Smuggling Individuals Into Britain Using Secret Compartments In Camper Vans. (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42014446
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42014446
A man and woman have been arrested in south Wales and another man in London in a people smuggling investigation

Home Office immigration and police teams launched raids on Thursday.

A 32-year-old man and a woman, 66, were taken into custody at a flat in Risca, Caerphilly county, while a 27-year-old man was held in Peckham, Southwark.

They are suspected of being part of a gang responsible for trying to bring nearly 120 Albanian and Turkish nationals into the UK.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Could have implications for those of us that travel in Europe I suppose, possibly more searches of vans coming home?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
How'd they get 120 Albanian and Turkish nationals into a camper van? :think:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Surprised they found them ! When we were coing to the UK for the October hols the old guy looked in the van ,in the bathroom and under the bonnet ! Really !! Never asked to see in the underbed storage !!

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
What’s the going rate now

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We were diverted off by some very grim looking French Police at the tunnel , then put through the X-ray scanner machine, we had to get out and it was dragged through the machine on a conveyor belt type machine. Kept for ten minutes then allowed to go. anyone in there would be well exposed to a high dose, probably sterilised to stop them breeding. afterwards.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We were X-rayed at Roscoff. Well the van was, I wasn't, which was annoying. I was looking for a second opinion on my hip. :)
But on a serious note, I can see the time coming when every vehicle will need to be X-rayed. Of course after Brexit we will have to do it at our side of the Channel. :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We were X-rayed at Roscoff. Well the van was, I wasn't, which was annoying. I was looking for a second opinion on my hip. :)
But on a serious note, I can see the time coming when every vehicle will need to be X-rayed. Of course after Brexit we will have to do it at our side of the Channel. :)

Good, more jobs, put that in your pipe and smoke it you Remainers. :LOL:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've never been searched or anything like it at the tunnel. Once we were asked where we'd been and how long we'd been away. Must have an innocent aura!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
This year on the way out at the Tunnel in October our queue was slower than the other. It was the day of the tube bombing in London and there were boards asking for information. We had our passports checked and moved to the next window. The man asked what was going to be our final destination - I said France. He repeated the question and I then said Provence. He still wasn't happy and then informed me he was an HMRC Customs officer and would I please tell him my final destination. I then said St Tropez and he then said it had taken a long time to get to the answer he wanted. I said Motorhoming is not like booking a package holiday and we go where the mood takes us. He said I get that. He asked how much money we had and then let us continue.

I thought he was obtuse, less than friendly and could not fathom out what his method of questioning was designed to achieve other than to make me cheesed off. This sort of attitude hardly endears these people to us and I can't see that he was achieving anything other than creating a tail back.

We have never ever had anyone actually look inside our Motorhome or before that, our caravan. We did have a spaniel go through the car and over the trailer tent looking for drugs once.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Got puled in at Dover on our last trip
bill

So did I at Dieppe, 3 'officers' in my Eriba !

Nowhere to hide anything............... but the cassette needed emptying so they didn't linger...

almost felt sorry for them.............

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were searched very carefully twice last year on our way back from France.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We got stopped at check in at DFDS in Calais, a very nice French girl wanted to check inside our toilet. Unfortunately for her I'd just had a poo in there about ten minutes ago... And even more unfortunately for her we'd run out of water so it just sat there in the bottom steaming.
I think she got tangoed by it and let us on our way :ROFLMAO:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
We had french at Calais have big look inside , wardrobes, bathroom , under rear bed , but they didnt look in the lockers where you can fit 5 people (so I've been told) :whistle::)

OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
On searches, I've had my fresh water supply sampled, I'm guessing in case it was full of loose packed wine, vodka, gin etc.

Also had the toothpaste squeezed out of the tube and samples taken. That one still has me puzzled.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Army always climb into Helga and have a good root round in Dunkirk,,, last time it was three of em,,,, wardrobe, bed down, shower, under the sofa!! But I never mind, theve never found the cocaine yet !!!!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
On searches, I've had my fresh water supply sampled, I'm guessing in case it was full of loose packed wine, vodka, gin etc.

Also had the toothpaste squeezed out of the tube and samples taken. That one still has me puzzled.
Not an expert but is it not drugs in toothpaste and they can rub it on their gums.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This year on the way out at the Tunnel in October our queue was slower than the other. It was the day of the tube bombing in London and there were boards asking for information. We had our passports checked and moved to the next window. The man asked what was going to be our final destination - I said France. He repeated the question and I then said Provence. He still wasn't happy and then informed me he was an HMRC Customs officer and would I please tell him my final destination. I then said St Tropez and he then said it had taken a long time to get to the answer he wanted. I said Motorhoming is not like booking a package holiday and we go where the mood takes us. He said I get that. He asked how much money we had and then let us continue.

I thought he was obtuse, less than friendly and could not fathom out what his method of questioning was designed to achieve other than to make me cheesed off. This sort of attitude hardly endears these people to us and I can't see that he was achieving anything other than creating a tail back.

We have never ever had anyone actually look inside our Motorhome or before that, our caravan. We did have a spaniel go through the car and over the trailer tent looking for drugs once.
An approach like that can be a deliberate tactic. Trying to put you under pressure, hoping to find a flaw in your story. It also gives someone acting under duress the opportunity to indicate all is not right. For example, one of the London bombers could have been hiding in the back threatening to shoot you if you didn't drive onto the ferry.
There are folk out there planning to blow us and ours limb from limb. Combating them isn't easy.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If I was gonna smuggle somebody inside my secret hiding place, I'd have to take out the guns and drugs first.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Could have implications for those of us that travel in Europe I suppose, possibly more searches of vans coming home?

Oddly enough on our last journey back through a certain French port our boot door was never opened by security staff. On the previous trip it was. It varies for one reason or another.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
This summer in Jersey, they had a reet good look under the bonnet. But nowhere else.

I suppose they know what they're doing.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You must be a right dodgy looking lot.
We do about 10 crossings a year and don't think we've ever been searched or questioned, apart from the French waving their magic explosive sensing wand around the door and steering wheel.
I must have an air of innocence about me. :D:D
Richard.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I can see why he said you'd taken a long time to answer his question - why didn't you just volunteer the information requested straight away?

Security and/or customs officials are not there to be endearing - they are there to keep the country safe.

The fact that the tube bombing had happened on the same day as your travel surely should have told you why they question closely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back