Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
HOW TO AVOID FALLING OUT WITH PEOPLE ON THE FORUM

I have been involved in conflict management and resolution for around 30 years. I understand that most conflict occurs when there is a breakdown in communication. To avoid conflict we need to know a little about communication. Essentially, there are three basic channels of communication
  1. Words
  2. Tone
  3. Non-Verbal Communication (NVC)
The correct choice of words used in the right context is obviously essential. - The tone used is more important than the actual words. The NVC is what we see. this channel of communication includes, gestures, facial expressions, stance movement and clothes, etc and are the vital ingredient of any communication

Imagine someone calling you on the telephone and threatening you. You have heard the words, yes they are threats, but the tone is important. It is the tone in which the words are said that will tell you whether you are in big trouble. Now imagine that it is a video phone and you can see the person who is threatening you; he is winking at you, smiling and dressed in pyjamas! The words now are not so important. The non-verbal communication has told you that you are probably not really in trouble.

Some studies have suggested that of the message we receive:
  1. Words account for only 7%
  2. That the tone of the message is 38%
  3. The NVC a massive 55%
This is why so many people, fall out with each other on forums, they are relying on words alone which might only convey 7% of what we really mean to say, often the message the receiver gets is not the one the sender intended. This makes the use of smileys on a forum like ours very important. šŸ˜”šŸ˜ 

I have noticed that some people hardly use them at all, maybe they think they are such good communicators that they do not need to use a silly cartoon to express themselves. Some writers are very gifted at doing just that, but sadly most of us arenā€™t. When a reader sees the smiley this can help some way to giving the NVC that is missing. Someone may rubbish your opinion on the forum or show your idea to be useless but just the addition of one smiley at the end of the message can change the way the receiver understands it and the mood of the sender. So please bloody well use them!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
See what I mean, they can change a whole message so please bloody well use them::giggle:

By the way, the percentages above are for adults only, children rely on words for over 50% of the message, even if you are winking and smiling, if you threaten a child they will believe you because of what you said,

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Rubbish:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That one was slower coming than I thought :RollEyes: :Smile::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Let's hope that the other 50% that do not recognise smileys stay on another forum:winky::roflmto::roflmto:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ray

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
you can say a lot without saying anything.

:ROFLMAO::shout::Eeek::thumb::Doh::Blush:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I see your response was devoid of a smiley :Smile: I give up...:ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I see you don't have the smiley which drops his strides and moons.............sure he would come in handy somewhere :roflmto: :roflmto:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
Well, I prefer the new smilies on here :thumb: MUCH clearer than the old ones:winky: Less risk of being misunderstood:Blush:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
I use them sparingly, overdone they detract from forum posts, cannot see the point of putting them in any serious post at all.............:Doh:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Jim

PLEASE add some more smileys - I cant keep using the same ones every post. :ROFLMAO: (see!)

Paul

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Yes, but please don't add the stupid fire dragons, machine guns, etc.. :thanks2:
That is a flagrant attack on the intelligence of "Fire Dragons" Jim and you should appologise immediately :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
They are a minority and as such MUST be treated with respect :ROFLMAO:

Keith

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
yes, someone mentioned this being a FUN site, and words alone can be taken in the wrong context so easily, and a smilie helps to get the meaning across

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
HOW TO AVOID FALLING OUT WITH PEOPLE ON THE FORUM

See what I mean, they can change a whole message so please bloody well use them::bigsmile: :ROFLMAO::thumb:

I FLIPPIN WOULD IF I FLIPPIN COULD BUT IT WONT FLIPPIN LET ME!!!!! :)

PS. YES I AM FLIPPIN SHOUTIN' :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think you've had a raw deal Paul, look at mine:ROFLMAO::Sad::Eeek::thumb::Blush::Cool: oHHHHHH you can only use 6
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back