in?

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw - Gordon

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Was stopped in La France Profonde somewhere, driving back from Sp, Fr in mid Dec. Duanes, looking for 'mattress money' just before the intro of the €. I spose they wondered why a dusty GB Jeep Cherokee with top box was doing there that time of year.

About 5-6 officers all over the Jeep. They even had me open my wallet - Ha! Nul points! - and, silliest of all, opened the small cubby hole in the 'ceiling' which Jeep kindly provides for storing your garage door zapper. (Only in America ...)

When I was doing battlefield tours, driving 16 seat mini coaches, Boarder Agency introduced a piece of paper which I had to sign and get counter signed by a pax, declaring that I had 'inspected my compartments'.

I always made the point to the inspecting officer that the counter signatory was a recently retired police officer, ex illegal immigrants flying squad (my mate, Battlefield Bob).

Got stopped again in France Profonde by Customs, this time in my 04 GB reg Vauxhall Movano self build. Drugs this time.

I had a nice chat with the officer 'minding' me, at 10 metres from the van, while his oppos were all over it. They pulled back the floor carpet (not tacked down) to reveal the top layer of the floor ply - screwed down with dozens of screws. They wanted to have a look under it!

I sportingly lent a lady douanista my Victorinox multi-tool and she started on the first of many nail-plates. Slow going ...

I pointed out to my minder, as he had a good view of the edge of the floor structure, that under the first layer of ply was a layer of double sided silvered bubble wrap insulation. Under that was another layer of ply. Under that, stuck to the van floor, more bubble wrap. Very sensibly, he called off the lady with the multi tool. She hadn't even got the first nail plate off.

They were very pleasant about it and made kind comments about my cooperation and standard of French.

I learned, many years ago when I was a camera assistant who had charge of all the aluminium boxes full of very expensive kit, that 'they' have all the power. You have none.

One must be polite, cooperative, not get antsy when they appear to be deliberately provocative or picky. These people do this job all day, every day. In the main, they are seriously dedicated to preventing the very thing we would least want - very bad people doing very bad things

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've been questioned twice at Dover, (on offensive weapons) on the way out, :eek: searched at Calais and Dunkerque, (for immigrants) and searched by armed Gendarmes at the Toulouse Peage Northbound, (for tobacco products).

Only as a recent thing, I've been searched by French army lads before getting through the ticket barrier in Calais.
Yep, we had that experience too about a month ago at Eurotunnel, just before the UK Border Control point at Coquelles, (again, for immigrants) and were then immediately swabbed for explosives. Nowt detected, I hasten to add. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think sometimes they just want to have a look round ,(DFDS Calais) had them
look in shower , its a frosted door , I think it was the size , and they seemed blown away and amused by the full size washer/dryer in one of the cupboards :) called one of the women officers in to show her !

It was probably his wife and they hadn't managed to get time off to go to the Shepton Motorhome Show.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do not underestimate the guys sitting in the Immigration and Customs booths.

A pal who worked as an HMRC VAT inspector and then the Border Agency never said much about it but he did once comment that they have a good idea who they going to stop before you even disembark from the ferry. I *think* that intelligence may be passed from staff at the departing port and possibly from on board the ship.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We were staying the night at Cite Europe in mid October.
I thought it a bit strange that someone in an old van, with all the curtains closed, next to us would be sawing wood inside his van.
It seemed a strange place and time to be carrying out modification to the van.
Should I have reported it to border control?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back