SMEV Oven (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I realise most funsters are partying hard this weekend at Shell Island but I thought I`d see who was up for a question.
The SMEV LPG oven and grill is struggling to do much useful in oven mode.
I`ve had a closer look and there are no obstructions to the burner, but the 1-6 dial seems to make no difference to the size of the flame whether it`s on 1 or 6.
The door seal does not appear damaged.
It does warm things up e v e n t u a l l y but takes far longer than a man should have to wait for his tea !
Is this usual with these MH ovens or could there be a fault ?
Unfortunately I don`t have a manual and there is no model number I can see.
Cheers
TIA.........................

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our old mh had the same Smev oven, supposedly really good. It worked. But not like the one at home. The one ralphs put into Pug is a different one . It's not plumbed into the gas yet. But I doubt it will be like the one at home too. I'm not fussed. Either way. I'm away, having fun . I'm not the Dort to bake bread , cakes, buns, but used the smev for warming up. Tending to use the hob for most meals.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Humm, maybe my expectations were a little too high !
I wasn`t expecting to do any baking, I think that would be a step too far, just warm up me Lasagne and garlic bread.
As I said it did get there eventually. I`ll just have to allow more time for it.
Still, more time for pre-dinner drinkies whilst I wait - Result (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the oven version with no grill. As I understand it the dial works a thermostat. When the oven reaches the set temperature the flame goes out leaving just a small pilot light. When the temperature drops a bit the flame comes back on and so on. Therefore the flame is the same size on all settings.

Ours works fine - not as quick as our electric oven at home, but cooks well.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, thanks Peter, that might explain it, it`s a long time since we had a gas oven at home but when we did I`m sure the flame height altered depending on the setting even at start up, assumed this would be the same.
I`ll persevere with it
Cheers
Chris

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ah, thanks Peter, that might explain it, it`s a long time since we had a gas oven at home but when we did I`m sure the flame height altered depending on the setting even at start up, assumed this would be the same.
I`ll persevere with it
Cheers
Chris
Yep you are right with UK domestic gas ovens like my mum used to have. Set it to regulo number and the ta controlled the amount of gas and thus the flame. Bit hit and miss from memory. Some recipes still show the regulo number!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
check the gas flow to the grill and hob are still strong. if they are, it may be a blocked jet, a faulty thermocouple or a kinked pipe. if not the regulator may be failing
have seen and fixed all the above over time. most are simple to sort

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
As previous, the flame in the oven is on full until the thermostat cuts in when up to temperature. The wind can have an effect on oven warming times too. There is a vent at the top of the back wall of the oven and the wind can whistle through it if the outside of the vent is into wind.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have smev oven with grill.I had to change my regulator last year after it failed.we've noticed our oven work's better now.it doesn't take as long to get to temperature.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back