Smoke Detector Nightmare! (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
The smoke detector in my 1 month old Besaccarr MH broke today.
Googled the model number to find that Which? magazine had condemned the model as it had failed their 'smoulder' test last October.
Called my local dealer who said that they could send me a replacement, but didn't have one in stock and would have to get one from Swift which could take 2 weeks.
In desperation I asked for help on the Swift forum and was very surprised by their response.
Swift are still fitting the same part, even though it failed the Which? test - would it not have been wise to pick an alternative model, even if only to reassure customers?
Swift have refused to send me a replacement direct, as its not how they work.
I am surprised that Swift would put a company policy ahead of customer safety.
I am also surprised that they would not simply go the their stores and put a smoke detector in a box and post it to the dealer by first class post.
Thankfully its not an expensive part to replace myself, and that is what I will do, as my families safety is more important to me than arguing the toss with those guys!
(rant over!)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you also carry a CO monitor, my understanding is this will cover both smoke and carbon monoxide

So hopefully you are still protected (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi David
In my van they are two separate items so I guess not

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hopefully it will provide some protection, we have a CO monitor in our conservatory where we have a log burner

If we ever get smoke in the room the CO monitor goes off

We were told years ago when looking to open up an old chimney, that by the time you can smell smoke you will have high levels of CO

Stay safe

Crap deal from Swift by the way to stay on thread

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Took the battery out of the one in our van as it goes off if you so much as boil the kettle :( got two in the house though that Val regularily “ tests ” :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Guys
The smoke detector in my 1 month old Besaccarr MH broke today.
Googled the model number to find that Which? magazine had condemned the model as it had failed their 'smoulder' test last October.
Called my local dealer who said that they could send me a replacement, but didn't have one in stock and would have to get one from Swift which could take 2 weeks.
In desperation I asked for help on the Swift forum and was very surprised by their response.
Swift are still fitting the same part, even though it failed the Which? test - would it not have been wise to pick an alternative model, even if only to reassure customers?
Swift have refused to send me a replacement direct, as its not how they work.
I am surprised that Swift would put a company policy ahead of customer safety.(1)
I am also surprised that they would not simply go the their stores and put a smoke detector in a box and post it to the dealer by first class post.(2)
Thankfully its not an expensive part to replace myself, and that is what I will do, as my families safety is more important to me than arguing the toss with those guys!
(rant over!)

1) Kinda demonstrating you are not rally familiar with Swift there I am afraid !!! :doh:

2) Swift do not seem to understand ANYTHING that has the words first class attached :swear:

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
I've contacted swift on 3 occasions over the last few months re our new motorhome.
On each occasion they have gone the extra mile to sort my problems out.
On one occasion they sent an engineer over 200 miles to fit a locker door handle before I went on holiday.
I have been impressed with them so far

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do you also carry a CO monitor, my understanding is this will cover both smoke and carbon monoxide

The CO monitor will only go off in a fire if the fire itself burns incompletely and produces carbon monoxide. By this time, it will probably be too late, which is why most vans have one smoke detector (which works on an ionisation principle (afaik) and can detect the first wisps of smoke, usually your bacon or toast. The last van had the detector always going off as it was right over the kitchen, so regular reset button pressing. Current van has it about halfway toward the front so a sensible position. Smoke detector should never have the battery removed - if it is a nuisance, then move it to another position. Smoke rises so it must be high up.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Robert - I suggest you bear this in mind when buying your next motorhome, and so should we all. To have such a couldn't care less approach to such a safety critical item is disgraceful.

the first thing we did when we bought or second hand motorhome was to fit smoke and CO alarms

I do not think that is correct. Some are dual purpose but most aren't.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Our smoke detector doesn't know the difference between steam and smoke, goes off when using the shower!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've contacted swift on 3 occasions over the last few months re our new motorhome.
On each occasion they have gone the extra mile to sort my problems out.
On one occasion they sent an engineer over 200 miles to fit a locker door handle before I went on holiday.
I have been impressed with them so far

Have to ask...
Was this on a new(ish) MH ?

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
The motor home I bought last year had a few niggly things wrong, when I spoke to the workshop at J.C. there was no problem putting things right. Of course I have to take the motor home back to their place in East Sussex 150 mile round trip.
I did know that this may happen when I decided to buy from there.
Any regrets? - NO
Would I buy from again - Certainly.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update - Decided not to wait 2 weeks for Swift to send my local dealer a replacement smoke alarm as I had completely lost confidence in the one fitted by Swift since it had been condemned by Which? having failed to go off, during a 'smoulder' test. On their forum Swift said they are continuing to use the same alarm as the suppliers had assured them it was 'OK!' however I'm surprised that they didn't switch to another model just to maintain customer confidence. I'm not prepared to take a chance with my families safety so have invested in a different model, from a different manufacturer. One which apparently is designed to avoid false alarms caused when cooking.
Problem solved!
Regards
Robert

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
You may consider this type works slightly different to most smoke alarms, we have had one for a while with no false alarms it an optical type not an ionisation chamber.
  • £19.98
Qty:
Broken Link Removed
0816317001520_002c_v001_zp

0816317001520_002c_v001_zp

Broken Link Removed
FIREANGEL_V001_BRAND_LOGO

The Atom - The World's Smallest Smoke Alarm
EAN: Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed (3)

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
The Atom is the world's smallest smoke alarm. Fire and rescue services recommend at least one smoke alarm on every floor of every home, and so the Atom couldn't be more perfect for securing your home in a reassuring and unobtrusive way. With an award winning design, the Atom is small but mighty with a 90 decibel alarm and an optical sensor to know the difference between cooking fumes and real danger.

Delivery
Next day delivery (now includes Saturdays)

Share this:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back