Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Hi we have a smev oven in our van its working real slow. Burner flame is yellow tipped and the left hand end is almost completely yellow. So Am I correct in assuming this is why it took an hour to cook sausages ? What can I try to rectify this any help appreciated Thanks Paul

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Check all connections. I believe a yellow flame is a sign that it is pulling in and burning oxygen somewhere which could mean that when it isn't lit you effectively have a gas leak. Happy to be corrected on this if someone knows better.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't use it until it's fixed. A yellow flame means there isn't enough air mixed with the gas to ensure clean combustion. The result is that carbon monoxide is being produced. Ovens vent to inside the vehicle so you are breathing the stuff.

Check where the burner jet is located. Where the jet aims into the diffuser (metal thing with 'oles in it where you see the flames) there will be holes for air to be drawn in with the gas. Make sure the area is clean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Don't use till you get it checked. Mine has all blue flames.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Thanks for replies I have been outside and taken a look tonight and cant see anything wrong without removing oven. Tommorow I am going to clean burner in place with a Scotchbrite pad and I will blow it out with an airline see how that goes hoping lack of recent use is the cause. Another thing I noticed is that whatever number the knob is on the flame dosnt appear to differ any ideas ?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our smev oven is not as good as the fan assist oven at home , but it does the job. Just slower.
When we get the new one for the new PVC were getting a thetford spinflo. As ih and vantage put them in theirs. Plus it matches the new sink we've got.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Our oven was burning yellow when we got back from France in June-It was dealt with as part of the Habitation service which was due last month-it is now burning blue (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Probably just a build up of soot in the burner or a partially blocked jet/air intake (spider’s web ?) sounds like you’re on the right track with the airline if you feel competent enough to do it. Our Smev has nice blue flames but I’ve never watched it to see if it drops down when it gets to temperature but it does cook excellent jacket potatoes

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
All done and dusted I eventualy removed the whole unit and worked on it in comfort of my garage. Its now clean as a new pin and working as it should. the problem was some blockage and the jet to burner fitting was a bit loose and disturbed. It was also a good opportunity to clean behind the voids and under the drawers amazing how much dust etc collects over 6 year. I have to say I am not qualified but I treble checked my gas connection I also have a co2 alarm and another co2 checker and im very confident with a spanner. More importantly the wife is extremely happy so happy days.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another thing I noticed is that whatever number the knob is on the flame dosnt appear to differ any ideas ?
I noticed that to. It is because the control is thermostatic, in that it reduces the gas flow (to just pilot) when the dialled temperature is reached and turns gas back on again when it drops. Different to older gas ovens where the control altered the amount of gas and therefore the size of the flame.

We are very impressed with our oven. Used it for pies, stews and lasagnes (home made and bought) as well as heating up shop bought stuff and it works very well. Really good in France for warning up croissants we had bought the previous day. When we first got the van we were going to change it for a microwave, but not any more.

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have found the flame does alter but not instantly so I guess working on the stat somehow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back