Smiley Icon.............Really?? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I was just looking at a few threads and notice that almost every thread starts with a yellow smiley face. Having looked and tested the posting method I can see that it is possible to edit the icon but if you select 'no icon' you still end up with a smiley face........

In view of some of the recent and rather sad threads I am posing the question (Jim) would it be more appropriate to have no smiley face by default?

Most of us are either too quick to post replies or maybe not quite aware of how to edit the smiley. When you look a some of the threads the yellow smiley is quite inappropriate :whatthe:

Just a thought......

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On vBulletin 3.7.xx you can set the system up to 'no default post icon' but I believe one of the changes in vBul 3.8.xx was that a default icon has to be set.

Personally, I would MUCH rather have this, the 3.8.xx version in use than the older one.. Much better in an awful lot of respects.. setting a default icon is a small price to pay for all the improvements elsewhere..

Yes, I fully understand where you are coming from but it only takes a moments thought by a poster to set the icon to something more appropriate to the content :Smile:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
But it would appear that most of us don't, and that is my point.

In the case of Anne's recent sad news, the smiley face 'devalues' the sentiment.

As a light hearted example, look at JJ's recent post..............A smiley face followed by 'she's leaving me'...........it make's it look like a joke.

I'm just saying..............................??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jaws, you are probably right...........but could not the icon be something a little less specific?

I know this is meant to be a 'fun' forum but sometimes the nature of the post isn't...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a small price to pay for all the improvements elsewhere..

Now there's an interesting point. Has the BB been changed recently, because, all of a sudden I'm noticing a difference in attached pictures. Up to now I've had prev-next-first but now I somtimes just get a single borderless picture and have to pick each picture separately. Then try again and I get the border with controls. Nothing has changed on my Firefox 17.0.1 computer.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws, you are probably right...........but could not the icon be something a little less specific?

I know this is meant to be a 'fun' forum but sometimes the nature of the post isn't...

That you would have to take up with our glorious leader I am afraid.. I was only passing info on and have bugger all to do with anything at all really ( merely an avid fan and user so to speak )

Now there's an interesting point. Has the BB been changed recently, because, all of a sudden I'm noticing a difference in attached pictures. Up to now I've had prev-next-first but now I somtimes just get a single borderless picture and have to pick each picture separately. Then try again and I get the border with controls. Nothing has changed on my Firefox 17.0.1 computer.

Again, no idea Brian, but can say that I personally have not noticed any change.. I shall go take a mooch and see what I can see

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Unfortunatly I am one of those that are not very good with computers, and I can fully understand what you are saying. As much as I have tried I can only seem to select an icon from the list at the bottom of the screen, Ijust can't work out how to change the icons to any other sort.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Took me a while to find a suitable post but then remembered the one I put up 'good news for F1 fans' so checked the pics I posted in there.
The thumbnail selection is identical Brian.. With 'next', 'firstr' etc etc, so I think you had best check for recent ( unwanted or expected ) updates from Firefox ( which is common and why I will not have it on any of my machines ! )

Unfortunately I am one of those that are not very good with computers, and I can fully understand what you are saying. As much as I have tried I can only seem to select an icon from the list at the bottom of the screen, I just can't work out how to change the icons to any other sort.

When posting, you can indeed only select from the panel below the text box, an icon to place in the left hand column indicating the type of post you are making

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
icon

Just post an sad icon, simples! Thst would be more appropriate., I think.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't we already have enough smileys, icons and rules?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So then, we know who CAN change the icons, but just have a look at how many can't:RollEyes:

My point remains the same, the default smiley icon which you will see dominates nearly every post is often inappropriate................so why can't it be something more neutral?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One of the factors of the basic smiley is as everyone knows that it is used as the symbol for fun, as on the badges / flags / posters etc.

I think the scentiments expressed comes through loud and clear on these posts, but it is worth thinking to use an alternative if you choose.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So then, we know who CAN change the icons, but just have a look at how many can't:RollEyes:

My point remains the same, the default smiley icon which you will see dominates nearly every post is often inappropriate................so why can't it be something more neutral?

Ummm.. EVERYONE can change the icon..

Are you saying that folk are not responsible for their own actions ?

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Ummm.. EVERYONE can change the icon..

Are you saying that folk are not responsible for their own actions ?

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Each of us is grown up enough to think what we are doing
however equally if we make mistakes, generally the reader
of our posts will interpret what was written sincerely; I Hope.

Teddybard:Smile:::bigsmile:
Roger & Sheila:Smile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back