Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
Hi my hymer has a smev oven
Its never been used although the van is a 1998.
We went to the lakes for easter and i checked everything was working before i left the oven / grill fired up first time, got to site and for three days i couldnt get the bugger to fire up
Theres a strong spark but doesnt seem to be gas the gas is on but neither grill or oven will work
Another hymer owner on site said ah yes my plays up too,
Any ideas?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
How long have you held the buttons in for? It can take some time to clear the air. Are you sure the gas to the oven could not have been turned off? I don't know this oven, does it have a reset? Read the manufacturer's instructions. It would be strange for both burners to fail at the same time.

Upvote 0

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
Is there a lid to the cooker. If so make sure this is raised.
Regards
p-c

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hamish the highland hymer
Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
Thanks for comments, tryed everything over the weekend , held button in for ages and checked gas on etc the oven is an add on for my model so no instuctions and dint know about a reset, i tryed it before leaning it fired up first time
Is there a level issue ,ie van needs to be perfectly level for it works ? The fridge and hob are fine
Thanks mark.

Upvote 0

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
Fridge level criteria does not apply to the oven. Jets could be blocked but unlikely if it worked very recently and no hot fat etc spilt. Also as you say grill not working.
Please confirm so others may help, are all rings fully working, not just a small flame?
can you smell gas when the oven/grill is on?
is the grill incorporated in, the top, of the oven, or seprtate compartment below rings?
Does it light with a match?
Regards
p-c

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's like our SMEV oven there isn't a lot to go wrong with it. Turn the knob, either to oven or grill setting then press it in (you are doing that?) then press the ignitor button. Hold the knob in for a while before letting go. It will probably then go out because you haven't held it in long enough, it does every time with me, but just keep trying. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hamish the highland hymer
Feb 8, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
Very little
Hi
The spark comes whenl i turn and press the dial in
Grill is top oven is below,
No smell or sound of gas, oven hasnt been used at all no fat, dirt or rust etc
Fridge works fine on gas
Hob rngs light first time full flame
Has been started on friday no probs, feels like im doing something stupid tho, but have checked and double checked lol

Upvote 0

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
Do not get confused with the fridge gas. There could be a seperate pipe from a set of stop taps. Are all stop taps on? Is there storage below the oven, a cupboard? Are there pipes in there is there another stop tap there that you have knocked. Is that lid over the rings opened up.
Sorry running out of ideas.
Make sure you try to light with a naked flame as sometimes the spark is not in line with the gas.
Regards
p-c

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have to spark our oven at least 5 or 6 times before it lights and then hold it in for about 15 seconds or so before it will stay alight. Maybe it might be better to try using a long match or electronic lighter. We have to do that sometimes.

Denise

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I know, this could be a stupid question, but we are clinging at straws here. The knob has to be switched to either the grill or oven before trying to ignite, have you done this or are you just pushing it in as it is. Also do you have to have the door open to light it, some you do.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Hi
Is there a lid to the cooker. If so make sure this is raised.
Regards
p-c

my money is also on the lid not being raised fully and pushed back as far as it will go. happened to us once or twice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back